Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country fixtures winter 2012/13

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Sticking this thread for discussion of all these XC races, and any XC questions...

Date|Race|Location|Time (W/M)
    October 14|Dublin Novice Championships|Phoenix Park|1pm & 1.30pm
    October 21|Gerry Farnan (open race)|Phoenix Park|2.15pm & 3pm
    November 4|Junior Championships|Santry|1.15pm & 1.45pm
    November 4|Senior Championships|Santry|2.15pm & 3pm
    November 18|Dublin Intermediate Championships|Tymon Park|tbd
    January 13|Dublin Masters Championships|St Annes, Raheny|tbd

See attachment for the Novice course.

Juveniles are

September 16|Juvenile League|Donabate|11am
    September 30|Juvenile League|Phoenix Park|1pm
    October 14|Juvenile League|Phoenix Park|11am
    October 21|Juvenile League|Phoenix Park|11am
    October 21|Under-18 championship|Phoenix Park|1.30pm & 1.45pm
    November 4|Even Age Championships|Santry|11.30am
    November 11|Uneven Age Championships|Marlay Park|11am

The attachment shows the courses for the Phoenix Park league races on the 14th and 21st.

Looking forward to pulling on the spikes again...

edited to add -

this is the current BHAA crosscountry fixture calendar

October 13|Teachers XC|Castleknock College|11am
    December 24|Irish Life|Santry|11am

There will be more fixtures in the new year. The BHAA races should be discussed in the BHAA thread in the main forum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thanks for that Raycun. Did you get the date and venue for the even age by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yes, sorry, added now. And I've attached the distances for the juvenile races.

So are you going to run any of these yourself, or is Emily going to have all the fun? :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, sorry, added now. And I've attached the distances for the juvenile races.

So are you going to run any of these yourself, or is Emily going to have all the fun? :)

Cheers for that. I'll do a couple of the business houses for sure, don't think I'll be up to the standard for the above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I'll do a couple of the business houses for sure, don't think I'll be up to the standard for the above.

You can do Dublin novice surely? Or did you medal with boards ac?

Or did you medal with boards ac?

:D

I dunno, we'll see how trainings going but it's a good standard, the word novice is misleading.
    How bout yourself?

• Advertisement

Novice is 6.8k, and last year there were a couple of people finishing in 29.xx, and a few more in 28.xx. Faster than BHAA sure, but not too bad.

Woddle wrote: »
    :D

I dunno, we'll see how trainings going but it's a good standard, the word novice is misleading.
    How bout yourself?

Don't think I'll have much choice this year given I couldn't do it and then refused to do it last year, under pressure to start racing (and turning up to training) again. So looks like it'll be the novice for me. Yeah, novice is misleading alright but I'm sure the ladies novice course is short based on the times some people did last year. :pac:

It's about 3k, isn't it?

It's about 3k, isn't it?

A bit under I'd say, but yeah, meant to be 3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Novice is 6.8k, and last year there were a couple of people finishing in 29.xx, and a few more in 28.xx. Faster than BHAA sure, but not too bad.

Wouldnt base off time. The novice is actually always shorter than this. The joy of XC is that dont get crucified for a short course:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Hi,

Done some hill racing (IMRA) over the summer and love it. Have a dodgy knee so tend to keep off the tarmac. Just wondering what the story is with cross-country?

Would I be able to turn up and take part in races?
    What sort of footwear would I need (I have trail runners for the hill running).
    Are there different levels of races?

Paul.

The championship races in the first set above are AAI races. You need to be a member of a club (and AAI) to run in them.
    The Gerry Farnan XC is open to all.
    The BHAA races are open to everyone. 10 euro for members, 15 euro to non-members (membership is 15 euro for the year)

The standard in the AAI races is higher than in the BHAA races.

Footwear depends on the conditions. Some people just wear normal road runners, and trail runners would be an improvement on them, but the wetter and muddier it is the more grip you want and the more advantage you get from spikes.

(the voice of 6 XC races experience here :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2 claracsar

Just wondering, if you progressed out of both novice and intermediate in 1995 and have not competed since can you be regraded and do both again.

claracsar wrote: »
    Just wondering, if you progressed out of both novice and intermediate in 1995 and have not competed since can you be regraded and do both again.

