Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some input into a big decision!

Options
  • 23-07-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Basically im in the process of organising a 1 year working visa to the states when I finish my masters next month. I have narrowed down where id like to move however im torn between two destinations...one is Heuston, Texas and the other is Atlanta, Georgia. Have any of you people lived in either of these cities or maybe provide useful insights into either place to help influence my decision? Sound :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Have a look here, and here.

Search for my name for more info about Atlanta and the Southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Have a look here, and here.

Search for my name for more info about Atlanta and the Southeast.

Good man Dave Thanks - Just sent a follow up PM there

cheerz dave very useful info there smile.gif

In one of the threads of the two links you attached...you mention there would only be one or two other places youd consider living...what places would they be and why? Is Atlanta in a recession at the moment and how receptive are they to the Irish in general? Do you know anything about Heuston?

sound

The_Poznan wrote: »
    cheerz dave very useful info there smile.gif

In one of the threads of the two links you attached...you mention there would only be one or two other places youd consider living...what places would they be and why? Is Atlanta in a recession at the moment and how receptive are they to the Irish in general? Do you know anything about Heuston?

sound

Poznan,

I really liked San Fran. Thing is though, in my line of work, SF does not have much to offer. The metro area, yes - but I'd want to live IN the city. I liked the people there. Loved the area's geography (but not the geology!). In retrospect, there would be a lot of reasons not to live there; CA is economically challenged atmo. Even higher taxes will be needed to dig out. Yet in SF, the housing and general cost of living is still astronomical.

I have not been to Houston. I have been to TX. I have a couple of friends who moved Atlanta -Houston. Feedback I hear is endless suburbs and a city lacking in vibrant neighborhoods. Second hand info though.

Atlanta is in a recession like everywhere over here (except places where there's shale oil!). Unemployment rate is still stagnant in the city. Real estate and banking took a huge hit in ATL. Lots of evidence that RE is on rebounding now. Pre-recession, the city had undergone a renaissance in the last 15yrs. It has a youthful, optimistic population. It will come back strong, while other cities will not. Particularly Northern, rust-belt cities.

I've not been to anywhere in the US that has not been receptive to Irish people. I have met Irish people here that have not been receptive to the US!

Some other places I have liked in the US and would consider living there: Asheville NC, Boston, Brooklyn. Places I have not been, but I think I'd like: Seattle, Portland.

How about you tell why you chose those 2 cities?

Might be good to get an insight into what you are looking for.

Have you been to the US before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

OP - It all depends on what your looking for. Atlanta and Houston probably wouldn't be in the top 10 for Irish moving to the states. I've always found Houston, actually Texas in general to have fantastic people any time I've been over there.

I'm in New Jersey myself. Working in NYC. So NJ was the perfect balance for commute time / general livability.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    How about you tell why you chose those 2 cities?

Might be good to get an insight into what you are looking for.

Have you been to the US before?

Im looking to get a job in the area of procurement/sourcing...im just finishing a masters in supply chain mgt in UCD. Im 30 now so looking for a new life and career in States. Ideally like to live in a progressive city with opportunites in my area of expertise although Im a country/outdoorsey type at heart.

Suppose I chose Heuston or Texas because had family living in San Antonio and by all accounts its warm climate, v.friendly people with positive attitudes and cheaper lifestyle. I also like the look of Atlanta for the reasons you mention above plus it has a good range of industry, vibrant nightlife and Gaa team! Like Texas cost of living be cheaper as opposed to NY Boston and west coast. On top of this Atlanta has a big airport with lots of destinations to exciting places...if I get bored some wknd :P

Ya I spend 4months in Boston on a J1 back in 2004 and absolutely loved it. I know it will be completely diff this time round with serious job/committments..as opposed to drinking every 2nd nite and living hand to mouth! But the "can do attitude" and lifestyle is the big pull factor to locate in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Raaad

If Texas is on your list seriously consider Austin! It is like no other city in America and has a culture all it's own, it's slogan is Keep Austin Weird.

Advertisement