Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pie Shop

Options
  • 23-07-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

So I have heard mouthwatering rumours of a new pie shop in town.:D Near Neachtains somewhere? Is it the old printmakers shop?

Anyone been in? What's on the menu?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not been yet but I know the guy running it. Think four or five different pies. A chicken, a vegetarian and not sure of the others. I think fiver for a pie or 7 with mash and peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not been yet but I know the guy running it. Think four or five different pies. A chicken, a vegetarian and not sure of the others. I think fiver for a pie or 7 with mash and peas.

Think there's a few people in on it. If it's the same guy he's an amazing chef - used to run a well missed place on Quay St years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

oooh, are they anything like the pies from the Pieminister van that was down at the docks during the Volvo, their blue cheese one and their veg one were well yum. here's hoping! :)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Again don't quote me as I hav'nt been there yet. The original Veg one was going to be Feta and Spinach I think.
    Not sure who the chef is but the stuff is being cooked in another premises as the shop is too small. Apparently he is top class but if not I won't be praising him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Nice one. I've been looking to fill a void since the Pasty place closed down...

• Advertisement

They could do with putting a chalkboard or something on the wall outside. It's very easy to miss the place if you didn't know it was there. Also people (including myself) are reluctant to go into a place if they can't see what's available before they go into a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

We have a pie place? When did this happen!

Whats it called? Website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i walked into it today thinking it was part of the front door pub - I was very confused thinking the pub had gotten extremely small and smelled lovely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

need pics or i'll never find this place...seems a bit on the expensive side for a pie (assuming the pies aren't huge) but I will give it a go as I do like a good pie I do.

Nice one. I've been looking to fill a void since the Pasty place closed down...

do you mean the "void" of having no beef in the paste ....well okay I exaggerate - there was one piece in it. :D

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    need pics or i'll never find this place...seems a bit on the expensive side for a pie (assuming the pies aren't huge) but I will give it a go as I do like a good pie I do.

no pics, but it's just across the road from Busker Brownes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

no pics, but it's just across the road from Busker Brownes.

Oh right, any idea what space it has taken?

it used to be the Frame-makers place. a small shop - yellow with a little red painted door. They guy used to frame posters/pics, I'll miss him - does anyone know if he moved or gave up

Frame guy is now beside Claddagh Cabs or possibly Galway Taxis. My mind has gone blank for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

^ Yeah beside Galway Taxis on Lwr Dominick Street, near The Galway Arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Frame guy is now beside Claddagh Cabs or possibly Galway Taxis. My mind has gone blank for a minute.

Galway Taxis, I think , on Dominic St.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

jkforde wrote: »
    oooh, are they anything like the pies from the Pieminister van that was down at the docks during the Volvo, their blue cheese one and their veg one were well yum. here's hoping! :)

MCCambridge's has been selling those from their hot food counter for the past while. But just as the pies, not the pie & mash the stall was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

do you mean the "void" of having no beef in the paste ....well okay I exaggerate - there was one piece in it. :D

I'm guessing you never sampled the spinach, pecan and feta pasty...? Nom overload!

Many a cold winter day that place nourished fantastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Mactard wrote: »

the pies are not huge and the place does not appear to have seating. nice idea but will it last, given that other forms of exotic cuisine have not lasted. are these pies not something you could make yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

well in to page 2, has anybody actually tried one of the pies?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had one for lunch today and ate it in the store while the rain pelted down outside.

The pie was nice, I had the chiken curry pie and the fella said he has a few too many of them and would give me the pie, peas and mash for the price of just the price of a pie (for 4.95).

Their pastry is being made by a pretty good pastry chef from a bakery around the corner and they have a chef making the filling, as of right now it's a shortcrust basw and puff lid, which is the "classic" but he mentioned the chef wanted to switch to all puff, which I think is a stupid idea for a few reasons, mostly because it makes it a lot more expensive.

All in all, nice pies the mash was a bit bland, could have done with a bit of salt but nothing too bad and the peas were nice.

Lovely meal for €5, might be worth going in after 4 and seeing if you are as lucky as myself and get a discount :).

Could badly do with bar against the far wall so you could atleast stand and eat in the store or manbe a few benches.

I can see it being a nice 'neat' meal to eat outside Neachtains (on the days when one is not eating pizza!;)

Someone was also chatting to one of the workers who said they may do a gluten free pie or two if there is demand! I know a few people who would love this. They seem to be open to suggestion, I haven't been in yet but now am dying to try one.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Was in there (late) today and had a lamb pie. Was decent, nothing earth shattering, but this could be down to me getting there very late and there not being a lot of options left. The pastry was very good I thought.
    I'd imagine the fact that they've only just opened is why there isn't a counter or chairs in there yet, there's plenty of space to fit them in. Will be trying it again anyway. Friendly staff too which helps.

Latest update. Hav'nt eaten there myself but have a trusted confidant. No Menu inside either so you have to ask what they have. She got the Veg one while her family (English pie people) ordered the Beef/Guinness or whatever. Her one was in the heater thingy but they had to put the others in the oven so her one was cold by the time the rest were ready (admittedly the server may not have realised they were all together). As a previous poster said there were no shelves so they had to go down the lane across the road so eat them so it got even colder.

Roll on tonight! Same group plus me and three other random English pie lovers we had met at the show in Nuns Island (which finished at about 10.45) decided to head down for one. A young couple who were at the play who were walking behind me were also talking about checking out the place.
    Guess what? Doors closed. Presume they just thought it was quiet and closed up early not realising that we only get started after the plays finish.

Think they might need a PR/FOH person or else the place will beat JustMarys record of close downs.

As I said earlier I know the lad running it but I'm a bit too tied up myself during the silly season to give him a bollickin.

Really hope it goes well once the teething problems are sorted out (and he does more veggie options).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Don't give a dam how good the pies are! €5 is way to much. This place will go the same direction as the pasty store on Abbeygate St Upper. The price should be €2 -€2.50 for a good pie or pasty.

topcat77 wrote: »
    Don't give a dam how good the pies are! €5 is way to much. This place will go the same direction as the pasty store on Abbeygate St Upper. The price should be €2 -€2.50 for a good pie or pasty.

Aren't they that price just in a shop (frozen food or fridge) for a good pie? How much are the cold ones in Mc Cambridges.

Sure a kilo of spuds costs the same price as a bag of chips, yet people continue to pay 2.50 and up for them.

There is a price for convenience, cooking, rent. I don't think a fiver's bad (but I'll see how good it is once I try one!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Had a chowder pie today. Which was nice, pastry was noticeable. Tasty.

SAid this thread was up & asked about closing time. They said it had normally been about 3am except for Tuesday, can't remember why Tuesday.

& they'll probably be looking into something along the lines of a shelf plus stools when they get going fully.

Didn't ask if the early globe wallpaper was new for them or a hangover from the framers. Not sure if it was a good idea if it's new since the place is pretty dark & could have been brighter, but maybe that was intentional?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dont think too much

I tried the pie shop on Wednesday last, and as someone else mentioned maybe it was because I got there too late (when is early enough) at 5pm - I tried the chicken curry and my friend tried the chicken & mushroom pie. Too expensive at €5, didn't help that both were so dry, you couldn't swallow - either not well made, made too early or just unlucky. Would love to see a new business work but the product and the price need to be right. Will try again, but waiting for a month until things settle down for the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I wonder what bia devil would make of the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I wonder what bia devil would make of the place?
    He would say its great and great value like every other woeful review.

Advertisement