Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How safe do you feel while shooting?

• 23-07-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I was walking through Grafton street in Dublin with my new D90 last Saturday, I just wanted to get out and take a few shots with my new kit.
    While taking a few portraits of a few street performers I noticed one guy straight accros from me staring at me.I carried on walking on my own up Grafton street towards St.Stephens green as it was a nice day I wanted to make the most of it,For some strange reason I felt like I was being followed (I don't know why)then I saw the guy in a reflection of a shop window he and another guy starting to run towards me with what looked like a bar of some sort in his hand I went into a shop and approached a security guy and told home the story he said I was right to come into the shop as he new the low life and has seen him mugging people in broad day light!! and has reported him to the Gardai several times.So has anything like this happened to anyone anywhere in the world and how safe do you feel walking around your city taking photos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Someone followed me around Temple Bar once so I went into Forbidden Planet, down the stairs and stood in behind them, waited for him to come down and then started following him around the shop. He got freaked out and legged it, lads working in the shop laughed their arses off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i usually bring my hubby around with me when i'm shooting stuff in a busy area. people like to make comments a lot when you have a camera... but i haven't felt too unsafe .. i know something could happen one day though. i feel more comfortable shooting with someone around, that i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I've always felt completely fine, mind you, I apparently look like I'm about the beat the shíte outta anyone who goes near me :pac: Never felt unsafe when out shooting, even at night and I'm in the city all over the place all the time.
    Naturally feel even safer with a mate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thankfully no problems at all thus far. I walk about the city center from time to time and at times on my own - albeit, I think I generally would have heightened senses when in a non normal place.

I've posted previously that I feel less safe with an iPhone to my ear than weilding a dSLR and that is probably quite true. I think this is about my perception based on the stories which you'd hear from time to time. I hear of more people having phone's nicked, swiped, or being clobbered over the head as a result of them than I do about cameras - most of the cameras I hear about are house break ins / car break ins. Perhaps that's irrational. I dunno. So far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

I usually only shoot when I'm with someone, as I feel strangely self conscious on my own (nothing to do with not feeling safe).

Once on my own I walked from O'Connell Bridge through the nice and the incomplete areas of the docklands, all the way to the end of a near deserted Dublin Port, with my camera dangling from my neck the whole time. Can't say I felt particularly worried, as I've been through those areas several times before and know what kind of people to expect.

On my bus on the other hand, I would never even take my camera out to check what photos I took that day because I've seen the kind of people that occasionally get on that bus.

As long as you're familiar with the scum to normal people ratio of any location you're in, there usually isn't too much to worry about :D

Like AnCatDubh, I feel less safe taking my GSII out than my camera. I keep the lenyard attached to the case wrapped around my wrist at all times because it would be so much easier for someone to grab and run :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

In Dublin I used to feel safe shooting on my own but over the last year or so I never go anywhere with a camera on my own. It's not paranoia either, a photographer was robbed of all his gear the weekend of the Bavaria Races and that really hit home because he was targeted for his gear and they did it in broad daylight with a street full of witnesses. It's a mix of being very street wise and just not making yourself an easy target. One of my friends at the Bray airshow over the weekend left the Press area and went wandering around the town after the event with a nikon d700 and a nikon d300 on him, the 700 was clear as day hanging from his neck. Granted there was a good police presence but when we left the bar after the crowds had thinned there was a lot of rough looking people around. It didn't help either that I had a bright VIP wristband on that I couldn't get off as hard as I tried.

It's easy to make yourself a target these days, I'll even cover camera brand names on bags and the like because it keeps my gear a little more low profile. I've been carjacked in Dublin more than once and I know firsthand what kind of opportunists are out there so I'd never make it easier for them. My main rule is I never shoot alone, my boyfriend accompanies me to events and I always make sure to have someone with me when he can't be. Any time I've been shooting at night I always had about 10 other photographers with me. As for anywhere else in the world? I've been shot at more than once though only actually hit the one time and it wasn't major, carjacked abroad, a lot of other nasty things, oddly enough they only ever took cars and any cameras I had were never taken. The police just said they are professional car gangs going after specific high end models. Again it goes with being streetwise and these were very dangerous regions like Colombia / South Africa / Mexico, its expected there but Dublin is slow getting worse and eyes on the back of your head as well as through your viewfinder is the way to stop it from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Theres some pretty worrying stories in this thread alright. Ive probably just been lucky but Ive never had a bad experience and Im around the city centre all the time with my camera and generally quite large, noticable lens. Saying that Im a fairly big guy and not particularly the type that gets started on. That might not even be a factor though, if somebody is brazen enough to attack somebody in broad daylight on grafton st like that they're probably not the sharpest tool in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

... I've been carjacked in Dublin more than once and I know firsthand what kind of opportunists are out there so I'd never make it easier for them....