Think you have to approach the county board regarding being regraded AFAIK

There is a form you can use to apply for regrading
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/application-for-re-grading.pdf

otherwise there is no time limit on the move out of novice standard. Once you're out, you're out.

(I'm not an expert, contact the county board to be sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

The first set of races above, the championships and Gerry Farnan, are AAI races. You need to be a member of a club (and AAI) to run in them.
    The BHAA races are open to everyone. 10 euro for members, 15 euro to non-members (membership is 15 euro for the year)

The standard in the AAI races is higher than in the BHAA races.

Footwear depends on the conditions. Some people just wear normal road runners, and trail runners would be an improvement on them, but the wetter and muddier it is the more grip you want and the more advantage you get from spikes.

(the voice of 6 XC races experience here :))

Thanks for that. I'll keep my eye out for BHAA races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 claracsar

Thanks.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Anyone any idea about how to go about entering the Gerry Farnan XC?
    Also, to be eligible for the Masters Trials, is there anything extra that you need to do.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea about how to go about entering the Gerry Farnan XC?
    Also, to be eligible for the Masters Trials, is there anything extra that you need to do.

Can't findn any details of the 2012 race yet, but last year it seems to have been open entry through MSBAC

Dublin Athletics Board has entry details up for the Novices but not the Intermediates yet, you might just have to wait a few weeks before entries open?

Has anyone run (or watched) the Dublin Masters XC? How does the standard compare to the other Dublin XC races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Trying to remember, but if your club is registered outside of Dublin, can you still run Dublin XC?

I was just reading through this old thread about the Boards AC XC team...

I think you were allowed to run the Dublins last time because Boards AC was Dublin-registered, but now you have to feck off to Wicklow :) Roundwood on October 7th?

I was just reading through this old thread about the Boards AC XC team...

I think you were allowed to run the Dublins last time because Boards AC was Dublin-registered, but now you have to feck off to Wicklow :) Roundwood on October 7th?
    I looked back at a previous set of results, and it certainly seems to be the case. Oh well.. I'll see you in the Leinsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Trying to remember, but if your club is registered outside of Dublin, can you still run Dublin XC?

Some counties allow guests, wearing a 'G' front and back, you would need someone from the Dublin County Board to confirm that though.

P.S - there's some real XC courses in Wickla

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Some counties allow guests, wearing a 'G' front and back, you would need someone from the Dublin County Board to confirm that though.
    'G' for 'Gary'? That's all very personal! Looking forward to the Wiklaw XC. Just thinking of a raiding party into the big schmoke. Not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Has anyone run (or watched) the Dublin Masters XC? How does the standard compare to the other Dublin XC races?

Hi . I have run it on couple of occasions. Obviously, it is significantly lower standard than the Seniors. Maybe just the top 4 or 5 masters might make top 50 in Seniors. The same top 4 or 5 would make top 15 or so in BHAA XC races I'd say. That's based on Masters being O40 upwards, but if O35 is included, obviously standard will be higher.
    The field gets strung out a lot more than in the Seniors, i.e. there is greater difference between the faster and slower end of the field, partly due to the spread of age categories.

<Circles date on calendar>
    :pac:

Some info for anyone interested

Few open XC races coming up are:

23rd Sept - Star of The Sea XC - Meath
    http://www.runireland.com/events/star-sea-c-c

30th Sept - Liz McDonnell 5k XC - Celbridge
    http://www.runireland.com/events/liz-mcdonnell-run-0

7th Oct - MT Motors Dungarvan 5m XC - Waterford
    http://www.runireland.com/events/mt-motors-dungarvan-5m-cc

Also AFAIK the Dublin Novice has changed the minimum age to 19 on the day of competition from the previous age of 18

Is Gerry Farnan an open race or club runners only?

edit: Just read Ray's opening post again where it said Gerry Farnan is AAI, are ye sure it is? Pretty sure I was looking into it before joining a club and was going to register, a piece from last year says something about it giving 'joggers' the opportunity to do the munich lap. Asked one of the girls in the club yesterday and she wasn't sure either...

• Advertisement

Is Gerry Farnan an open race or club runners only?

I'm not sure now... they were giving out flyers after Rathfarnham which I wouldn't expect from a closed race. Seems to be MSB organising it, maybe give them a shout?

Advertisement