Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How 'food safe' are YOU?

• 23-07-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just thought of this thread after taking out my Tesco finest lasagne that I bought yesterday in the reduced section in Tesco. Noticed that there was a small amount of green mould on the cheese that was sprinkled on it, so like any great student, scraped it off and it is now in the oven :D My thinking is the oven will surely sterilise it :p

So how safe with food are you? Do you care about best before dates? Ever poisoned from your lax attitude or do you respect all dates you see :p?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

I don't even obey the five second rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Depends what it is.

Milk past use by = chuck it.
    Meat past use by - smell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Best before dates don't bother me, I would still eat it if it wasn't too far gone.

I wouldn't touch anything that has gone past the 'use by' date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AnnieUncanny

Not as safe as I should, I try not to look at the date as much as the look of the food.

But with dairies when the become to lump that's just a no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Generally I'm flexible on sell by and best before but use by or anything that smells or looks bad then it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

' Best before' dates are nonsense

'Use by dates' are the important ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I used to be much stricter with best before dates on all foodstuffs, now I'm more flexible. If it seems edible and tastes okay I'll go for it.

Not with meat / chicken though.
    Would cut the 6 sides off a lump of cheese if it had mould on it.
    Previously if a packet of crisps wasn't sealed I'd chuck them, would eat them now though if they don't taske stale.

Plus I'm more likely to contact the manufacturer if something still in date has mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

If it looks OK and smells OK then its good enough to eat, sell by dates in most cases give you quite leeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Meh, this lasagne is 'Use By' yesterday but I dont see it as raw meant and the 190C for 40 mins should kill anything :o

Meh, this lasagne is 'Use By' yesterday but I dont see it as raw meant and the 190C for 40 mins should kill anything :o

You'll be grand - you're right the temp/time in the oven will kill all

Get it in to ya!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Lettuce usually goes rank before its best before and I wouldn't dream of eating meat that's one day past its date. Usually producers/sellers are a little abmitious when it comes to dates.

Remember kids, there are: Best Before, Use By and Display Until.
    They are all meant for different intentions, doesn't take Einstein to figure them out.

One thing I do not under any circumstances trust though is Tesco's meat. Any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I always rubber up before fucking a pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

mikom wrote: »
    I always rubber up before fucking a pie.

Proud of you. It's a step up from necrophilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Under normal circumstances my immune system can handle a small amount of nasties in food, so I dont worry too much about it. Any time Ive ever been assaulted by serious food poisoning/gastroenteritis there was no obvious cause anyway!

Generally I trust my sense of smell, although the day my husband called out to me in the kitchen from the bedroom to say that the rashers I was cooking smelled like feet I may have had a cold or something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Op I vomited a little in my mouth after reading your post.

There isn't a hope I would even consider buying food from the reduced price shelf. I can honestly say I wouldn't give it to the dog.
    I try to buy meat, fish, veg & fruit as fresh as I can get it. I wouldn't be able to eat something even a day away from its use by/best before date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

csi vegas wrote: »
    Lettuce usually goes rank before its best before and I wouldn't dream of eating meat that's one day past its date. Usually producers/sellers are a little abmitious when it comes to dates.

Not eating meat that's one day past its date is pretty silly in my opinion. I also disagree that producers are generally ambitious when it comes to dates, I think it's the exact opposite. For the vast majority of things I really just decide whether I want to eat it or not. I have no wish to eat rotten meat, but I don't care what date has been slapped on it.

There isn't a hope I would even consider buying food from the reduced price shelf. I can honestly say I wouldn't give it to the dog.
    I try to buy meat, fish, veg & fruit as fresh as I can get it. I wouldn't be able to eat something even a day away from its use by/best before date.

Eating said lasagne now. It really is nommy, has a certain 'something'! Perhaps its the bacteria from the mould improving the taste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

I hope the people who "scrape of the mold" realise that it's not only that area affected, but the whole piece and the mold is just a way of showing the whole piece is affected.
    So if your food has a bit of mold on it, there's not a single reason to scrape it off if you're gonna eat it afterwards. Except aesthetics maybe.

Rhand wrote: »
    I hope the people who "scrape of the mold" realise that it's not only that area affected, but the whole piece and the mold is just a way of showing the whole piece is affected.
    So if your food has a bit of mold on it, there's not a single reason to scrape it off if you're gonna eat it afterwards. Except aesthetics maybe.

