Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pie Shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I tried the Chicken curry and thought it was really good but at nearly €5 it will struggle unless they can bring down the price. Great opportunity for them race week if they can capitalise on the numbers of people but does not seem set up for big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm yet another person talking about the pies that hasn't had one, but anyway...

I thought the pies that Hanley's in Abbeygate street had were very filling and with a can of something included in the fiver they were charging, I thought it was fair enough. It was probably as much as I would have paid really.

The pie in this new place would have to be something special to be worth a fiver on it's own, especially with money tight all round. A pie might be a bit of a novelty for some, but it's fairly simple and it's a takeaway place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Took a minute or two to find where the place actually is from this thread...

Here it is on streetview http://goo.gl/maps/aM5A where the Framemaker used to be, next door to The Front Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I'm surprised at all the price-related comments. I didn't think a fiver was particularly steep for a good pie. In the supermarket, Pieminister pies cost €3.99 and Cully and Sully pies are €4.99.

I shared a beef and stout pie with mash and peas (€6.99, I think) at this place last week. All three elements were pretty tasty, if not earth-shattering.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I wonder what bia devil would make of the place?
    Seven thumbs up, his worst review ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Are the pies shrinking already? had a chicken curry thing this afternoon. More of a slice than a pie I'd've thought and it seemed smaller than the chowder thing I had last week.
    Hope it's not a trend. was left feeling hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

they are not that big.
    pies are not gourmet food. its peasant food that should be cheap and filling.
    i was in the place at 7pm and there were only about three pies on display. seems well stocked with drinks.

making a pie is not rocket science. They will need to be more competitive with prices if they want to survive, although the night crowd will eat anything at any price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ventured in this evening. Got a beef and Guinness stew pie, but was distracted by the pretty lass serving and I forgot to take a fork, so ended up dribbling altogether too much of the pie down my chin :(

Pastry was flakier than I would have liked, but the contents were nice.
    Seems they're open 'til 4 in the morning and doing reasonable business, and planning to get a couple of tables and chairs put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Had the beef and guinness pie. Delicious but not substantial enough to justify paying €4.80 for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I really like it, that said I think there should be a bit more filling for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Pies are nice but it is insanely expensive. Ten euro for a smallish pie, literally one small spoon of mash and half a spoon of mushy peas. If the lady working there wasn't so nice I'd seriously have considered slapping a fiver down and walking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm on fairly good terms with the owner there, so I remember asking him once 'why so pricey?', his justification was the cost of the raw material he uses, namely buying the spelt flour in bulk. Obviously it's not just the flour, as I'd imagine rent on that place wouldn't be too cheap either.

Anyway, I'm happy enough to drop a tenner on a decent feed, of something I know is of good quality, and bereft of a lot of the crap you get in pub grub, or pre-made pies.

Oh, and the seasonal Turkey pie is friggin' gorgeous by the by.

Rent can't be that much, it's a tiny premises that used to be occupied by a frame-maker - hardly a lucrative business?

Anyway if you're going to have reasonably small pies there is just no excuse for the pitiful amount of mash and peas you're serving them with. By their rates you would have to spend about €20 to actually have a feed, and that is expensive.

Somebody in this thread mentioned they have one chef making the pastry, another making the filling, and it seems another person selling them. No wonder their overheads are apparently so large.

Will have to try Massimo's pie & pint (which I believe is about a tenner also) whenever it's back.

I know you can't really justify atmosphere as a contributing factor to price, as well, but I love bringing people to the Pie shop and showing them the wall of rulers, hats hanging from the ceiling, and of course the nice handmade Judy Greene pottery plate/bowl things. That and the smell of course....

Damn, I'm hungry now... :(

I agree it's a lovely place. It's just a shame to see yet another traditionally cheap food option being peddled at extortionate prices. Too many places seem to think that as long as you're not selling cheap slop you have a license to charge through the roof for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Mmmmmmmmhhhhhh pie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Supply and demand is very simple: if you think it's too pricey, then shop elsewhere. Enough people must think its worth it, or the shop would have closed long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Supply and demand is very simple: if you think it's too pricey, then shop elsewhere. Enough people must think its worth it, or the shop would have closed long ago.

