Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Cork to Dublin

Options
  • 23-07-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hello, how much approximately would it cost to hire a removal service to move private belongings from Cork city center to an unknown address in Dublin with a volume equivalent of a full Ford Transit van, would you have any ideas? And/Or would you be able to advise me some good moving companies for such a job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Good riddance Judas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Bhangraman wrote: »
    Hello, how much approximately would it cost to hire a removal service to move private belongings from Cork city center to an unknown address in Dublin with a volume equivalent of a full Ford Transit van, would you have any ideas? And/Or would you be able to advise me some good moving companies for such a job?

Thanks.

Its the cost to your soul you should be worried about.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if the load is just enough to fill a Transit would you not consider renting a van yourself or if you don't drive maybe ask a friend to help out. It would be a lot cheaper than a proper moving service.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Bhangraman wrote: »

Thanks.

I had to move the other way around just two months ago, but (fortunately) in this case I was able to fit nearly all my belongings into a regular car, a large one of course (an Opel Insignia), only the iron table an a cleaning mop were left behind.

And I tried very hard to get a van rental for pickup in Dublin and drop off in Cork, and those companies that looked serious had no stock at the moment and their prices were quite high (around 200€ total, including "drop off charges" to a different location than the pickup one), and other companies were as scary or incompetent as to have little information about their fares and conditions on their webs, and none replied to any of my emails.

My advice, go for the few companies that let you drop off at a different location (charging extra), and book early, as they don't seem to have a large number of smaller vans. It took me a while to fit everything in the car (including a 32" TV in its original packaging), and was like playing Tetris full size, but if a small van has plenty of room for your stuff you could be done in one hour or so, and stay in control of the move yourself, saving quite a lot of money in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

dardhal wrote: »
    I had to move the other way around just two months ago, but (fortunately) in this case I was able to fit nearly all my belongings into a regular car, a large one of course (an Opel Insignia), only the iron table an a cleaning mop were left behind.

And I tried very hard to get a van rental for pickup in Dublin and drop off in Cork, and those companies that looked serious had no stock at the moment and their prices were quite high (around 200€ total, including "drop off charges" to a different location than the pickup one), and other companies were as scary or incompetent as to have little information about their fares and conditions on their webs, and none replied to any of my emails.

My advice, go for the few companies that let you drop off at a different location (charging extra), and book early, as they don't seem to have a large number of smaller vans. It took me a while to fit everything in the car (including a 32" TV in its original packaging), and was like playing Tetris full size, but if a small van has plenty of room for your stuff you could be done in one hour or so, and stay in control of the move yourself, saving quite a lot of money in the process.

Welcome home, brother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

To all the negative comments, I reluctantly am going to Dublin for work after being slowly forced out of my job in Cork and I am leaving my partner behind, regularly commuting back, so I could do without those gratuitious comments...

On the practical terms, luckily, I have a friend who offered to rent a van. As you guys say, it would be much cheaper than hiring a removal company (600€+ in my quotes)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭SeanW

Dermighty wrote: »
    Good riddance Judas.
    murphym7 wrote: »
    Its the cost to your soul you should be worried about.:)
    OUCH!!

Advertisement