Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to give a dog

• 23-07-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We found a dog two days ago, a small little terrier. We've phoned the gardai, put up posters, phoned the pound etc but no one has responded. He is not getting on with our other dogs who are all big. We need to give him away tomorrow but I dont want to give him to the pound with 5 days to live. Can anyone tell me if the dogs trust take dogs in for free and can I just drop him off? If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Hes not nutuered and in danger around my dogs. He's a lovely small dog though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

engrish? wrote: »
    Hi,

We found a dog two days ago, a small little terrier. We've phoned the gardai, put up posters, phoned the pound etc but no one has responded. He is not getting on with our other dogs who are all big. We need to give him away tomorrow but I dont want to give him to the pound with 5 days to live. Can anyone tell me if the dogs trust take dogs in for free and can I just drop him off? If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Hes not nutuered and in danger around my dogs. He's a lovely small dog though.

What county are you at?

From my experienace the local SPCA volunteers are very good at helping foster dogs until owners or new homes are found.

I noticed in Kildare recently the Kildare Council dog pound will not travel. There is a massive problem in Kildare as the council dog pound is in South Kildare and huge population Dublin Sprawl in North Kildare but noboday wants to know about stray dogs there.

In Offaly where i live the Offaly branch (OSPCA) are very keen to help dogs and cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

IrishHomer wrote: »
    What county are you at?

From my experienace the local SPCA volunteers are very good at helping foster dogs until owners or new homes are found.

I noticed in Kildare recently the Kildare Council dog pound will not travel. There is a massive problem in Kildare as the council dog pound is in South Kildare and huge population Dublin Sprawl in North Kildare but noboday wants to know about stray dogs there.

In Offaly where i live the Offaly branch (OSPCA) are very keen to help dogs and cats.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice - I am in Dun Laoghaire. Do you know where the best place to bring him to would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Try Ashtown Pound as they work closely with a charity to rehome dogs. They have 2nd lowest pts rate in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The best place to put him is whichever local rescue has space. Dublin has loads of rescues, just ask google, we can't recommend any specific ones here as the forum charter does not allow for the discussions of specific rescues. If you have a fb account get on there tonight and contact as many of the rescues as you can, posting a picture of the dog on the page asking does anyone recognise him.

The smaller rescues pages usually have someone manning them, especially in the evening, the larger rescues nit so much. In the morning get yourself onto the phone armed with the info of as many rescues as you can get onto and explain your predicament, best of luck and well done for taking the little fella in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If you could put a lead on the dog and take it out of the room when it acts up with your other dogs it will learn fast
    that it is doing wrong.
    I would put it out for 30 seconds a few times and increase a little if that does not work.
    Let the dog hear you and your dogs are having fun while it is out and it will want to join in.

All IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Try Ashtown Pound as they work closely with a charity to rehome dogs. They have 2nd lowest pts rate in the country.

Think you might be getting confused with Dunboyne. Pound stats here http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/DogControl/

Ashton who since Feb 2012 take Dun Laoghaire dogs have no dedicated rescue working with them but staff and some individuals from rescue try their best to help the dogs.

Dogs Trust will not take strays, only dogs that have been though the pound system.

Hope you come up with something for the little fella, if you find a rescue to take him make sure they have a neutering, chipping and homechecking policy. Be prepared though, everywhere is very full at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Great news - the owner has come forward, collecting him tonight!

Thanks for all of your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Toulouse wrote: »
    Think you might be getting confused with Dunboyne. Pound stats here http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/DogControl/

Ashton who since Feb 2012 take Dun Laoghaire dogs have no dedicated rescue working with them but staff and some individuals from rescue try their best to help the dogs.

Dogs Trust will not take strays, only dogs that have been though the pound system.

Hope you come up with something for the little fella, if you find a rescue to take him make sure they have a neutering, chipping and homechecking policy. Be prepared though, everywhere is very full at the moment :(

Dundalk Dog Rescue take big numbers of Ashton dogs and find homes for them. I don't know if other rescues in Ireland do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ann22 wrote: »
    Toulouse wrote: »

Dundalk Dog Rescue take big numbers of Ashton dogs and find homes for them. I don't know if other rescues in Ireland do likewise.

I was talking to the rescue who used to work with Ashton and they said there are a few rescues now that are now working with Ashton but dunboyne didn't really have anyone so that's why they changed plus I think dunboyne a easier to deal with! (I remember a huge number of dogs were coming out of ashton sick before the rescue switched so maybe that was another reason) They said A Dog's Life is another rescue that is working with Ashton.

Advertisement