Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner bike

• 23-07-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi lads
    Im sitting my theory test in two weeks and Im hoping to pick up a bike for learning on.
    My budget is max 1000 but would prefer 7-800.
    I dont mind if the bike is rough as it will probably get a few scratches as its my first bike.
    What would be the best place to look for one Donedeal?
    Am I being un realistic with the budget.
    Its my intention to upgrade the bike when I get competent at riding.
    Dont know what to get really suggestions welcome. ATB john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well a bit more info would be nice mate. How tall are you & what weight? Are you a big chap that would handle a bigger bike. Have you had a bike before when you were a whippersnapper or is this the 1st bike you ever had.

Also it does not matter what bikes we suggest, you will have to sit on them and take them for a short spin so you feel good on the bike. A bike I like you might hate.

IMHO One of the best bike you can get starting off is a lovely CB500F it really is a good all rounder. And they are plenty of them about......if you a bit bigger get a honda Hornet or even a Bros400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

There are lots of "starter" bikes to choose from. Like Wonda said, the Hornet is a great bike as is the Bandit. Both 600's so will need to be restricted. The Honda Bros (400) is another great learner bike as is the CB400 Super Four. They would be classed as "commuter" bikes I suppose but if you're looking for a cruiser, you could go after a Virago or Dragstar....something like that. But we need more info about ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think your budget is a bit optimistic. If you had €1500, say, you'd definitely get a good bike. You rarely get good bikes for under a grand IME. The other thing I'd say to you is to no focus on getting a 'starter' bike. In six months, you'll only want to upgrage. My first bike was a bandit 600 and I upgraded it after 6 months. If you get a 250, you'll be bored of it in weeks. Don't fall into the trap of getting a learner bike unless you're 18/ 19 and you have to consider insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Have you allowed the price of your gear aswell mate???

This can be very pricey and personally myself its something i wouldnt skimp on ;)

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think your budget is a bit optimistic. If you had €1500, say, you'd definitely get a good bike. You rarely get good bikes for under a grand IME. The other thing I'd say to you is to no focus on getting a 'starter' bike. In six months, you'll only want to upgrage. My first bike was a bandit 600 and I upgraded it after 6 months. If you get a 250, you'll be bored of it in weeks. Don't fall into the trap of getting a learner bike unless you're 18/ 19 and you have to consider insurance costs.
    nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Have you allowed the price of your gear aswell mate???

This can be very pricey and personally myself its something i wouldnt skimp on ;)

Yeah - what they said!

• Advertisement

What about the €400 odd yoyo's for Intial BOLLOCKS Training.....:( or IBT

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Im only on the road a little over a month and between my gear, the ibt, the theory test and insurance it stands me €1600 thats before i paid a penny for my bike :eek:

Its dear enought to start off but hopefully il get a few years out of my gear an that

OP,

You will/should if you look after it.....hope you gaining more and more confidence with every ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Really appreciate you guys taking the time for me to apply.
    Im 6ft 2" 12 1/2st
    I have had numerous quads in the past started on a honda 90.
    I have drove mini moto's but have little experience on motorbikes.
    I will keep the IBT, safety clothing seperate from bike budget.
    My reasoning for now spending more that 1k on the bike was that I was afraid I would damage a nice bike.
    Im open to change on this if you think I would be better off spending 1500.
    What are good places to look for the bike, donedeal? any good shops up north.
    I would like something in the region of 600cc and must be reliable?
    Thanks john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I hope its ok if I post here instead of opening a new tread.I looking to get my first bike also.Im 6"4 and 14st.Id prefer a commuter like ye have already mentioned.

What Id like to know would €3000 cover everything ? Gear ,permits and bike , restricter kit ?

