Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam sale survivors thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Since the sale I've installed and played the following.

Batman Arkham City < 1hour. :
    GFWL made me lose patience.

Arma II CO < 1 hour :
    Just testing the game editor again. Love Arma but need another week or so before I've everything set up properly for the game. Then I might consider trying DayZ. Not yet though.

Sins of a Solar Empire : Trinity. <8hrs. :
    Absolutely adore this game. Played just two games, the second one is still on going. Watching the AI in action is just amazing, it's the kind of game you'd happily watch the battles on screen all day.
    Slight annoyance in that I can't launch it via steam without a game crash have to launch it directly from its own installation folder. :(

Splinter Cell: Conviction <20hrs :
    Fantastic game. At first I was a bit disappointed with how the game seemed to be forcing me to kill folks. Granted there are some forced kills in the game, but they were in every Splinter Cell and like every SC game the real challenge is in sneaking about unnoticed. Just like in Chaos Theory enemies come from areas you snuck past too, doubling the tension the further you sneak into the level without being spotted. Amazing game. Killing is so much fun too.
    Sam Fisher is more of a Jack Bauer character but I think the game nailed both the Stealth aspect and the casual-ish predator style killer game as well.
    Really, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much. It's not Chaos Theory, but it's a might fine crafted game -game wise! Uplay's save feature isn't reliable at all so I initially completed the game in one sitting, due to having to start over twice. Yep, just like all SCs the game is rather short but very well worth the experience.

Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit < 24 hours.
    Exhilerating game. The online multiplayer mode is just fantastic fun. Single player is good too but online is where it's at. Hot Pursuit with a couple of friends and the hours just fizz by. The sense of speed in the game is unreal, the scenery is gorgeous and the thrill of chase/hunt is blood pumping. Between this and Splinter Cell I'm delighted with the steam sale both games just make my heart go that little bit faster when I'm playing them.

Prince of Persia : Sands of Time < 3hours.
    Great little platformer/avoid the traps game. The narrator Prince is a tad annoying but the game has aged very well.

Worms Reloaded <1hr.
    Looks nice in HD but I still think Armageddon and WWP is going to be most I'll ever get out of worms.

Frozen Synapse <1hr (That can't be right!?:confused:)
    Great little concept but still haven't been able to log in online so stuck with single player for now. Had really hoped to play it with friends online as we were learning the ropes. (I find that for some games being total noobs and playing privately is sheer fun that you can't experience once at least one member of the party become adept at a game.)

Unreal Tournament <1hr.
    Instagib. Epics! I loved this game so much.

Assassins Creed II. <6hrs
    This one is problematic. I think it's my internet settings but like SC the game just point blank refuses to save for me at times. Or worse, overwrite existing saves. Was thrilling fun, especially my first view of the entire city of Florence from a height and the dive, oh! the dive, into the river. So beautiful. So, so beautiful.

Terraria <2hrs.
    This is very good fun. Grab some friends and play it with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The Roach wrote: »
    Or you could freak yourself out by looking here and seeing how much your account is worth in total: (I'm currently at $832.46!!!!)
    Steam Calculator

$2016.40 USD :eek:

Guessing that's the non-sale price..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

TPD wrote: »
    Or you could freak yourself out by looking here and seeing how much your account is worth in total: (I'm currently at $832.46!!!!)
    Steam Calculator

$2016.40 USD :eek:

Guessing that's the non-sale price..

Just go into your account from the link at the top right of the main steam window. There is a transaction list there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Lets see in the order I bought them:-

AC Revelations - not installed yet
    Bioshock 2 - not installed yet
    Two Worlds 2 - Already have TW1 and need to play that first
    Batman Arkham City - well into Asylum but need to finish it before moving on to this
    Gothic 3 - loved Gothic 1, playing Gothic 2 so wanted this as I believe it's a perfectly playable game now with patches etc. I have the original box so this falls into the "nice to have on steam" list.
    Bastion - not installed yet
    X: Beyond the frontier/X2 the Threat - yet another set of games I already owned on disc gathering dust somewhere. Who knows when I will play them but it's the idea of playing them that counts :)
    Fable the Lost Chapters - one I own on disc and never played. I have started this and looks fun. Very english.
    AC, AC 2 Deluxe Edition, AC Brotherhood - they went cheap offering me a good opportunity to have all of the AC series on PC. I will get around to these at some point but not yet.
    Thief Bundle - I own all of these already so more for the "nice to have on steam" list.
    Splinter Cell Conviction - not installed yet. Enjoyed the others but have yet to complete Chaos Theory.
    Driver San Fran - started this and seems fun with some seriously skiddy driving machanics.

Total damage - €72.84

After all that I sat down the other night and decided to restart Gothic 2 which I bought from gog. I was only an hour or so into it when I stopped a few months back and will probably be playing that now for the foreseeable. Loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ive been so busy that ive only managed 20-30 mins of Limbo so far. though i hope to be able to get in an hour or 2 of batman over the weekend. itll be september before i get a good chance to game again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I just got Quantum Conundrum, and I have actually started playing it. I managed to restrain myself and not go over board, in the sale.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

How do I get my steam id? The calculator isn't taking the name I use to login...

