Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

тяжелая атлетик&

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Today:

Snatch:

60 1x2
    65 1x2
    70 2 x 2
    72 1x2

Clean:

pull+clean

80 2x1+1
    85 2x1+1
    90 1x1+1

Power Jerks:

70 5x2

Accidentally split jerked one of them :confused:

Squat:

130x2
    145x2
    152x1
    158x2
    165x1 PB +2kg

Happy with that. bw was about 82.5 this morning. It was much easier than the 163 I did a couple of weeks ago.

Chins Ups:

1,2,3,4,5 for three waves. Got this from reading the greyskull book. I needed to change things up a bit with the chins so I'm giving this a try.

Sit Ups:

4x15

Today:

Snatch:

Off block ATK

60 2x2
    60 1x2 missed 2nd rep
    65 2x2 missed 2nd rep on both

Bar was flying up but kept leaving it out in front.

Clean and Jerk:

80 1x2
    85 1x2
    90 1x2 missed 2nd jerk
    80 2x2

Everything was sloppy as fúck.

Squat:

140 3x5

Chin ups:

Lots of sets. Total reps was 46.

Sit Ups:

3x15

Absolutely miserable session, nothing was happening today. I think I'll take a light week next week.

Today:

Snatch:

65 2x1
    70 2x1
    72 2x1

60 2x3
    65 1x3

Used a different start position for the triple and they felt much better.

Clean:

3 positions

70 x 3 sets
    75 x 2 sets

working on keeping the bar close on the way under.

Power Jerk:

60 5x3

Front squat:

100 x 3
    107 x 3
    115 x 3

Knee raises:

3x15

Raises:

All the directions, all the reps, all the swole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

Excellent log man, some really good lifts there.

Was just wondering, is it only oly lifts and assistance work you do, or do you do any isolated pressing/pulling as well?

• Advertisement

b_mac wrote: »
    Excellent log man, some really good lifts there.

Was just wondering, is it only oly lifts and assistance work you do, or do you do any isolated pressing/pulling as well?

Thanks!

Pretty much. I don't do many pressing movements mainly because anytime I do them for an extended period of time and with any sort of intensity my right shoulder acts up. So it's not really worth it for me personally. That's my excuse anyway. I'm also not very good at pressing but I prefer to use the first excuse :pac:

I've deadlifted in the past but haven't been doing lately as I'm focusing on getting my squat as strong as possible and doing deadlifts would hamper progress on that front. I was doing snatch grip RDL's a couple of weeks ago which I must start doing again.

Hope this answers your question. If there's anything else I can help with just shout.

I could copy and paste your post for my reasons why I don't do any pressing.
    My shoulders are ruined from my bodybuilding days. Wish I started Oly lifts long ago.

Just wondering as well, do you find training on your own hard sometimes?

Yes it can definitely be a struggle some days. The days when you're fatigued and lacking that little bit of motivation aren't all that fun. Usually if I'm feeling a bit demotivated to train I'll watch a couple of lifting videos on youtube and that usually snaps me out of it. I think training alone probably isn't for most people but I don't find it that bad. I try to be consistent about the time I train and that seems to help. If it's part of a daily routine it's not as bad. If I lived closer to the places where people train I'd almost definitely train in those places but as it is I'm over an hour away so for now I'll be training in my shed.

The lack of having someone watch your lifting is also a bit of downside. That's why I video a lot of my lifts, so I can watch them back and see what's going on.

One thing I like about training alone is that it's just you and the bar. You're not relying an any outside factors like beating somebody or impressing someone. You have to rely on nothing but yourself to make the lift.

Yeah I'm really glad I didn't go ahead with buying a cage for my house, I can't even get the motivation to do push-ups in my own house, let alone squats. Fair play for sticking at it like that!

How many times a week would you squat?
    Sorry last Q:o

b_mac wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really glad I didn't go ahead with buying a cage for my house, I can't even get the motivation to do push-ups in my own house, let alone squats. Fair play for sticking at it like that!

Haha, that can be a problem sometimes. Sometimes the fact that having somewhere to train so close by makes the procrastination even worse :D
    How many times a week would you squat?
    Sorry last Q:o

Ask away, ask away. At the minute I'm doing the Texas Method program which has squats three days a week. Back squat Mon and Fri. Front squat on a Wed. Enjoying it so far, well I'm sure "enjoy" is the right word, but it seems to be working anyway.

• Advertisement

You ever have to make any dangerously close bails? My brain wouldn't let me get in the hole with a PB weight on my back without knowing I have a spotter behind me haha.

Thanks. I'm starting back training after nearly a year out( I was very very ill) and I am thinking of trying to go for 3 times a week. The BB road was a nightmare IMO, too many injuries and I could never make good gains in proper functional strength. Whats your diet like?

One or two. Usually though if I miss a squat I can just dump it off my back thanks to the bumper plates but I try and stick to attempting weights I have a very good chance of making.

