Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting factual read on photo copyright

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Just came across this blog in which the blogger was successfully sued by the owner of a photo she used on her blog. Have a read.......:eek:

http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7/20/bloggers-beware-you-can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html

Interesting.

Her do's rather than her don't(s) are probably better advice. Though its from state side.

Someone please sue someone else here in Ireland so we'll all know where we stand. The ones which have passed by these forums generally don't leave follow up - perhaps there's ongoing litigation or i've missed some... We should have a sticky perhaps :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Interesting indeed. I wonder did it go to court, or did she settle? Is there anything more to this story that she's not telling us? I guess we'll never know. Anyway, she should make good use of the image now that she's paid for it (within the terms of the license she bought, of course).

There are concerns (in the UK at least) that as Copyright law is currently written, merely visiting a webpage, or even providing a link to one, could technically be breaking the copyright regarding any content on that page - even if the page itself is licensed to use that content. Here's an article about it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/23/gov_should_act_on_web_browsing_copyright_issue/

It seems that the copyright laws need to be re-written to allow for distributed electronic publishing.

I posted in another thread today about how social media companies need a disclaimer in their T&Cs to allow them to use various technologies (caching, hosting, etc.) to enable them to provide content globally at the scales demanded of them. It seems this is accounted for in EU copyright law. From the article linked above:
    Under EU copyright laws, rights-holders are entitled to charge licence fees for temporary copies of copyrighted works. But the Copyright Directive also provides that rights-holders may not charge fees if those temporary copies are "an integral and essential part of a technological process whose sole purpose is to enable... a lawful use of a [copyright] work." This is the only exception to copyright law that is mandatory and must be implemented by every European Union member state.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

phutyle wrote: »
    Edit: Oh, and you "just came across" the blog of the Romance author of such titillating titles as "Melt Into You", "Crash Into You" and "Still into You"? Yeah right, we believe you ;)

Obviously I'm "Into her" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Thanks a million, Denis. Mr. T just came across a photo of mine on somebody's blog, so reading your post yesterday helped a lot! :)

Advertisement