Also, does it count what I have spent, or current value of the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I tried the steam calculator and it told me I had $0.00 worth of games. My credit card says otherwise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I tried to buy ARMA 2 to play dayz but luckily/unluckily my credit card was maxed out. I didn't buy anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I tried the steam calculator and it told me I had $0.00 worth of games. My credit card says otherwise. :)

Said the same for me as well :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Andy!! wrote: »
    How do I get my steam id? The calculator isn't taking the name I use to login...

Also, does it count what I have spent, or current value of the games?
    http://www.steamcalculator.com/faq.php?id=2#id-2

It's current value since it'd have no idea what price you bought it at since that info isn't available except to you when you're logged into Steam
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Make sure your profile is public. It can't access your Community profile otherwise to check how many games you have.

Mine: $1321.47 / €1207.97 / £939.87

Really shows the $1=€1 pricing Steam has going on. Between Steam sales and indie bundles, if I've spent a tenth of that on games, it'd probably be overestimating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

You should have got emails after each purchase, so you can just scan through them and add it up.
    Steam Calculator

$4,749.63 :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's no need to use the Steam Calculator unless you want to estimate how much you've saved on sales. Everything is in your Steam account.

214601.png

5uspect wrote: »
    There's no need to use the Steam Calculator unless you want to estimate how much you've saved on sales. Everything is in your Steam account.

That doesn't account for keys or gifts though, they just show up as free (if only!). BTW, probably best to block out your Steam name for security so someone doesn't attempt to hack your account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just need an Autumn sale now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just need an Autumn sale now. :D

next one will be only on xmas i thought?

feck all left to buy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Here's how the Sale went for me;

Realises no money in bank account for sale.
    Goes mad selling gear in D3 on the Real Money Auction House to fund inevitable purchases.
    Builds up €140 over 2 weeks from D3 sales.
    Charges €120 worth of games to Credit Card over course of sale.
    Sale Ends.
    Tries to extract money from B.net account to paypal and realises not possible.
    Facepalm.
    Sees brightside of having tonnes of new games to drown out the outstanding bill.
    Plays Tribes Ascend exclusively since which is free to play.
    Double Facepalm.

God damn you Steam Sale, god damn you to Hell!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Big Knox wrote: »
    Here's how the Sale went for me;

Realises no money in bank account for sale.
    Goes mad selling gear in D3 on the Real Money Auction House to fund inevitable purchases.
    Builds up €140 over 2 weeks from D3 sales.
    Charges €120 worth of games to Credit Card over course of sale.
    Sale Ends.
    Tries to extract money from B.net account to paypal and realises not possible.
    Facepalm.
    Sees brightside of having tonnes of new games to drown out the outstanding bill.
    Plays Tribes Ascend exclusively since which is free to play.
    Double Facepalm.

God damn you Steam Sale, god damn you to Hell!!! :(

You could buy gold and then resell it, You will face a 30% loss but it is better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I plan on doing something similar, I now plan to play Diablo until I get items to sell to repay cost of game and steam sale. Any extra money will go towards Xmas sale. Now just to start farming and hopefully get some sellable items

next one will be only on xmas i thought?

feck all left to buy! :D

There was an Autumn sale last year iirc though it was short, only 4-5 days.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=autumn+sale+steam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I bought Sins of A Solar Empire Trinity for like €7 just to play my friends online. Its wicked fun in that respect.

I also managed to get Fallout 3 GOTY for €5 and as you can guess I have made it unrecognisable with mods. My favourites are the Apocalypse Armory, Mart's Mutant Mod, Fellout and Darker Interiors.

Another day spent only with tropico 4. I can't believe it... So far from the games I bought it looks like the best bargain I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

RolandIRL wrote: »
    There was an Autumn sale last year iirc though it was short, only 4-5 days.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=autumn+sale+steam

There was also a Halloween sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6618/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/steam-discounts-give-boost-for-developers-6388506

Thought this was interesting. Not sure if posted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

danthefan wrote: »

Sounds like good news. Can only mean more sales and more discounts really!!

danthefan wrote: »

Where is your god now EA!!! Muhahahahahahhaahahah !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Where is your god now EA!!! Muhahahahahahhaahahah !

Well at least EA don't cheapen their IPs!

:rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Another day spent only with tropico 4. I can't believe it... So far from the games I bought it looks like the best bargain I got.

Can't believe it took you this long to buy it ;)

• Advertisement

Can't believe it took you this long to buy it ;)

i had tropico 3 from last time, but it was bitching about multiple monitors so i did not bothered with it anymore. now i got tropico 4 and it worked fine :D.

its a shame tropico 4 does not like my surround 3 monitor setup... :(

Advertisement