Hang on a second. You have, on more than one occasion, in Dublin, been dragged from your car by armed assailants and had your car driven off by them ? Dublin's getting worse than I thought !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember hearing urban legends about rats being dropped into cars driven by women, on good days when they'd have the windows open, and then someone hopping in and driving off when the woman got out screaming.

a good example of how bad weather keeps crime down.

I spent most of the morning and afternoon shopping and had a look at random people on the street to see if I could spy any cameras. The quick answer is I saw a lot! even in the rain I counted about 13 Nikons and a handful of Canons. I'd say most were tourists and were not on their own but there was a lot of cameras around. The majority were up around Stephens Green and Grafton street, I noticed one or two dodgy individuals giving the gear an eyeball too. Something someone mentioned does make a lot of sense, they said a security guard recognized someone before as a thief? That's usually the case when it comes to being mugged in Dublin, the stores and police already know who the person is and they have previous convictions.

I know of one particular guy who is very well known for stealing from people either when they pass him or he bumps them, the last time I saw him he was on the street begging and when someone opened their wallet to give him a few euros he grabbed a bunch of 50's and went running off. He left behind a very expensive sleeping bag but must have gotten a few hundred off the guy. It's that kind of behavior you need to be aware of too because its gotten more regular and the police don't really care, I've seen them cart someone off then let them off up the road without bringing them to the station.

@DaireQuinlan - Oh yeah there are some very clever car thieves in Ireland now, a lot of them either work for Eastern European car ringers or have trained with them and they know exactly what they are after. A know one school of thought is if you do drive something flashy around its only natural that someone might try something if they are given the opportunity, but I had so many bad experiences that I've developed a mild form of agoraphobia and my nerves are shot to hell. It's not even the physical stuff that stays with you its the psychological thought of it happening again. Sometimes its easy to carjack someone and violence isn't even needed, one of my friends left the keys in a Lamborghini and as soon as she was in the petrol station a kid was in there and took off. Bloody stupid of her doing that but at the same time it was all about opportunity, I know a lot of people who left certain super cars out of the Bavaria city races because they didn't want to be followed home by anyone. Two of my friends have been tiger kidnapped too both in separate occasions, doubt it even made the news because a lot of people don't like admitting they have been a victim of a crime regardless of how minor or major it was. There were a lot of reports about how crime would rise when the recession began and it looks like its skyrocketed, given the amount of 2nd hand cameras and lens I see all over shop windows I have to wonder did they get there willingly or was it something else.

Then there was the Nikon van in the phoenix park just after Christmas, remember that? over 100,000 worth of camera gear went walking the night it was parked there. I know two people who had their studios broken into too, one of them more than once. A lot of camera bodies were taken and nothing else was touched regardless of its worth so it looked like they knew what they were after. Its sickening to hear its happened especially if its your livelihood but the more it gets reported the more seriously the police actually treat it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of my friends left the keys in a Lamborghini and as soon as she was in the petrol station a kid was in there and took off.
    happens me all. the. time.

that wouldn't be classed as carjacking, btw. that's just theft.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I happily walk pretty much anywhere in London with my camera and gear. I'm moving to Dublin in October and this thread has me worried :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

5uspect wrote: »
    I happily walk pretty much anywhere in London with my camera and gear. I'm moving to Dublin in October and this thread has me worried :eek:

Why? For every bad story on this thread I bet there are tens (or more) of people who haven't had any issues. Don't walk about looking like a victim. An air of confidence (even if its just sheep in wolves clothing stylee) is often enough to deter oppurtunists. If you look like you're gonna be more trouble than its worth to them they'll move on. These people are somewhat lazy and prefer to prey on people who will give them less hassle. Insofar as burglaries and theft from cars, well there's an element of bad luck there. But its a small element. How many cars are parked every day that aren't broken in to... ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

trooney wrote: »
    Why?

