Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal Question

Options
  • 23-07-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Can anyone remind me what the personal pieces that the blowers/cutters were allowed to make and bring home were called? You know the kind of thing, walking sticks, coloured fish, swans - there was a word for them and it's driving me mad trying to remember!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Christmas piece ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

They did do Christmas pieces, you're right but the ones I'm talking about would have been made regularly at the end of the working day, it was a slang term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Himself worked there for 7 years and never heard of anyone doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

knock offs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

perks of the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

D'father worked there for years. We have plenty of these at home, but I honestly can't think if they had a name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 regtower

HI,

The end of day pieces made like this are called friggers.

Regards,

Regtower.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Holy Waterfond.

Seahorse

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone - regtower has it, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 regtower

My pleasure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

surely these pieces would not be stamped and not valuable (except to whoever made them) ?

Any Holy Waterfond for sale ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paranoidpoker

Pension funds

This is an old article but you can see the kinds of things I was talking about - they would not be stamped as they were made from off-cuts and were made by the craftsman for his own personal use rather than for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Ah feck, was just coming back with friggers after asking someone who worked there, delighted with myself and all so I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Holy Waterfonds and Pensionfonds have gone missing without a stamp

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

At the height of production Waterford Crystal employed around 3,500 in this county. Those were the days. Mary Coughlan addressing the former workers in the Tower Hotel said Get over this, Waterford Crystal is gone, we in Donegal had to get over Fruit of the Loom. I was amazed nobody asked her to name three reconized Irish international brands that are produced in Ireland. I can tell you Fruit of the Loom was not one of them but by God Waterford Crystal was. Now name two more and there aint much more than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement