Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country fixtures winter 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

cheers guys, anyone know where national novice is on this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Novice is on in Adamstown Co Wexford
    Sunday 9th December

Never ran that course so no idea what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

brutes1 wrote: »
    Novice is on in Adamstown Co Wexford
    Sunday 9th December

Never ran that course so no idea what its like

I have run it a few times; it's pretty flat and fast - drains pretty well except for one spot which can get a bit sticky after a few underage races...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great race on this weekend for anyone not running the Intermediate!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779494

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Results from Dublin Intermediate up on Dublin Athletics website. Had to miss this myself due to being sick, very disappointed. :( Didn't have our strong runners out today and did dreadful. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Claralara with a top 10 finish, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭flying_scotsman

White Nike running jacket was left with our (Liffey Valley) pile of gear next to start line at Dublin Intermediate XC in Tymon Park on Sunday. PM me if it's yours!

what's the story?
    any entrance requirements?
    how crazy a race is it?

and another question, for the juvenile races this time -
    can kids run 'up' an age at the nationals? Can an under-12 run in the under-13s, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

RayCun wrote: »
    what's the story?
    any entrance requirements?
    how crazy a race is it?
    This is a very competitive race, as a 36 min 10k runner I twice finished outside 100. After improving to 32 plus for 10k I finished 9 10 and 13. It usualy won by realy good young lads on their way to great things. Usualy run on good surface, 6000m with a realy hectic start which burns off one paced sloggers like myself. If your strong you can hold on and pick off a good placing. Its very like 3000 on the track,that kind of hold on tight or die feel about it. A great race to be involved in. Think if you have ever won a national medal, road track or country team or individual you are ineligible.Hope this is helpfull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Crazy would be the word for it Ray, I don't think I've ever finished outside the top100 in a race, even in the likes of the Great Ireland run with 10000 etc in it, however I got dragged down to the national novice last year in the Curragh (which was also prb the coldest day of the year for anyone who remembers it), I was told its only 6k, will be grand, but I wasn't in xc shape at all then! There was 250 in my race, which is by far the biggest XC field I've been in, the 1st few corners were mucky enough, so everyone rocketed off to try get a clean run at it! I held back from the madness, but as Ultrapercy says, its very 3k track alike, so I wasn't at the races at all! Made up a decent few places during the race, but still only came home in 130th or so, worst result ever ha!
    whole day ends up being taken up for a 16 minute race...

Awwwe only 16mins, wanto swap with the Mens for our 10k :P. Why do I do this to myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

and another question, for the juvenile races this time -
    can kids run 'up' an age at the nationals? Can an under-12 run in the under-13s, etc?

Yes, see page 36 of this:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/juv-booklet-_final_-__2_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ultrapercy wrote: »
    This is a very competitive race, as a 36 min 10k runner I twice finished outside 100. After improving to 32 plus for 10k I finished 9 10 and 13. It usualy won by realy good young lads on their way to great things. Usualy run on good surface, 6000m with a realy hectic start which burns off one paced sloggers like myself. If your strong you can hold on and pick off a good placing. Its very like 3000 on the track,that kind of hold on tight or die feel about it. A great race to be involved in. Think if you have ever won a national medal, road track or country team or individual you are ineligible.Hope this is helpfull.

+ 1 on all the above,
    As far as i know it's if you were on a winning team (gold medal) on any of the above your ineligible, so all of you who have won a team silver or bronze in the National 10k can still run:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Their were hitting 5 minutes a mile pace in that race. Was one for the speed merchants with Eoin Everard winning.

It's so nice of you all to think I'm worried about being ineligible because of the medals I've won, or concerned about a top 10 finish :pac:
    Look for me at the other end of the field :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

:D

+1 to that.. This race was my introduction to xc, in Ballyhaise Cavan a few years back. It's a wonder that I never ran xc again after it! :D
    Course was in a cattle field, with an incline on each lap. Conditions underfoot were of the frozen cow-pat / mudpile variety. Oh, and it p!ssed rain in time for our race. I finished in the 30's, and only years after realise that it was a decent result. Sadly I'm no longer eligible ;) .
    It's a rite of passage... highly recommended for all ages! :D

National Novices this Sunday, are there many takers ,very few from the West making the trip I am afraid. hard to see as big a field as The Curragh last year, great race with 250 plus in it...Im sure some young lads will turn up and burn off the field as Everard did last yr...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

National Novices this Sunday, are there many takers ,very few from the West making the trip I am afraid. hard to see as big a field as The Curragh last year, great race with 250 plus in it...Im sure some young lads will turn up and burn off the field as Everard did last yr...

Who be the favorite?

One of the Antrim Boys from the Intercounties? One of the top ten from the Novice last year?

Heading to this myself, I don't know why as not in the best of shape at the moment, and probably will be one of the oldest in the field ;).
    But someone have to make up the numbers.

As for picking a winner, and might have a better chance of winning the lotto

Are you heading there yourself?

I'm in (for a hiding)

• Advertisement

I'm in (for a hiding)
    HA HA you and me both.:D

Anyone got any idea of the course, i'm suspecting a mud bath

here you go
    http://www.wexfordathletics.com/images/easyblog_images/690/Adamstown-Course-Summary.pdf
    There's a dozen races on before the Novice Men, so yeah, mudbath...

Thanks for that, seems like a well planned event.
    Have ye a club team and county team entered?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm in (for a hiding)

:eek:

but it's outside Dublin

Ceepo wrote: »
    Thanks for that, seems like a well planned event.
    Have ye a club team and county team entered?

Last minute club team, because someone has to come last :)

but it's outside Dublin

The boy is running in the under-11s - I'm ****ed if I'm driving all the way down to Wexford and not racing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I ran 23.30 for the BHAA Irish Life Cross Country...this was my first cross country so I've nothing to compare it to......

If I was to do the Novice race in Adamstown, would that sort of time put me in the last 10% in the race.....wouldnt fancy that, but I do have an opportunity to do the race.

Both races @ 6k......

Tks.

Last 10-15% is my guess. You can race me :)

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I ran 23.30 for the BHAA Irish Life Cross Country...this was my first cross country so I've nothing to compare it to......

If I was to do the Novice race in Adamstown, would that sort of time put me in the last 10% in the race.....wouldnt fancy that, but I do have an opportunity to do the race.

Both races @ 6k......

Tks.
    Thanks very hard to answer that Tombo as every xc race us different, but I'd say would would not be in the last 10%.
    Times count for nothing imo in xc maybe only in relation to winning time or others around you but because you ran 23.30 for the last 6k it would have bearing on your next xc as there are so many variables to deal with, hills, ground conditions etc.,
    I wouldn't be let that put you off from going as it's one on the best xc races on the calendar.

If you have the opportunity to run it, then go for it

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Both races @ 6k......

Tks.

about halfway or better i reckon based on last year or two , which is a good result
    great race mad start and hang on for dear life after that.

Theres a few eligible from top 30 intercounties , Sanchez from Sligo is a top runner think he is eligible plus a few Dubs. Could get an 800/1500 m runner from anywhere though who would win if he had some stamina work done as per last years winner...

• Advertisement

In the Dublin novices, 23.30 was more or less 80th of 100.
    The Wexford course might be easier, but there'll be more fast runners there.
    But as Ceepo says, don't let it put you off. It's not like you'll be trailing in after everyone else.

Advertisement