• Advertisement

johnfaul wrote: »
    Really appreciate you guys taking the time for me to apply.
    Im 6ft 2" 12 1/2st
    I have had numerous quads in the past started on a honda 90.
    I have drove mini moto's but have little experience on motorbikes.
    I will keep the IBT, safety clothing seperate from bike budget.
    My reasoning for now spending more that 1k on the bike was that I was afraid I would damage a nice bike.
    Im open to change on this if you think I would be better off spending 1500.
    What are good places to look for the bike, donedeal? any good shops up north.
    I would like something in the region of 600cc and must be reliable?
    Thanks john

At 6'2 you pretty much have you pick of bikes but dont get one too small or cramped. Are you into the super sports (really leaned over) or would you prefer more upright and comfortable sports tourer or even a cruiser.

Suzuki Bandit 600 would suit you as would the Honda Hornet 600 and plenty about and bullet proof with loads of parts. Another good bike would be the Yamaha FZ6 or older "FOXEYE" model.

Bookmark this page and put in the details and see how it looks.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

damagegt wrote: »
    I hope its ok if I post here instead of opening a new tread.I looking to get my first bike also.Im 6"4 and 14st.Id prefer a commuter like ye have already mentioned.

What Id like to know would €3000 cover everything ? Gear ,permits and bike , restricter kit ?

If you shop clever and take your time to find the right bike sure that would be plenty. I bought my gear 1st as it was important for me to have the safest stuff I could buy as I started out. Then I got the bike, most people spent most of the money on the bike and skimp on the gear.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you shop clever and take your time to find the right bike sure that would be plenty. I bought my gear 1st as it was important for me to have the safest stuff I could buy as I started out. Then I got the bike, most people spent most of the money on the bike and skimp on the gear.
    Thanks.What would I need in the way of gear and what would be the better manufactures the buy from ?

That really depends on your budget....Helmets there are 3-4 top brands you will pay for like Arai, Shoei, Shark etc there are dear but you get what you pay for. A good starting point would be a nice shark lid they have some crackers (Vison R my Favorite) then again I have seen lids like Nitro/Caberg going for €80 upwards....how much do you value your head?

For textiles I like RST stuff (except boots), very good value for money and does exactly what it says on the tin. Has kept me dry and safe in all weathers and never leaked once....

Ideally you should get 2 pairs of gloves, winter and summer. But a good all rounder will prolly be your best bet, again you will need to try them on.

Not saying buy my stuff but this is what I have:

Arai Quantum Helmet - Love it.
    Alpinstars 365 gloves - Absolute cracking glove.
    RST Paragon II Jacket and Trousers - Very good for the money.
    Dainese ST TRQ Goretex - Best boot I have owned.
    Back and chest protector - OPTIONAL

IF you on a strict budget go to cotters (Dublin) sure they have a similiar store in cork, and get what you can if not then take your time and get stuff that fits and is comfortable. Nothing worse being on a bike and something niggling at you.

Well Ill have a budget of €3000-€3500.So I was thinking €1500-€2000 on the bike,€500 on documents and ear on a €1000 on gear .What that be over kill on the gear budget ?

That really depends on your budget....Helmets there are 3-4 top brands you will pay for like Arai, Shoei, Shark etc there are dear but you get what you pay for. A good starting point would be a nice shark lid they have some crackers (Vison R my Favorite) then again I have seen lids like Nitro/Caberg going for €80 upwards....how much do you value your head?

For textiles I like RST stuff (except boots), very good value for money and does exactly what it says on the tin. Has kept me dry and safe in all weathers and never leaked once....

Ideally you should get 2 pairs of gloves, winter and summer. But a good all rounder will prolly be your best bet, again you will need to try them on.

Not saying buy my stuff but this is what I have:

Arai Quantum Helmet - Love it.
    Alpinstars 365 gloves - Absolute cracking glove.
    RST Paragon II Jacket and Trousers - Very good for the money.
    Dainese ST TRQ Goretex - Best boot I have owned.
    Back and chest protector - OPTIONAL

IF you on a strict budget go to cotters (Dublin) sure they have a similiar store in cork, and get what you can if not then take your time and get stuff that fits and is comfortable. Nothing worse being on a bike and something niggling at you.

