Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Optimus update troubles

Options
  • 23-07-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

Some, I'm trying to get the beta 3.04 drivers to install on my GT650M equipped MSI GE70, but the installer refuses with an incompatible hardware error.

I think the nvidia installer might be barfing because of the HD4000 and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to install.

Even the manufacturer's reference driver fails to install, throwing the exact same incompatible hardware error. It's bloody annoying.

Okay. Maybe I did something stupid. I edited NVAM.inf so it'd think the HD4000 was a valid card..... and the installer started. Slight problem is that it isn't actually proceeding through the install anymore. Might cut back into safe mode and see what that does.

EDIT 2: Nope. System Restore again. Arse biscuits. Was worth a shot, but it took a ****.

EDIT 3: And appears to have broken a few things. A few games that worked beforehand now CTD or refuse to launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've no history with Optimus but, maybe try booting up a game/whatever to push activity onto the 650 so it'd be the active adapter, then try.

Worth a shot like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

ED E wrote: »
    I've no history with Optimus but, maybe try booting up a game/whatever to push activity onto the 650 so it'd be the active adapter, then try.

Worth a shot like.

No joy.

I think since it doesn't have a hardware graphics mux it has to be done in software, which needs custom drivers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Give MSI customer care a buzz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bit late replying but I had the exact same issues. I had to install the latest Intel drivers in order to update my Nvidia drivers. Pain in the hoop.

Thanks.... I looked into that. It's a pretty new model, on new drivers.

I'll wait and see what happens when the next WHQL drivers come out. However, I don't think they will work. When I tried to hack it into believing it was compatible, the driver update started to loop, repeatedly asking for permission to install the graphics driver and apparently failing to do so.

There might be a way to hack the MSI driver installer to install the unnofficial client..... but I really don't want to break my system horribly again. It really messed things up and took hours to fix (even with system restore)

• Advertisement

Update on this for the one other person in Ireland who does happen to own one of these.

Managed to get the WHQL 306.23 drivers installed with no hacking or fiddling required. They seem to be working fine... I'll check when I'm out of work.

Advertisement