Yeah fair enough, but then again then again if they priced their stuff a bit keener they would be looking at opening a second pie shop.

I like good quality food and I like to support local trade; but as a poor student rightly or wrongly €10 for what is being described in this thread, and not really refuted, as a small meal has put me off even sampling the fare for myself.

€10 for what is being described in this thread, and not really refuted, as a small meal has put me off even sampling the fare for myself.

I wouldn't actually recommend signing off on it that easily. Portion wise, I think it's fine for the price. It's all about expectations I suppose.

Give it a whirl, you'll either never eat there again having tried something different, or you will fall madly in love with the place like I did, and bring all your friends around.

The main thing to say here is, the food is really really quite good.

Thanks for that insight. I won't be back, no. I'd also dissuade others from visiting, unless they particularly wanted a pie or something.

For a about €5-6 less two people can get a feed in Boojum that's large enough they might not even finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Antifa161 wrote: »
    I'd also dissuade others from visiting, unless they particularly wanted a pie or something.
    Read the charter, posting to discourage others isn't ok. If it's too expensive for you then just go somewhere else..
    People are different, have different tastes and financial circumstances.
    Do not post anything potentially defamatory or libellous about businesses or people. 'Free Speech' is vetoed by the welfare of Boards.ie.
    For instance do not post anti-recommendations, if you don't like a place then do not post here to let people know.
    Service/food experiences are too subjective to be reliable and frankly, we don't know you well enough to know your reasons to put a place down.
    If you have a problem with a business and need advice, please use Consumer Issues forum. If someone asks for recommendations, don't use the opportunity to mention places that have "wronged" you. Take it up with the manager instead of the internet.
    I hope we can go back to discussing tasty pies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh, and the seasonal Turkey pie is friggin' gorgeous by the by.

Must give that a go at some point ;)

As for the pricing I think that 5 for a pie isn't bad at all and I quite happily pay that, but the "meal" is more than a bit steep. It's 5 euro more than the pie for a bit of mash, peas and gravy. I wouldn't mind if it included a drink too, because that would justify the price of the meal.

I probably go in there for a coffee though more than anything, they do great coffees ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'd forgotten about this place! It's on the hitlist now, between that and corndogs tracksuits will be the january uniform at a guess. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Damn, catching up on posts...I want pie.

Everything we post has to be positive, fair enough.

Lovely pie. Great service. Nice rulers on the wall. Weather was good too. Fantastic value, very cheap. Best Galway pie shop I've ever been to.

You know, if you want an alternative, McDonagh's serve pies with chips and mushy peas for 8.99. The pies themselves only come in steak & kidney or chicken and leek variety, so you don't have the variety, but they're about twice the size of the Piemaker's and if I'm honest even tastier. O'Hehir's also do a pretty good steak & guinness pie, it's bigger and has way bigger pieces of beef than the Piemaker's. Can't remember how much it was but I think it was around the 5 euro mark give or take?

Dunno about other pies around town, but thought I'd give it a mention to show there's alternatives out there if you find the Piemaker too pricey and still fancy yourself a good pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Gourmet Tart also do nice pies and now they can heat them in store (place beside Salt House Pub), had Quiche one on Saturday was great and good price like 3.50 i think.

swe_fi wrote: »
    Gourmet Tart also do nice pies and now they can heat them in store (place beside Salt House Pub), had Quiche one on Saturday was great and good price like 3.50 i think.

Finally went to try one, and had the beef & mushroom pie, not bad at all! Though I'd love to see what one tasted fresh out of the oven instead of refridgerated and reheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

By Galway standards they've already been open quite a long time. Are they doing something right? Or are they part of a well-funded franchise?

Have yet to try, but sounds like a good, hearty lunch on a winter's day.

• Advertisement

newkie wrote: »
    Or are they part of a well-funded franchise?

Not part of any franchise at all

Advertisement