Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing External Light Fitting

Options
  • 23-07-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a cabin in my garden which has 2 external standard bulkhead lights operated via one switch. I've replaced one of these without much fuss by simply matching the cabling on the new fitting.

I'm now looking to replace the second fitting, but when I removed the existing fitting, I was presented with 2 cables, as opposed to 1 on the other light - each with live, neutral and bare (copper) earth. Both earths were wired to a retaining screw in the old fitting, and as far as I could tell (my first mistake) only 1 of the live and neutral were connected to the terminal block. Here's my mistake - I then removed the old fitting, without taking proper note of what went where. Obviously I should have researched this better.

I've been able to wire the existing light back up and it switches on, but the first light I'd already replaced now doesn't light. So I assume, one of the "spare" lives needs to be connected, as it must be the switch to the other light!?

Anyway, the new light fitting has a 3 way connector box - live, neutral, ground. What way should I connect from the 2 cables (each containing 1 live, neutral, earth I guess) into this 3 way box. Or indeed, can I?

I'm not too comfortable with electrics, so if it isn't relatively straight-forward, I'll call in an electrician.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Sounds like u just need to join da two browns in da connector, da two neutrals in a connector and da same with da earths. The cable is just looped between the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Great, thanks.

Advertisement