Sorry to hear about the illness. If you're starting olympic weightlifting then 3 days a week is a good place to start. There's also a few beginner programs floating around on the net that you can follow if you don't have access to a coach or club. The same goes if your just strength training there's lots of choice out there in regards to programs. Good luck with your training, I imagine the DOMS will be woeful for the first couple of weeks :D

Diet is ok I guess. Lots of meat, eggs, butter, olive oil, nut butters, oats, potatoes, greek yogurt, fruit and veg. I aim for high protein and fat and try to keep carbs to under 200g a day (120-150g on off days). Supplement wise I use fish oil, a multi vit, creatine and beta alanine.

What would you recommend to start back on after a long lay off?

It depends on what your goals are but if I was starting general strength training I'd do something like Starting Strength or Greyskull LP.

If you wanted to start olympic weightlifting then I'd look for a club or coach which would speed the learning process up considerably. If you don't have access to a coach then Glenn Pendlay's beginner program would be a good start.

http://www.pendlay.com/Pendlay-Beginner-Articles_ep_57-1.html

Today:

Snatch:

57kg 5x3

working on keeping the bar as close a possible from the hip to overhead.

Snatch Pull:

85kg 4x4

Paused Squat:

112 4x3

Chin Up:

+16kg 3x1

bw 8,6,4

Push Up:

Then I made a gobshíte of myself trying to rig up a box and band as a pseudo back extension bench/roman chair. Needless to say it didn't work and I went down like lead balloon while trying to untangle myself from the band.

Today:

Snatch:

Power Snatch + Snatch

52kg 2 x 1+1
    57kg 2 x 1+1
    60kg 2 x 1+1

Power Clean and Power Jerk:

75kg 5 x 1+1

Missed jerk on fourth set.

Row:

40kg 5 x 10

OH Tricep Extension:

10kg plate 5 x 10

Sit Ups:

5 x 10

Today:

Clean and Jerk:

75kg 5 x 3

Clean Pull:

107kg 4 x 4

Front Squat:

105kg 4 x 2

Lateral Raises:

2.5kg 4 x 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

FOUR? Who does FOUR?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Edwardius wrote: »
    FOUR? Who does FOUR?!

Heretic! Burn him at the stake.

Didn't you hear?! 4x4 is the new 5x5.

In all seriousness it's what is written in here:

http://www.allthingsgym.com/4-week-quick-classic-weightlifting-program-spreadsheet/

• Advertisement

Today:

Snatch:

hang above knee

60kg 5 x 2

Clean:

hang above knee

80kg 5 x 2

Snatch Balance:

50kg x 3
    55kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3

Chin Up:

(1,2,3,4,5) x 2

w/ green band:
    1 x 10
    1 x 8

Push Up:

3 x 10

Sit Ups:

3 x 20

Today:

Snatch:

70kg 3 x 1

Still banging the bar outwards.

Clean and Jerk:

92kg 3 x 1

Front Squat:

130kg 1 x 1
    120kg 1 x 2

Today:

Snatch:

60kg 5 x 2

Didn't think these were great but looking back on the videos they are starting to look like proper snatches, keeping the bar much closer on the way under.

Snatch Pull:

90kg 4 x 3

Pause Squat:

125kg 5 x 2

Doing these slightly different than how I've done them previously. Instead of going all the way down and sitting on my calves for the pause I am only going just past parallel and holding. Really have to focus on keeping tight and keeping the knees pushed out.

Chin Ups:

+5kg 5 x 3

Push Ups:

4 x 12

Sit Ups:

3 x 20

Today:

Snatch:

power+full

57kg 2 x 1+1
    60kg 2 x 1+1
    65kg 1 x 1+1

Power Clean and Power Jerk:

80kg 3 x 1+1
    85kg 2 x 1+1

Widened my stance a little and sat back a bit further in the start position. Hoping this will stop me getting pulled forward when the bar leaves the floor. Looks a whole lot prettier than my previous start position judging from the videos, back isn't over extended and shins are a bit more vertical.

Got this in the post this morning as well. Haven't dug in yet but it looks delightfully retro from the flick through.

299108.JPG

Today:

Clean and Jerk:

80kg 5 x 2

Cleans didn't feel great but looking at the videos they weren't that bad. Jerks were fine.

Clean Pull:

117kg 4 x 3

Heavy

Front Squat:

112kg 4 x 2

Back Extensions:

3 x 12

Lateral Raises:

5kg plates 3 x 12

Plank:

3 x 60sec

in push up position

Today:

Snatch:

From hang

60kg 3 x 2
    65kg 2 x 2

Getting better from the hang.

Clean:

hang+floor

80kg 3 x 1+1
    85kg 2 x 1+1

Chin Up:

(2,4,6) x 3

Push Up:

4 x 12

Band Pull Aparts:

4 x 12

Pretty good session, didn't bother with the snatch balances as I don't think it's worth risking my wrist over.

Today:

Snatch:

Up to 75kg x 1

Looking much better, bar nowhere near as loopy as it used to be.

Clean and Jerk:

95kg x 1
    100kg x 1

Front Squat:

140kg x 1
    125kg 1 x 2

RDL:

90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 5 w/ straps

• Advertisement