Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect 2 routers with wifi?

• 23-07-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Greetings to all,

I am about to cry after having trying to connect a Cisco 2425 and Asus RT-N56U without success for 6 hours.

The Asus router is the wan router connecting to the internet and all works fine.
    Thing is that I have a desktop computer on the second floor which I connected to a Cisco epc2425 with an ethernet cable.

Now how the h*ll do I connect the cisco with the asus router via WIFI so that the desktop computer can access internet?

The Cisco Router has a wifi bridging feature and I have set the asus MAC address as the remote bridge.

The Asus uses lan ip of 192.168.1.100 > 192.168.1.254
    and I have set the cisco to use 192.168.1.3 > 192.168.1.24

What else do I have to do to make it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

You trying something like this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You put both routers in 'ad hoc' mode, course you cannot wirelessly connect any other devices to them if they are in ad hoc mode and paired with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lummisan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You put both routers in 'ad hoc' mode, course you cannot wirelessly connect any other devices to them if they are in ad hoc mode and paired with each other.

'Ad hoc' Mode?

I never in my life would have thought it was this difficult getting it to work...maybe it does not work at all with the setup and routers of mine? First I do not understand what "ad hoc" mode means =)

Maybe I am doing things wrong?
    The Cisco 2425 has the feature of "bridging wireless" and this feature is turned ON and I have entered the Main routers MacAddress.
    I have also on the main router (Asus RT-N56U) set wireless bridging to hybrid and set the MacAdress to the Cisco Router << correct?

Both use Wep2 personal with same encryption.
    Both share same SSID.
    Asus has ip 196.168.1.1
    Cisco has ip 196.168.1.2

Cisco has dhcp turned of and the desktop computer connected to the cisco has a static ip of 196.168.1.3

I can not ping 196.168.1.1 from the desktop computer connected to the cisco = host unreachable...

Do I have to make any other adjustments elsewhere such as routing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Are both routers on the same channel, the should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I dont think the epc2425 can do what you want it to do.
    You need a DD-WRT router.
    Would be easier to get a USB wirless adapter for the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

DD-WRT is the way to go. cheapest way is to buy an old router on ebay and flash it with the DD-WRT firmware BUT make sure it is compatible.
    I've looked unsuccessfully for a way to set up the (piece of cr*p) eircom routers to do this a while ago and failed. it would be great to get the eircom routers to do this as there are so many of them lying around unused in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lummisan

Well after 10 hours more of hair puling I have come to the same conclusion. Even
    though that the 2425 does support WDS.
    Thanks to ALL who tried to help and this is indeed a fantastic forum with great and kind people.

Now I will put the Cisco 2425 on the concrete floor and go and get my little friend - the sledge hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

This TP link here will do what you want, SSID's, Channels & Security must be the same on both.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WR740N-150M-11N-LAN-fixed-antenna-4-port-Router-/220983993725?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3373ac257d

There is a second hand ADSL router here for €6.00 which should be capable of doing it also (Check manufacturers website)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Second-Hand-ADSL-54M-Router-TD-W8901GB-antenna-but-without-charger-/221079658588?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item33795fe05c

24_07_2012_08_50_12_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I know it's not what your asking for; but a pair of Powerline adaptors are an effective alternative, aren't too expensive, and offer (in my case at least) a steady ~90Mbps of actual bandwidth with rock-solid reliability.

Wifi is the bane of my life. Well, ok, my computer usage.

• Advertisement

Big Lar wrote: »
    This TP link here will do what you want, SSID's, Channels & Security must be the same on both.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WR740N-150M-11N-LAN-fixed-antenna-4-port-Router-/220983993725?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3373ac257d

There is a second hand ADSL router here for €6.00 which should be capable of doing it also (Check manufacturers website)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Second-Hand-ADSL-54M-Router-TD-W8901GB-antenna-but-without-charger-/221079658588?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item33795fe05c

Is there anypoint buy a whole new set of routers? When you could just buy an extender?

And that second hand ADSL modem has no power plug. It would be a pain to find a replacement

Advertisement