Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a loan to pay my rent.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

Have you ANY of the cash?

If so, whats the shortfall? How can you be so sure you will be sorted in a few weeks?

i'l have 250 that's it and then won't have anything to live off.
    I know i will be sorted in a couple of weeks cause i will have rent allowance sorted then and my boyfriend will be getting a few small jobs. He's a painter and decorator and things are just a bit slack at the minute

RossieMan wrote: »
    OP, stop stressing, Your landlord won't let you go straight away, it would take him 2-3 months to have the house rented again, it wouldn't make sense to throw you straight out.

you'll have time to pay it, but you might need to cut out all non important purchases. i'd go for a bank loan, it will take time but if you show your landlord you're trying they'll surely understand.

I wish you the best of luck.

he would rent this house out within in a week for a fact. i cant get a bank loan i already tried because my income is so low they won't entertain me.
    Im only in the house 2 months and don't want to start out on the wrong foot with the landlord. he told me from day 1 if i miss a months rent i'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well I've news for you OP the landlord can't just turf you out. When you are one day late with the rent he can issue a notice that you have to pay within 14 days. If you don't pay after those 14 days he has to give you notice of termination of contract. If he just turfs you out he could be in real trouble with the PRTB.

Go to the St. Vincent De Paul, they don't just give food vouchers. DO NOT GO TO A MONEY LENDER.

Also, go to your local CWO and tell them you won't be leaving until you get confirmation that they'll pay your rent allowance. Ask to speak to their supervisor. If your rent allowance is controlled by the Central Rents Unit (I know parts of Dublin 15 are controlled by this) then ring them until they sort it for you. They are open between 10am-12pm Mon-Fri and you can get the number from the CWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

nessy382 wrote: »
    he would rent this house out within in a week for a fact. i cant get a bank loan i already tried because my income is so low they won't entertain me.
    Im only in the house 2 months and don't want to start out on the wrong foot with the landlord. he told me from day 1 if i miss a months rent i'm out.

And to think that this sort of thing was in the past! All I will say is,Stay away from the money lenders.PERIOD. If you have any Gold etc ,Pawn it for the short term.Get anything you dont need up here on adverts,Who knows. I can only imagine the stress you are under.Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Back to the CWO, they really are your best option. I would plead the case, and plead some more - if you're in a genuine situation, they WILL sort you out.

As a previous poster said, explain to the landlord that you might be late this time around. He can't legally throw you out without giving notice, even if you haven't paid (afaik) but make an excuse anyway (say you're with Ulster Bank for example) and hopefully things change in the meantime.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Well I've news for you OP the landlord can't just turf you out. When you are one day late with the rent he can issue a notice that you have to pay within 14 days. If you don't pay after those 14 days he has to give you notice of termination of contract. If he just turfs you out he could be in real trouble with the PRTB.

Go to the St. Vincent De Paul, they don't just give food vouchers. DO NOT GO TO A MONEY LENDER.

Also, go to your local CWO and tell them you won't be leaving until you get confirmation that they'll pay your rent allowance. Ask to speak to their supervisor. If your rent allowance is controlled by the Central Rents Unit (I know parts of Dublin 15 are controlled by this) then ring them until they sort it for you. They are open between 10am-12pm Mon-Fri and you can get the number from the CWO.

This landlord will throw me out an he won't care and i wouldn't be able to go to anyone about this cause he is a bit of a gangster i don't want to get on the wrong side of him that's why i just want to get his rent and don't want to be out on the street.
    I will ring the st. vincent de paul in morning and see can they do anything for me.

And to think that this sort of thing was in the past! All I will say is,Stay away from the money lenders.PERIOD. If you have any Gold etc ,Pawn it for the short term.Get anything you dont need up here on adverts,Who knows. I can only imagine the stress you are under.Hope you get sorted.

I have no gold or nothing like that i am barely able to live at the minute. this is not a thing in the past this is happening a lot of people i know at the minute. i'v tried all the routes i just have to go to a money lender there is nothing i can do it will only be a 1 off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

your landlord cannot throw you out of the house. FACT

go to citizen advice/threshold/CWO anyone bar the money lender

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Back to the CWO, they really are your best option. I would plead the case, and plead some more - if you're in a genuine situation, they WILL sort you out.

As a previous poster said, explain to the landlord that you might be late this time around. He can't legally throw you out without giving notice, even if you haven't paid (afaik) but make an excuse anyway (say you're with Ulster Bank for example) and hopefully things change in the meantime.

is that thing still going on with ulster bank? if it is i suppose i could say something like that. but it just would be a whole lot easier if i could get a lend of the money of someone and pay this guy. just in case nothing else sorts out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Hold on, just to be clear. You're making 250 a week and your rent is 750 a month?

• Advertisement

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Hold on, just to be clear. You're making 250 a week and your rent is 750 a month?

ye i live with my bf to and he was working but now on the dole as not getting any work. so we are waiting for rent allowance to be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I know 2 people who had rent paid one month by SVDP. They do give vouchers but will pay your rent if you are seriously stuck. No harm in asking amd you wont be stuck oweing a money lender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This landlord will throw me out an he won't care and i wouldn't be able to go to anyone about this cause he is a bit of a gangster i don't want to get on the wrong side of him that's why i just want to get his rent and don't want to be out on the street.
    I will ring the st. vincent de paul in morning and see can they do anything for me.

