Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to open a port?

• 23-07-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

hey guys i would appreciated any help yee could give me...

Basically i bought 2 IP security cameras for my house to want to know how to open ports to view them outside of my network...

im using a netopia 2247NWG-EIR router and port 80 is already opened on it and i have one camera working from it no problem, but how do i open up a second port to view the second camera or is it possible using port 80 for both cameras without one overlapping the other??

I just a static ip address from vodafone also so no problems with that aspect of it....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Do you have the IP cams connected to a DVR?

What is the make/model of the cameras?

Depending on the answers, you may need to change the configuration on the second camera, to accept connections from a different port. Typical HTTP ports would be 80 and 8080. If the first camera is set to allow access from port 80, the second camera can be configured to allow access through port 8080, and a separate port forwarding rule in your modem would need to be configured.
    If you have a DVR however, there should be no need for this. DVR's generally have a web access page from which you can view both cameras simultaneously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

make sure that your camera is set to a static IP, we will call it 192.168.1.50 for this example.
    • On your router open/forward a random port to 192.168.1.50 say like 6000.
    • To access your camera outside your network type x.x.x.x:6000 (Where x.x.x.x is your IP) into your browser and you should be able to access it.
    Thats should be it but on some routers you will be able to nominate a specific port on the camera to forward to. For web camera interface it should be 80 and for rstp streaming it is generally 554.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

No i dont have a dvr and the cameras are

Make - Tenvis
    Model - IP602w

i will try your suggestions this evening when home from work and let you know how i get on....

just wondering, can other http ports be opened on my router or is it only 80 and 8080??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

From my understanding of it you can open as many ports as you like to as many internal IP addresses as you like, networking is not my strong point point but basically when you forward a port it tells the router that all specific information coming to that port goes to a specific address on the inside.

Opening too many ports can cause a bit of confusion as certain applications uses different ports and forwarding to different Ip's may only shag up your network.

Wikipedia has a list of commonly used ports that you can avoid. Ha! it seems that port 6000 that I used in the example is used by the following service: X11—used between an X client and server over the network :o.

Now like I said networking is not my strong point so i could be a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Got it working guys...

i was just opening a port and then checking to see if the port was opened, which it turn it wasnt as i didnt realise that i had to assign the camera to that port before it would be opened....

So anyone out there like me having trouble, follow the steps below

1 - Open port on your router
    2 - Assign camera to whatever port you have opened
    3 - Now use a port checker website and you should find that the port is now opened.

NB. if you open a port on your router and do not have the camera assigned to that particular port it will show as still being closed...

• Advertisement
Advertisement