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. I'm well aware of the realities of crime in Ireland. I spent ten completely harmless years in Limerick after all!

5uspect wrote: »
    My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. I'm well aware of the realities of crime in Ireland. I spent ten completely harmless years in Limerick after all!

I reckon it boils down to the person as well and your body language. I know a guy who dresses like a tourist yet is Irish, anyways he moved down to limerick a few years ago for college and the day he got there he was sitting on a bench talking to a girl when some guy flew by on a bike and in one swoop took the sun glasses off his head and was away with them.

That was kind of funny when he told me about it but then about 2 weeks later he was walking home and someone threw a glass bottle into his face and cut him up real bad. There were a few mode incident too like his garden being set on fire and the like but he just had that look, you know? like he was a tourist and a very easy target.

Another one of my friends was jumped and mugged by a gang of little scumbags not too long ago too, they got 50 euros off him but missed his iphone and ipod. The usual bruises and cuts but he was lucky in a way because there was a big gang of them and they didn't get anything else off of him. With him it was a wrong place at the wrong time, he was walking somewhere and took a shortcut through a dodgy area. Anyone with a good head on their shoulders and an eye for trouble before it happens are usually okay, just don't make it easy for someone to target you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Slightly off topic but I almost always have a 3rd person in the studio when I'm shooting girls/models/women for obvious reasons. It makes them feel safe and weirdly, it makes me feel safe. I don't spend too much time urban shooting but there again I'm almost a giant so don't get bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Funnily enough, today was the first time I ever had any trouble. And luckily for me, it was only a couple of ten year olds!

I was sitting having a coke outside Bull and Castle, with my cameras on the table, when the two little urchins wandered over and tried the ol' diversionary tactic (one talks to you while the other moves around behind). Just packed up my stuff and told them to go away.

I do see people eyeing the cameras when I'm around town. Mostly curious photographers, but the odd dirtball too. Important to keep your wits about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

MOD EDIT: Maybe, but you are going off topic with no value to the OP's question. Behave & Thank you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have never had any trouble in the city centre, then again I don't carry my gear with me unless it is for work really however there was a time a few years back where you would often see me walking the liberties with all my gear on my shoulder. I guess wits and body language come into it too, I would always say hello to people, smile as I pass even if they do look dodgy as hell and go on my way.

Over dinner time with the video guy at a wedding we discussed similar. We had a few weddings in a row together and I had cash stolen from my pocket at one when I left my jacket on the chair. At the same wedding he had seen a couple of guys eyeing up his gear, obviously when working such events you need to put gear in a safe location and for himself he needed a stationary camera along with what he had in hand, glancing over he noticed them standing there looking iffy and when he got over they moved swiftly on and he ensured valuables were well packed and headed off very son after, keeping a close eye all the time. Luckily enough I had a second with me on the day and when my gear was not with me it was with him.

You can get dodgys everywhere, the only time I was ever 'held up' at knife point was with a few friends as a teenage in the field behind my house in the middle of Castleknock, been to much rougher places and never had a bother.

As for gea\r being robbed from cars, don't leave it there, no matter what, I take my gear with me even if I amgoing to pay for petrol, ~7 stone bag being brought into the shop might look funny but I'd rather it on my shoulder than in some chancers hands!

• Advertisement

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I almost always have a 3rd person in the studio when I'm shooting girls/models/women for obvious reasons. It makes them feel safe and weirdly, it makes me feel safe. I don't spend too much time urban shooting but there again I'm almost a giant so don't get bothered.

A few weeks ago I saw a thread on another photography forum about how a photographer was told after a shoot by email that a models friend had taken "a few things". Basically he was doing a shoot in his studio and the model he was shooting brought along a friend for comfort/etc, during some part of the shoot the friend took some small things like towels and toiletries. He was saying how he knew they were only small things but now he is a lot more wary about who he invites into his studio because it could always have been some equipment or something of similar value.

I hate scumbags with a passion, but I can't feel too sorry for someone who has a Lamborghini stolen from them in Ireland. Primarily because owning such a car in Ireland is about as nonsensical and vain as you can get, and secondly because it'd be insured to the hilt anyway, so it'd really only be an inconvenience to the owner, I'd imagine (though not a nice thing to have happen anyway).