He'll be no sort of gangster when you contact the PRTB if he does throw you out. Seriously OP don't be a coward. If he throws you out follow the proper channels and take a case against him.

I know 2 people who had rent paid one month by SVDP. They do give vouchers but will pay your rent if you are seriously stuck. No harm in asking amd you wont be stuck oweing a money lender

ok i will try them. did they defo help out people with rent problems? had the couple got kids?

January wrote: »
    He'll be no sort of gangster when you contact the PRTB if he does throw you out. Seriously OP don't be a coward. If he throws you out follow the proper channels and take a case against him.

ok but that would be my last resort, I would prefer just to pay the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Last year you were on looking for the price of a boob job, earlier in the year you were looking to get your car panels resprayed and now you can't afford your rent.
    Have you already sold your car?
    Move back home or in with relatives if things are that bad or house share with a few others.

ok i will try them. did they defo help out people with rent problems? had the couple got kids?
    one was my 19 year old brother in law, gave him €700 for his rent and the other was a mate and his girlfriend who had the gas cut iff so paid that out of the rent money and then were short half. Boyh got cash from a little oul one who came round to the house and afaik both paid it back eventually. One was in wicklow and one south kildare

Last year you were on looking for the price of a boob job, earlier in the year you were looking to get your car panels resprayed and now you can't afford your rent.
    Have you already sold your car?
    Move back home or in with relatives if things are that bad or house share with a few others.

excuse me, ya last year i was working in a good job and so was my boyfriend, both of us had good money then things have taking a turn for the worst and i don't see what any of my recent posts have to do with this.
    I'm looking for someone to help me out here, not to put me down and have a go at me.
    THINGS CHANGE TWOHEELSONLY!

one was my 19 year old brother in law, gave him €700 for his rent and the other was a mate and his girlfriend who had the gas cut iff so paid that out of the rent money and then were short half. Boyh got cash from a little oul one who came round to the house and afaik both paid it back eventually. One was in wicklow and one south kildare

ok i will try them tomorrow. thanks for all the genuine help kildare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

excuse me, ya last year i was working in a good job and so was my boyfriend, both of us had good money then things have taking a turn for the worst and i don't see what any of my recent posts have to do with this.
    I'm looking for someone to help me out here, not to put me down and have a go at me.
    THINGS CHANGE TWOHEELSONLY!

I know as well as anyone, and better than most, that things change.
    Believe it or not I wasn't trying to put you down or have a go at you. You say that last year you were better off, that's fair enough, but you only moved into the house 2 months ago according to an earlier post.
    For the time being cut your cloth to measure. Swallow your pride and move back with relatives if you can or house share with somebody. You're looking at borrowing money that you can't afford and it sounds to me like you'll try anyone or anywhere. That's a recipe for disaster.
    What happens if the RA hasn't been processed by this time next month? There's absolutely zero guarantee that it will.
    As far as I can see your options are to negotiate with the landlord (who is more than likely also under pressure BTW) or to move out. Borrowing in your current situation is financial suicide IMO.
    You're young, (I'm guessing) and you'll bounce back. Just be practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Read this entire thrend and it sounds fishy to me. 'Gangster' landlord who'll throws people directly out for slightly late rent,750e rent on 1000e wages. If you are serious and not just looking for attention, move back in with family. Why'd you take the house on 2 months ago if you knew landlord was dodgy?

In fairness ahe said she is renting with her boyfriend so its not €750 rent on €1000 income

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

whenever you do get this sorted i would advise moving out of that house asap and moving to a new one, no point living under the roof of a gangster landlord who you are afraid of and will throw you out of the house on a moments notice with no regard for the law..

i would mention pawn shops,but allready someone brought this up and you have nothing of value you said..

i would also recomend just moving back home with your parents or siblings or family members til you can get yourself or your boyfriend earning some more money weekly and then you can try moving back in together when your situation improves

one route you could go down,im being serious here if you need fast cash, someone mentioned you had a boob job last year,what about joining one of them websites with cam modelling? i mean no offense to you at all, your askin for options here to make fast money,maybe its something you would not be comfortable doing,i know that women make anything for 50 quid to 500 quid a night for flashing some breast..if you are not into that kind of thing then fine that is understandable,many women would find it degrading..im trying to be as tastefull here as possible,hopefully nobody gets offended..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

In advance of your rent day talk to Threshold and explain the situation. If you're going to be late with the rent and you have the type of landlord who would attempt to throw you out then you need support.

Try to get into your local threshold office - tell them on the phone it is an emergency. They will call and talk to your landlord for you if he's threatening to put you on the street. They'll explain the laws in relation to it all.

Often a call from Threshold is enough to cool off a hot-headed landlord who thinks it's their right to do what they want.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Go to your local Housing Authority as soon as possible and ask to speak to the CWO (Community Welfare Officer.) This person would be in a position to make one-off payments/loans in certain circumstances.

They would also be able to provide advice, information and support in relation to putting a long-term plan in place for you, so that you don't end up in this situation again.

Agreed... They will help out if they find you in a real trouble with the rent, You may have to wait long in the queue but it will be worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm closing this thread, because this is not the forum for this type of thing.

Try State Benefits please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement