Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenny meeting Romney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'd imagine it's just a PR shot for Romney tbh. I would hope we have no serious business with the current republican crazy anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Kenny meeting Romney, who is in with a good chance of winning given the state of the US economy, seems to be one of the former's half-way sensible moves .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Manach wrote: »
    Kenny meeting Romney, who is in with a good chance of winning given the state of the US economy, seems to be one of the former's half-way sensible moves .

Good chance, where are you getting that from? Romney hasn't a hope.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sustained attacks by President Barack Obama's campaign on Republican rival Mitt Romney's business history and refusal to release more tax records appear to be working, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed on Tuesday.
    More than a third of voters who are registered to a party or as an independent said in the online survey that what they had heard about Romney's taxes and his time at Bain Capital private equity firm had given them a less favorable impression of the Republican candidate.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-attacks-taxes-bain-hit-romney-ratings-050211174.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Paddypower:

Obama 8/15
    Romney 6/4

Still very close and a long way to go. Obama will not be as popular as four years ago, he followed a lot of Bush's policies but a lot of people see diffferent because he isn't Bush.

Min wrote: »
    Paddypower:

Obama 8/15
    Romney 6/4

Still very close and a long way to go. Obama will not be as popular as four years ago, he followed a lot of Bush's policies but a lot of people see diffferent because he isn't Bush.

Meh. Time for a punt on Obama.

I think a lot of Americans will have a hard time voting for a man who believes Jesus visited the Americas, and that Joseph Smith got it all from golden plates only readable with special glasses, both of which have since 'vanished'.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Good chance, where are you getting that from? Romney hasn't a hope.
    Same place you persumably are getting yours from, taking random news articles from the web based on search terms.
    Romney moves into tie with Obama:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Meh. Time for a punt on Obama.

I think a lot of Americans will have a hard time voting for a man who believes Jesus visited the Americas, and that Joseph Smith got it all from golden plates only readable with special glasses, both of which have since 'vanished'.

Yes, I mean, the rest of Christian belief is entirely plausible, but the extra bit the Mormons added is just nutty. ;)

goose2005 wrote: »
    Yes, I mean, the rest of Christian belief is entirely plausible, but the extra bit the Mormons added is just nutty. ;)

When you are card-carrying happy clappy Republican, perhaps Mormonism might be a tad too far, I'm gobsmacked he got the nomination. I think the GOP will live to regret it. I predict Romney will get into the religious debate at some point, and not fare well.

Same place you persumably are getting yours from, taking random news articles from the web based on search terms.

Pick a poll date.

romney_vs_obama_july_24_2012.jpg

edit: InTrade doesn't seem all that bullish for Romney...

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=743474 -57%
    http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=743475 - 40.4%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Will Obama not resent this and will it not make him resent Kenny?

Also is it wise to get involved in US elections at all...you always risk offending the other half of the nation.

And how will this pan out if Obama wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I don't see any problem with it. Its a matter of courtesy that he is met. After all, the Republicans hold congress, even if there is a Democratic president.

Even the corporates do it. If I was a CEO of a multinational and dealing with a developing country, and I was looking at the outcome of an election, depending on the poll outcome, I'd donate/siphon off 75% to Team A, and 25% to Team B, depending on their chances of winning. Either way, in terms of lobbying power, I don't loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

No problem with the meeting, I'm sure Romney will have photo-ops with as many leaders he can.
    Apparently doing so boosts your foreign policy credentials back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Will Obama not resent this and will it not make him resent Kenny?

Also is it wise to get involved in US elections at all...you always risk offending the other half of the nation.

And how will this pan out if Obama wins.

Oh please

You think Obama gives a tu-penny damn about who Romney meets while visiting Europe ?

Oh please

You think Obama gives a tu-penny damn about who Romney meets while visiting Europe ?

You think Obama doesn't have an election team tracking Romney, oh please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Romney may be tied with Obama in the national polls but as the US use the Electoral College system in their voting, so the election boils down to about 7 or 8 swing states (always has, always will as long as they keep using the Electoral College). Obama has a good lead in those states at the moment, but in a two horse race with 3 months left I wouldn't bet on either of them. Yes Romney has the personality of the man who fell to earth and his religion is strange and off-putting to a lot of Americans, but it's all about the economy and Obama hasn't handled that matter well at all.

