Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENGINE PROBLEM MERCRUSER

• 23-07-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

I have a 4.3litre V6 Mercury Mercruiser Thunderbolt V Ignition Engine with and an alpha one leg that has gone to heaven :) . Im loooking to replace with a 3.0 mercruiser alpha 1 inboard that came off a bayliner ..

Anyone know if they match up

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Are you looking to change the engines as well as the outdrive or just the outdrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

The gearing on the outdrives will be different so you will have to replace both engine and drive, however if the original drive is OK there would be a market for it.
    Engine mounts will also have to be moved. Also I think the rev counter will read wrong although some units can be reset to suit different cylinder configurations. V8, V6, I4 etc.
    What happened the original engine, frost damage?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Also I think the alpha 1 ran from 1984-1990 on the 3 lt with a 1.98 gear ratio and the 4.3 lt came in 1991 with a alpha 1 generation 2 with a 1.81 gear ratio.

The alpha 1 gear case looks like this.

BM-Alpha-One-1984-thru-1992-upper-gear-case-drive.jpg

And the Gen 2 looks like this "they are not interchangeable for one the gear shift is different"

BM-Alpha-one-generation-2-upper-gearcase.jpg

A1G2 gen2shift.jpg A1 gen1shift.jpg

Here is a alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive for sale if you need one:D http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boatextras/3279557

Advertisement