Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost passport while on J1

Options
  • 23-07-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

My sister has lost her passport while on J1, with her J1 documents inside it. Aside from the fact that this is her 3rd lost passport in 18 months, where does she stand on the J1 front. If that passport is cancelled, is the visa gone too? Is there a period in which she would be technically working illegally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

The only people that can authoritatively answer your questions are those at the US Department of State, the issuors of the J1 visa. The armchair solicitors found on internet bulletin boards are useless. Have your sister ring the US Department of State and the Irish Embassy in Washington or closest Consulate of Ireland office to remedy this situation immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The only people that can authoritatively answer your questions are those at the US Department of State, the issuors of the J1 visa. Have your sister ring the US Department of State and the Irish Embassy in Washington or closest Consulate of Ireland office to remedy this situation immediately.

+1

I lost my passport several years ago. The Irish Consulate in the city I was residing at the time issued me with an emergency passport. Upon handing me the document, he said "that will be $50". "Oh", says I. Handed him the $50. Which he immediately put into his pocket.

OP: Perhaps you sister shouldn't be carrying her passport and J1 docs around???

dave2pvd wrote: »
    +1

I lost my passport several years ago. The Irish Consulate in the city I was residing at the time issued me with an emergency passport. Upon handing me the document, he said "that will be $50". "Oh", says I. Handed him the $50. Which he immediately put into his pocket.

OP: Perhaps you sister shouldn't be carrying her passport and J1 docs around???
    It doesn't really matter if she has her social security number already. She will have to get an emergency passport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I was more looking for people who had had similar situations than actual legal advice.

She called me this evening, and she lost it "at some point in the last week". She's in San Diego, so I guess this happens several times a day for the local consulate!

I'm just worried that she's technically not legally in the US as a result.

As for not carrying the passport and J1 docs around, that'd almost make sense, no? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

She's still legally allowed in the country as her visa is still in the system electronically, however, she should really act quickly. Being in the country without ID is dangerous and not contacting authorities asap is just as bad. The only advice we can give is to send her to a consulate and get in touch with her J1 company. Hopefully she photocopied everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The nearest consultate will be in San Francisco, get her to contact him there for an emergency passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CopperPipe

tolosenc wrote: »
    I was more looking for people who had had similar situations than actual legal advice.

She called me this evening, and she lost it "at some point in the last week". She's in San Diego, so I guess this happens several times a day for the local consulate!

I'm just worried that she's technically not legally in the US as a result.

As for not carrying the passport and J1 docs around, that'd almost make sense, no? ;)

I have a friend that something similar happened to in San Diego a few years ago when we were on a J1. Her best bet is to visit the Irish Immigration Center in old town in San Diego. There's an Irish American woman who works there that's very good with helping people out with this stuff. Bernandette Cashman is her name, the website for this place is http://www.irishoutreachsd.org.

I remember we drove up to a place near Huntington Beach to collect an emergency passport for him, I think it was like an honorary consulate or something. She'll have to file a police report and stuff before she goes up as back up to her application.

Her visa is still valid just because she lost it doesn't make her illegal so I wouldn't worry about that....

Advertisement