Piece of mind :P I will post again in a few hours if I feel sick :rolleyes:

I trust my senses to tell if something's off or not.

I've no problem eating stuff that's off but still edible, like stale biscuits, for example. If something seems fine I'll eat it after the use by, excluding:
    -seafood
    -dairy (I let cheese go a bit further though, and I've been known to cut off cheese mould)

As for best befores, I'd totally ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Piece of mind :P I will post again in a few hours if I feel sick :rolleyes:

I'm not saying you'll get sick, I'm just saying there's no real point in scraping of the mold because if there's mold on it, it means the whole piece has been affected anyway.

I don't believe eating an affected piece will make you instantly sick, if you have a bit of an immune system. You'll be fine, I have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm very particular with my food. If it's gone off or past is expiration date, then I throw it away. But i'm really safe with food nonetheless. Although last week a tissue fell onto my pizza, that was pretty damp and I still ate the pizza even though there could have been anything in the tissue like snot or something. But yeah i'm pretty safe I am nonetheless.

First world problems :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Got really bad food poisoning when I was a kid had a cheese and onion crisp sandwich and then an under cooked burger.

Puked pure green for 8 seconds straight, ****ing exorcist **** going on.

Took a decade and a half but I can finally eat cheese and onion crips again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I find it funny people saying they only eat fresh meat, or that they would never eat meat after best before.
    Meat doesn't come straight from the slaughter house, in fact the best beef for example can be hung for up to a month or more
    Dates on food are protection against a litigious society, trust your own good sense

Eating said lasagne now. It really is nommy, has a certain 'something'! Perhaps its the bacteria from the mould improving the taste :D
    Reading this thread is putting me off eating my dinner. That's how weird I am about food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Got really bad food poisoning when I was a kid had a cheese and onion crisp sandwich and then an under cooked burger.

Puked pure green for 8 seconds straight, ****ing exorcist **** going on.

Took a decade and a half but I can finally eat cheese and onion crips again. :D
    I hope it didn't put you off under cooked burgers, just the crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

your a fool to think you wont get sick simply because you cooked it through!!!!!
    if bacteria has had a time to grow enough (past use by date as a general rule) they can produce heat resistant spores that can survive trough the cooking process. Now when they enter your body in sufficient quantities (more of them the older the meat) they have the perfect temperature to proliferate and make you extremely sick. Always a slight chance you can get food poisoning and you increase it greatly by eating older meat! Enjoy your lasagne!

adamski8 wrote: »
    your a fool to think you wont get sick simply because you cooked it through!!!!!
    if bacteria has had a time to grow enough (past use by date as a general rule) they can produce heat resistant spores that can survive trough the cooking process. Now when they enter your body in sufficient quantities (more of them the older the meat) they have the perfect temperature to proliferate and make you extremely sick. Always a slight chance you can get food poisoning and you increase it greatly by eating older meat! Enjoy your lasagne!

I always say: If it manages to kill me after everything I've put it through, it's deserves to get what it wants!

adamski8 wrote: »

Heat resistant spores only get time to multiply if the food is held hot for an extensive period of time. If the food is cooked properly and eaten straight from the oven, they will not have sufficient time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

My auld fellla is like some kind of human dustbin. Use by and best before dates mean absolutely nothing to him as long as food smells ok he'll eat it.

There about a month ago in the drinks cabinet he found four long forgotten about cans of Guinness that were over two years past their use by/best before date. Anyway he drank them, didn't do him a bit of harm, and he's still rattling around the house talk shite doing my head in as per usual.

And no he isn't a desperate alco who'd drink anything he'd get is hands on for a buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Best before - but good after

:D

My auld fellla is like some kind of human dustbin. Use by and best before dates mean absolutely nothing to him as long as food smells ok he'll eat it.

There about a month ago in the drinks cabinet he found four long forgotten about cans of Guinness that were over two years past their use by/best before date. Anyway he drank them, didn't do him a bit of harm, and he's still rattling around the house talk shite doing my head in as per usual.

And no he isn't a desperate alco who'd drink anything he'd get is hands on for a buzz.