That's just me though. It's not a begrudgery thing. I swear. :p

Anyway, maybe I'm alone, but I reckon the best thing to do is stand your ground when someone tries to rob you. It's worked for me. Unless you're seriously outnumbered or genuinely fear for your well-being, I'd strongly urge people to opt for the "tell them to go and fcuk themselves" route. Most of these people don't really want any confrontation and prefer, instead, to have you hand over the goods quickly so they can make a speedy getaway.

Your average knacker isn't likely to actually do anything, in my opinion. It's too much hassle and it's easier for them to leave you be and look for an easier target.

Obviously you'll have the minority who actually are willing to get violent, but even then, personally speaking, I'd rather go down fighting than spend a long time thinking "what'd have happened if I...".

That's just me though, and obviously it's easy to say that online from the comfort of my VikingDirect budget office chair (though the only time in my life anyone did attempt to rob me, I stood my ground and they got nothing from me, though a friend was silly enough to surrender his phone).

The real downside to being approached like this with camera equipment on you, is that you also have to look out for your equipment, too. No point in going down fighting, if your camera's going to slip off your shoulder and break the minute you make a move. :p
    A few weeks ago I saw a thread on another photography forum about how a photographer was told after a shoot by email that a models friend had taken "a few things".

Who told him? Hardly the model? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I hate scumbags with a passion, but I can't feel too sorry for someone who has a Lamborghini stolen from them in Ireland. Primarily because owning such a car in Ireland is about as nonsensical and vain as you can get, and secondly because it'd be insured to the hilt anyway, so it'd really only be an inconvenience to the owner, I'd imagine (though not a nice thing to have happen anyway).

That's just me though. It's not a begrudgery thing. I swear. :p

OT but leaving the keys in the ignition means the insurnace company won't pay out. Lisatiffany never said it was a Lamborghini car:D Having any car that can go over 120km/h is nonsensical and vain in this country

Who told him? Hardly the model?

It was actually the model, when she found out she wasn't happy with it because it wasn't her doing and she just genuinely wanted to expand her modelling portfolio. There was a big discussion on whether he should work with her again. I thought the answer was pretty obvious, do but leave the friend at home. She did the right thing and it didn't look like she knew anything would have been stolen, she went back and told the photographer once she found out and that shows to me that she can be trusted. Another thread I saw last night was about a model receiving a letter claiming she had taken something from a home studio yet they didn't go into specifics and she was genuinely worried it might impact working with other photographers. It's odd reading not just the photographer angle on things but also the models because you gain a lot more insight into how the two work together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

While I'm not in the city much, whenever I'm going for a walk with a camera I make sure to have my (nice and heavy) monopod with me! :D If anyone tries to go for the camera they'll quickly realise the monpod has more uses than keeping a camera steady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the recession has made most places more suseptible to crime of all sorts - plus some of the new cheaper ****e drugs out their , make people way more unbalanced IMO - having said that , i've been all over Ireland and had my first camera nicked recentlty, in of all places Blackrock - spaced out for a sec in the summer heat for a sec , bang , ****ing camera gone - bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

:rolleyes:

I'm sure some would say owing a DSLR and multiple lenses is nonsensical and vain, when you could make do with an 80 euro P&S. Its as ignorant a position, IMHO.

I feel sorry for anyone that's had anything stolen from them - regardless of who they are, where they are or what it is. That thing is the result of someone's hard work. Someone's passion. Someone's planning. No one has the right to just arbitrarily take it away from them. From me and you, it's cameras. For that person, it was their car. For someone else, it could be sports or musical equipment. Or shoes. But it doesn't matter what it is. It's still a gross violation of someone's personal freedom.

I remember reading about a guy on the motor forum a few years ago that had his car stolen. It was only worth a few grand, but it was exactly the car he wanted. He had spent almost a year finding the exact model spec, and colour he wanted. And he eventually found one that was in good enough nick. But he knew he'd never find another one like it. Even if insurance had paid out triple, he wouldn't have been able to replace the car with another comparable one.

Insurance also doesn't compensate you for the horrible feeling you're left with that some scumbag has your property, and is probably in the process of destroying it or selling it for chump change. Nor for the dent to your confidence that such an experience can have on you.