No harm in Enda meeting up with Romney, for once he might seem like the charasmatic one at the very least :p

You think Obama doesn't have an election team tracking Romney, oh please....

I'm sure he or someone is his team is aware that Kenny is meeting Romney, but I doubt it is going to bother him too much, as the poster inferred it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

That's the impression I get from NPR too, that both candidates are quite close.

People forget that Obama is more popular in Europe than he is in America, not much use in an American general election. Mormonism aside, Romney comes from a more moderate wing of the Republican party so has greater middle-ground appeal than some of the nuttier contenders for the Republican nomination.

I see no reason not to meet him. Just a courtesy visit. Both sides get some small publicity out of it.

donaghs wrote: »
    That's the impression I get from NPR too, that both candidates are quite close.

People forget that Obama is more popular in Europe than he is in America, not much use in an American general election. Mormonism aside, Romney comes from a more moderate wing of the Republican party so has greater middle-ground appeal than some of the nuttier contenders for the Republican nomination.

I see no reason not to meet him. Just a courtesy visit. Both sides get some small publicity out of it.

Good post

Most people, and the Irish media for that matter, chose to ignore the fact that Romney is a moderate, ran away with the GOP nomination, and will appeal to independents and middle ground Dems.

It does not suit their 'All Republican's are wackos' agenda

Oh please

Yep...and the democratic party too...why else would Romney agree to meet Kenny...why did Obama come here?

It helps Romney..that does not help Obama..plus Irish - Americans are traditionally dems.
    It does not help Ireland ...but potentially harms us..nuetrality is best...

Why has Romney agreed to meet kenny? Wants the Irish vote?? Is that big anymore?What's in it for Romney???

And yes i think it pisses Obama off a lot...the democratic party went to a lot of effort to make foreign visits with Obama...this republican campaign is like a copycat version of the democratic campaign 4 yrs ago.

We need to be careful which side we align with as krugman has already maligned us with austerity as cruel followers of the Romney ideology and this is not popular with a lot of Americans.

Traditionally the Irish here and in America side with the democrats and the democratic party has been the one the represent Irish interests.

Is this best for us? And for our political relations with most Irish Americans?

I am unsure ..we should remain nuetral...interestingly anyone remember why on St Pat's Day Kenny did not meet the president ?? It was odd??? Not making anything of it just curious?

Ireland has come up rather strangely in this US election in a bad light twice..with the krugan analysis and as the Dems representing us as a tax haven (both were untrue and miss represented). The Democratic side usually an ally of the Irish presented ireland negatively and now kenny meets Romney pre-election....the same Romney who has money here that americans think we are practically stealing from them according to Obama?? You don't think that maybe this tiny nation is being dragged into something that could be potentially harmful to us politically and reputation wise?

Interestingly what is Romney's stance on irish immigrants who have lived abroad in the US illegally for years?? (i don't support that myself just so you know) but is that not considered an Irish interest? He supports their deportation...Obama does not....

And also the future of our low corp tax rate (whih is our sovreign business quite frankly) is america becoming hostile to it and Ireland ?

Why is Romney meeting Kenny??

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8506334/romney-causes-stir-in-britain

Lol ...He upset the Brits by criticising their Olympic games. RUDE??

'The meetings come a day after the Daily Telegraph newspaper published a story quoting an unidentified Romney campaign adviser saying the Republican believes the US relationship with Britain is special because of shared "Anglo-Saxon heritage" and the White House doesn't appreciate that shared history.'

Lol....Romney wants to be a Brit. and then give out about them..oh no wait just English....anglo-saxon forget wales and scotland...and minorities.

Cameron sniped back saying doing things in the 'middle of nowhere' must be easier referring to Utah....RUDE???

Gosh these politicans suck each others asses one minute then insult each others countries the next!

The actors on the Ferrero Roche and could be more diplomatic.

It's hilarious ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't think it's appropriate for Kenny to meet with any political parties of foreign countries, other than the democratically elected ones, imo.

As an FYI : this is a breakdown per electoral colleges:
    link:
    Latest : Obama 332 vs Romney 206

^^

Thanks, puts all the media calls for a close contest in perspective.

I noted two things of note: "Despite months of ads by both sides, all many voters know about Romney is that he is rich, Mormon, and not Obama."

"by a 2 to 1 margin, they consider Obama more likable than Romney"

Advertisement