After a few pints of Guinness recently I treated myself to a 4 year old pickled egg, loverly and black it was much the same colour as the Guinness. No ill effects at all but a similar egg from the same jar had some dreadful repercussions when a mate ate one a few weeks earlier - I seem to remember I was checking they were still OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Rhand wrote: »
    Would the rest of it not be ok due to the fact that it has not been exposed to air. A bit like a biscuit would go off quicker outside its packaging then inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I will only eat ham that has been sterilised under my red lightbulb.

I'll never risk chicken or eggs after a couple of bad experiences.

• Advertisement

Which one did you have a bad experience with first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm cooking Lidl chicken fillets now that smelled a bit funny :(

I've thrown meat out before because it smelled funny only to be told later that that's just the way it smells so now if the used by date isn't ridiculously far gone I'll just give it a little longer.

Edit: Also, noting that they were from Monaghan did nothing to instil confidence. I'd have felt better if it said Puerto Rico.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

People have become wayyyy too fussy in recent times..sure wasn't curry invented to disguise the taste/smell of gone-off meat! Use your own judgement - stick to the golden rule of cook it once, freeze it once and reheat it once and you should be fine. Use-by dates are bull**** and a ruse to get you to buy more stuff. Who in god's name can open a massive jar of olives and consume within 3 days of opening...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I hate when you toast bread and then, after the second or third bite you realise it's moldy. That can ruin a breakfast right there.

Zab wrote: »
    Not eating meat that's one day past its date is pretty silly in my opinion. I also disagree that producers are generally ambitious when it comes to dates, I think it's the exact opposite. For the vast majority of things I really just decide whether I want to eat it or not. I have no wish to eat rotten meat, but I don't care what date has been slapped on it.

I've noticed lately that the dates seem to be massively hit and miss. I've seen unopened chops and steaks look rank days before the BB date and others be fine a few days after it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It depends on the food.

Milk just tastes manky once it's been opened around 48 hours. So I'd throw it out then, even if it was well within the best before date.

Fruit/veg - I don't even look at dates, you'll know by looking/feeling if it's OK.

Meat (or anything with meat in it) - I wouldn't take chances with ... I don't cook it all that much so I wouldn't be confident enough that I'd know if it looked/smelled OK.

Eggs - I've often used them up to maybe a week after the BB date, and they're fine.

Anything that has mould on it is going straight into the bin, I wouldn't go cutting the mould off ... yuck!

HazDanz wrote: »
    I hate when you toast bread and then, after the second or third bite you realise it's moldy. That can ruin a breakfast right there.

But it didn't kill you. I ate a few slices that tasted a bit funny and noticed only after that there was a good crop of mould on the last slice left in the bag, but the only problem was it didn't taste great. Not that I'd make a habit of eating mouldy bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I took a lesson from my old dog - smell it - your nose will tell you.

Then, if you decide to eat it, be sure to wash your hands beforehand. So many people are so fussy about best before dates and food quality yet they'll come straight from the jacks without washing their hands and pick up their food and munch away. The dose of the shíts that follows will most certainly be blamed on the food - never the personal hygiene.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Do you not check the bread first?
    And bread lasts a maximum of two days in my house before it gets the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

The only thing I do with food is f*ck it out if its past its sell by date. I freeze things multiple times, reheat things multiple times......dont ever eat in my house i guess!!
    Im never sick, stomach of steel :D

eirator wrote: »
    Which one did you have a bad experience with first?

That was pretty good :pac:

Not very safe.. A super cheap place I eat at sometimes washes the veg right on the ground outside with a hose. As in where people walk. Cats, dogs and chickens everywhere aswell and their "kitchen" is disgusting.

But they do excellent coffee and a delicious beef & veg stir fry so I don't care. It's good for the immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Give it a couple of days past the BB date, I mean they are gonna err on the side of caution so you'd get a day or two extra. Milk is the only thing I won't use after it's BB date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Boombastic wrote: »
    Heat resistant spores only get time to multiply if the food is held hot for an extensive period of time. If the food is cooked properly and eaten straight from the oven, they will not have sufficient time

It's lasanga, so it's probably minced meat which is the worst thing you could eat past the use by date.

OP I really hope that is a vegetarian lasanga.. :(

Boards needs a sick face emoticon thing.

kfallon wrote: »
    Give it a couple of days past the BB date, I mean they are gonna err on the side of caution so you'd get a day or two extra. Milk is the only thing I won't use after it's BB date

BB dates are meaningless

• Advertisement
Advertisement