I wouldn't wish property theft (even when there's no threat or violence involved) on anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Some guy just had his gear stolen today:
    Pat O'Mahony @patomahony1
    59m
    An @IrishTimes photographer colleague of @BryanJOBrien has had 2 Nikon D4 bodies, 2 lenses & flash stolen. @ him if you know/hear anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah my brother, just off the phone to him! They followed him from a job and broke into his jeep when he stopped for petrol. He heard the alarm go off and managed to grab his camera bag back off them. Gear that got taken below:
    Nikon gear stolen at Glasnevin topaz:
    Nikon D4 camera 2000852
    Nikon D4 camera 2001607
    Nikon lens 70-200mm AF-S 20191706
    Nikon lens 16-35mm AF-S 242405
    Nikon Flash SB-910 serial number 2091709

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »
    I'm sure some would say owing a DSLR and multiple lenses is nonsensical and vain, when you could make do with an 80 euro P&S.

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but that comparison isn't anywhere even nearly similar.

Name me a professional photographer that primarily uses an €80 point and shoot... :rolleyes:

Rew wrote: »
    Yeah my brother, just off the phone to him! They followed him from a job and broke into his jeep when he stopped for petrol. He heard the alarm go off and managed to grab his camera bag back off them. Gear that got taken below:

Was he insured? If so, hopefully it won't be too hard on him.

Was there not a story a while ago of a photographer that was doing a marathon/10k or such (some kind of foot race event anyway, I think) in Cork, and had all of his gear stolen in broad daylight, from right beside him? (Apparently he put down his gear and turned away from it momentarily and it was gone. Though I'm sure "turned away momentarily" has been exaggerated).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

How about in the country side/small vilages or in places like the Wicklow mountains/Vartry ? Do you fell safe shooting in those places? I was never brave to go to those places by myself.

http://www.photographers.ie/2012/07/criminals-target-photographer/

Associations issue warnings to photographers

Thursday, Jul 26th, 2012 in Photography News by Alan Murphy | Comment

Following six incidents where photographers have had there photographic equipment robbed both the Press Photographers Association of Ireland and The Irish Professional Photographers Association have issued warnings to their members. The warnings urge photographers to be vigilant and take all possible precautions against theft.

These precautions include:

Always locking your equipment out of sight in your car – even if only leaving it for a minute.
    Being aware of people around you on assignment, as you walk between assignment locations and your car – and keeping an eye out for any suspicious behaviour.
    Never leaving your gear out of sight
    Carry your gear in a bag to minimise visibility
    Parking in a secure well lit area whenever possible
    Carry media cards with important images on your person

Photographers are also urged to check their insurance details and to note down serial numbers of cameras, lenses etc.

The Gardai have been made aware of these robberies.

antoniolgj wrote: »
    How about in the country side/small vilages or in places like the Wicklow mountains/Vartry ? Do you fell safe shooting in those places? I was never brave to go to those places by myself.

A few years ago I would have said no it doesn't bother me but I was up there a couple of months ago and 2 cars full of kids got out making their way towards me. I had a bit of distance between me and them so I got into the car and drove off, I caught the plate of one of the cars and it had been stolen that day. The police said they were joyriders and I did the right thing to get out of there fast.

Something similar happened in Howth a while back but there were 3 of us and the road was busy enough for a cop car to actually drive by at the right time, again a stolen car. I've seen some photographers built like the hulk (mostly at gigs) but even then if its 10 against one so they could still get the better of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

When I started this thread I didn't expect to be reading 3 pages of even more shocking story's holy crap stay safe out there people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

antoniolgj wrote: »
    Hi Tony, last year myself and 2 other members of Greystones Camera Club drove up to Lough Tay on the way to Sally Gap to take photos in the bright evening time. Just as we got out of our cars an Opel Corsa drove up near to us skidding around our car in the parking area then drove up the road a short way from us. There were 3 guys in the car ,2 got out and started to light the gorse then drove on a bit. They turned and came back by us trying to run over a few sheep which were on the side of the road, 2 got out again to try and catch the sheep. Eventually they drove off, obviously the car was stolen as they made no attempt to hide their faces or registration number of the car. It frightened me as I had often visited that area alone to take photos but not anymore. Safety in numbers for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    and started to light the gorse then drove on a bit. They turned and came back by us trying to run over a few sheep which were on the side of the road, 2 got out again to try and catch the sheep.

what lovely guys -

great night burning the countryside and intimadating defenceless sheep , then again sounds like the sheep had more inteligence and humanity than these gob****es

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I don't feel threatened going around Dublin with my camera nor do i have any horror stories to report.