That kinda covers it all! Similarly, I have the RST Paragon stuff and it's not bad at all. If you have plenty of money, buying gear like Alpinestars, Dainese, Rukka etc. will keep you warm and dry but will empty your bank account quickly!. Entry level stuff tends to be Swift, Akito, Duchinni etc. and while they don't cost a lot, they tend to leak like a teabag after persistant use. Middle of the road gear (like outlined above) will do you just fine. You will find you can build up your gear over time. My list is also similar to Wonda's in that I have...

Helmet: Shark RSR, HJC RPHA-10, HJC IS-16, KBC Speed Demon, Shark S-500

Textiles: RST Paragon jacket, Swift Jacket, RST pants

Gloves: Alpinestars Jet Road and Dainese D-Dry (for winter/wet use) Velo, Spada Predator and Alpinestars SP1 for summer/warm use.

Boots: TCX Competizione (waterproof and warm!) amazing boots and I have a pair of Forma F1 for summer wear. As I'm down to just 2 pairs of boots, methinks a trip to Hein Gericke or Crossans is in order! LOL

Leathers: I have a 2-piece that I got from louis.de

Your budget won't last long if you go for all branded gear, but similarly, don't buy crap either as you'll only end up spending the money on getting more gear anyway.
    damagegt wrote: »
    Well Ill have a budget of €3000-€3500.So I was thinking €1500-€2000 on the bike,€500 on documents and ear on a €1000 on gear .What that be over kill on the gear budget ?

€1000 on gear seems decent enough. If you shop smart, you'll be well covered. Don't forget the little things like neck tubes, ear plugs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If you could push your budget to €1,200 or thereabouts you should be able to buy the best mid-level gear.

My helmet, Arai Chaser - €650
    RST Paragon III jacket and trousers - €400
    TCX X-cube boots (waterproof, warm and very comfortable to walk around in) - €110
    Any decent weatherproof gloves - €70 - €90

That's my Winter gear. I also have a set of leathers and Summer gloves, as well as another helmet.

As a woman, imo Alpinestars, Dainese etc. etc. do not provide as good protection for the price as lower end brands. I have looked at men's gear and there is a big difference in the level of protection for the price. I bought a Richa leather jacket that includes a basic CE back protector and full armour in arms and shoulders, a similar looking Alpinestars jacket at the time for the same price did not include any back protector and the armour stopped at elbow pads. It's sad because most of their men's gear is great but for some reason they just don't provide the same level of protection in their ladies gear.

At 6'2 you pretty much have you pick of bikes but dont get one too small or cramped. Are you into the super sports (really leaned over) or would you prefer more upright and comfortable sports tourer or even a cruiser.

Suzuki Bandit 600 would suit you as would the Honda Hornet 600 and plenty about and bullet proof with loads of parts. Another good bike would be the Yamaha FZ6 or older "FOXEYE" model.

Bookmark this page and put in the details and see how it looks.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Thanks I like the look of the super sport bikes not really into the cruiser type.
    For someone who wouldnt know a lot about them would it be best to buy from a dealer?

If you know absolutely no one who knows about bikes that cant go with you then you may have to. But it will be alot dearer, there are some super bargains on bikes out there at the moment. Then again you get up to 12mths warranty from a dealer (usually 6 mths I got 12mths) and you have that piece of mind.

If you know absolutely no one who knows about bikes that cant go with you then you may have to. But it will be alot dearer, there are some super bargains on bikes out there at the moment. Then again you get up to 12mths warranty from a dealer (usually 6 mths I got 12mths) and you have that piece of mind.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3671199
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3664847
    whats the opinions on these any other suggestions thanks

• Advertisement

Really would not be in a position to comment on the bikes m8, dont know enough about them (in general) they do look very clean especially the silver bandit. Mileage seems a tad low for the year of the bike. Someone else will prolly be able to help you out with a guide on them. Only thing I will say is that I would not wear a 2nd hand helmet...

Best of luck with the bike search...wont go far wrong with a bandit.;)

johnfaul wrote: »
    Thanks I like the look of the super sport bikes not really into the cruiser type.
    For someone who wouldnt know a lot about them would it be best to buy from a dealer?

Surely you know someone around who can have an "EYEBALL" at one of the bikes you are interested in?

Advertisement