Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBJD problem..

Options
  • 23-07-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have a 2 month old blue Jack Dempsey and in the last week I introduced another JD.
    A few days in, and my 3 month old gets very bloated looking.
    I am not sure if they mated or if the fish is sick.. Wont move from the filter pump, wont eat and getting bigger by the day.

just setting up my 2nd tank at the moment to get it ready to move the JD.

pics attached, does he/she look sick or preggers?

photo3-1.jpg
    photo2-2.jpg
    photo1-2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

It sounds like bloat. Epsom salts can help. If you're on the fish forums see if you can get metronidazole from somebody. Shops can't sell it over here. You will want to act fairly quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

I have Tonic salt for freshwater.. Would that do it?
    Should I treat teh whole 450L tank or take him out and treat him in a smaller tank?

Treat him in a qt tank if you can. Tonic salts won't really work. Bloat is a pain in the ass and the only really effective results I've seen have been with metro. You can order it online but it usually takes ages to arrive.

Ok cheers. Is there anything I can buy in a LFS that might help?

By the looks of him he is about to burst and I dont think he has 3 days.
    He is gone under the internal filter and barely moving..

If it is bloat/dropsy it is very hard to treat. You only really have a window of a day or so. Do the scales on the fish look raised? Google dropsy/bloat and have a look at the pictures.

LFS can't sell metro, clout or the antibiotics needed to treat it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    If it is bloat/dropsy it is very hard to treat. You only really have a window of a day or so. Do the scales on the fish look raised? Google dropsy/bloat and have a look at the pictures.

LFS can't sell metro, clout or the antibiotics needed to treat it unfortunately.

Unfortunately he didnt make it through the night.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

buzz wrote: »
    Unfortunately he didnt make it through the night.:(

I'm really sorry to hear that Buzz...do you think the JD i gave you caused the problem?

It's generally caused by diet or consistently high nitrates. EBJD are notoriously weak fish from whatever goes on during the breeding process. If your water parameters have been normal I'd chalk it up to bad luck with a hard to keep fish.

It is a type of bacterial infection so it may be worth treating the tank to ensure it doesn't spread. The first sign is usually the fish taking food but then spitting it back out, followed by raised scales and bloated body and then death usually within three or four days.

It's generally caused by diet or consistently high nitrates. EBJD are notoriously weak fish from whatever goes on during the breeding process. If your water parameters have been normal I'd chalk it up to bad luck with a hard to keep fish.

It is a type of bacterial infection so it may be worth treating the tank to ensure it doesn't spread. The first sign is usually the fish taking food but then spitting it back out, followed by raised scales and bloated body and then death usually within three or four days.

You have it there..
    The fish was spitting food out and re eating it. That was thursday I first time I noticed and dead last night. Is there any treatment you owuld recommend to treat the tank or would the epsom salt do it? All the other are swimming and eating / acting normal, but certainly not worth taking the risk. Water conditions are very good and my other EBJD is perfect. I will put this down to experience, I should of done something about it when I first noticed the bloating. Thanks for your help mr Whirly!

Degsy wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to hear that Buzz...do you think the JD i gave you caused the problem?

I'm not sure Derek. It happened at the same time but the JD you gave me was fine! I had to move him to the 2nd tank as he got very aggressive and attacked all the other fish to show that he was clearly the boss lol Even took on and put the oscars larger than him into hiding!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

buzz wrote: »
    I'm not sure Derek. It happened at the same time but the JD you gave me was fine! I had to move him to the 2nd tank as he got very aggressive and attacked all the other fish to show that he was clearly the boss lol Even took on and put the oscars larger than him into hiding!

Told ya he was a vicious SOB..i'd have thrown him in with my own oscars except they would have swallowed him whole :)

It may not be necessary as in my experience it tends to only affect the same species if it does spread.

What other fish are in the tank?

It may not be necessary as in my experience it tends to only affect the same species if it does spread.

What other fish are in the tank?

There is 2 small oscars, 2 severums, 1 other EBJD, a green terror and a pangasius shark

Advertisement