Carry on. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I've only started to go out around Dublin city with my camera. I try to wrap the strap around my hand without it getting in the way of getting a shot. I want to drive up to the mountains but would be afraid to on my own. I've been wanting to go up to the Hell Fire Club for months but because of it's remoteness I'm reluctant on my own. I'll try rope one of my mates to go with me, he's getting into photography so it'll be a good excuse for him to practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Sheesh. Ireland's a rougher place than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

never had a problem myself and having been in a few dodgy areas at bad times.

Perhaps its because I cary my tripod acount like its some kinda weapon as resulted in no trouble for me.........

a friend of mine used to make a living entirely from travel photography; he's had a fair few scrapes, at one point having 16k worth of gear taken from him, being mugged, and threatened with being shot. none of it in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but that comparison isn't anywhere even nearly similar.

Name me a professional photographer that primarily uses an €80 point and shoot... :rolleyes:

Terry richardson.

ok...maybe it was about $90-$100 for his camera. Playboy, Barack Obama & Leo Dicaprio didn't really mind though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If it ever came to the situation and someone threatened me, I'm pretty sure I'd have a go at hitting them across the head with the camera first, The 1D MKII is pretty damn tough!

Saying that, The small amount of photography I've done in Dublin has been in good areas, and I've had no trouble what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think if you dont know an area you should not go alone as pixbyjohn says safety in numbers.

I have not had any problems in Dublin shooting but I usually am with people from the Camera Group with me. I would also always have the camera strap looped around my wrist.

I have seen people been very careless. In Trinity a lad leaving his camera on a tripod and he went to move litter. As the press release says
    Keep your gear close by, dont leave it in full view while you run in for a paper or packet of fags. The other thing I do if I am in the city is before I park my car say in a carpark or on the street I will put my bag in the boot and then procede and park my car. I see signs up in some parks and at beachs, Baltray, Ardgillen, Newbridge, Malahide not to leave valuables in your car or at least not in view but dont wait until your parked to pack your gear away while you could have some scumbag sitting watching you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

At the moment I do most of my photography at night as i'm into shooting time lapses so I get a lot of drunks coming up to me and asking what i'm doing (taking pictures of traffic at night is kind of odd i suppose). while most of them are harmless i do get the impression that a few would be a bit more malevolent under the right/wrong circumstances, and occasionally you get cars full of guys shouting abuse at you, but it's kind of made up in some way by the times you meet other photographers on their night out. i try to give off an air of confidence and be as friendly as i can when people ask questions whilst also not taking any crap and avoid areas which are too isolated. but if all else fails there is always this approach:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think that if you are out with a load of gear that looks like it might be expensive a certain amount of paranoia. If you are small or a woman it probably best to have someone with you and watch each others backs.

I'm not tall but I am fat and bitter looking most people avoid me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I know a guy who dresses like a tourist yet is Irish, anyways he moved down to limerick a few years ago for college and the day he got there he was sitting on a bench talking to a girl when some guy flew by on a bike and in one swoop took the sun glasses off his head and was away with them.

That was kind of funny when he told me about it but then about 2 weeks later he was walking home and someone threw a glass bottle into his face and cut him up real bad. There were a few mode incident too like his garden being set on fire and the like but he just had that look, you know? like he was a tourist and a very easy target.

Another one of my friends was jumped and mugged by a gang of little scumbags not too long ago too, they got 50 euros off him but missed his iphone and ipod. The usual bruises and cuts but he was lucky in a way because there was a big gang of them and they didn't get anything else off of him. With him it was a wrong place at the wrong time, he was walking somewhere and took a shortcut through a dodgy area. Anyone with a good head on their shoulders and an eye for trouble before it happens are usually okay, just don't make it easy for someone to target you.

You have the most unfortunate friends, Car jackings, Tiger Kidnappings a guy who had his gardens set fire to and his face carved up because he looked like a tourist, and my heart bleeds for the guys who left the supercars in town in case they were followed home......

And this one time at band camp.....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

I got trampled on by a herd of Elephants in South Africa while on Safari with my D3100. Never again!

Advertisement