Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 divisional round results

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭

Lost to the Bills 33-7. Everything that could've potentially gone wrong did. That's it for this season, and I don't know if I'll bother buying the next game (I only bought this one after the NFL season ended). Dave I got the jist of your words of encouragement at the end but the sound was way down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

The Bengals came off a solid victory in the wildcard round looking for revenge against the AFC West champion Raiders, however they were to be disappointed by the BFL seeding commission, who had ratings in mind (and maybe a word or two from a moderator) when they scheduled the Divisional round to keep the Jets and Bills apart.
    This left the injury-depleted Bengals with an uphill struggle against Berty's Jets. They lost the toss and were forced to receive, knowing they would need to score on every drive just to stay alive in this one...

Bengals go three and out, look at 4th & 1 on their own 40 but decide that discretion is the better part of valour and punt, beautiful ROG like bounce into the corner and Jets take over at own 2yd line. No matter, as they methodically work their way up the field and Plaxico does his thing and plucks an uncontested pass out of the air from 12yds as the defender watches on not even bothering to contest.
    7-0 NYJ

Bengals get the ball and go on ground and pound drive of their own running the ball effectively, with Lawrence Vickers finishing it off from 2yds.
    7-7

Jets get ball back and move up the field easily again, this time RIdley getting around the edge to finish off a 3yd TD.
    14-7 NYJ

Bengals have to settle for FG as Newton and offense fail to get it done next drive.
    14-10 NYJ

With 0:51 left the Bengals jus need to let the clock run out. But on a simple hook route, Thomas turns catches and somehow his DB runs away from him... he runs forward astonished to see open field ahead and keeps going for an 83yd score.
    21-10 NYJ

0:37 left and Cam Newton knows he needs to do something miraculous, so he throws up a long bomb towards Alexander... Revis knocks it down.... into the waiting arms of Alexander who gratefully falls on a 60yd reception.
    A couple of plays later and Bengals on the goal line with 0:16 left with all timeouts gone.
    Best runs it, and is stuffed.
    Time is ticking and just before the 0:01 ticks over Newton snaps the ball and hands off to Best again who slips in from 4yds.
    Half-time: 21-17 NYJ
    TE Dustin Keller injured at some point during all this and had to come off.

Bengals kick off to Jets, and after a sack on 2nd down Rodgers faces 3rd & 20. Can't quite make it and the Bengals sniff blood as punt comes back.
    This is the chance.
    They of course fail to take it, having to punt away again.
    Jets get ball back and return to business as usual. Up the field, running well with Gore and Ridley.
    Gore looks to pound it in from close range... FUMBLE!!.... but OL Cherilus falls on it in the endzone for a TD.
    28-17 NYJ

Bengals get ball back and drive up the field, Jahvid Best continuing his good form before leavinf Michael Turner run it in from 2yds.
    28-24 NYJ

Bengals need a stop, desperately. Don't get it. Gore rips off a 66yd TD run to start 4th quarter.
    35-24 NYJ

Bengals move up field and get into redzone.
    Newton thinks he sees Garcon open fade toward the corner of endzone, so he throws it -on his inside shoulder - right where the defender can jump it and Spencer gratefully accepts and runs the INT return all the way to Bengals redzone.
    Few plays later, Pearson runs in from 3yds.
    42-24 NYJ

7:07 left, looks like game over.
    Bengals try desperately to get something going. Cam Newton faces a 4th & 20-something, sends everyone deep and rips off a run as he mashes a DB at the first down marker for a 45yd gain.
    Eventually finds Alexander on a short pass for a TD.
    42-31 NYJ

Bengals have a slim, slim, slim chance as the go for onside kick with 4:01 left. Gets called for a penalty. Jets ball.
    FG from Jets, desperation throwing from Bengals, Jets kneel it out.
    Final Score: 45-31 NYJ

Need to be almost perfect to beat Berty, and as usual, wasn't.
    Enjoyable game nonetheless and always a good chat.

So hard to stop Jets offense from doing whatever they want.
    Rodgers 12/14 for 258yds
    Cam had 1 more completion, but 9 more attempts.
    INT killed me but was bound to happen after a few near misses earlier in the game.

Good luck in the AFC Championship, and either way will be rooting for an AFC winner of the Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

On a separate note, really looking forward Madden 13.

Disappointed not to keep playing with team I built in M12 but really looking forward to Connected Careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Great write up Rob. There was really very little in it for most of the game. The fumble recovery for a TD was huge as was the big Jet TD before the half. Had Bengals got the lead at any stage it could have been different but Jets just about stayed ahead. It will be different for M13 when I will be suffering from a weaker team !!

Great chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

The Bills win the coin toss and kick off

Oakland come out in shotgun . Deangelo Bell takes the ball and runs it 80 yards for a touchdown on the first play ! 0-7 Raiders ! What a start for the bad boys of the BFL. The rest of the 1st quarter was a punting fest. With the Raiders D-line smothering the Bills rushing attack.

However an ineffective passing attack from Matt Hill was forcing his defense to stay on the field . This when Buffalo's running attack took over. Marshawn lynch powering past the defensive tackles and following the most elite of elite full backs in Vonta Leach. Leach made Timmons his play thing for much of the game. Leach and Lynch ran in on touchdowns from one yard out and 2 yards out respectfully to make it 14-7 Janikowski added a 52 yard field goal to make it a 2 score game at the half.

Buffalo's opening drive looks to be in danger on a 3rd and medium but Vincent Jackson steps up to catch a crucial completion. Then Danny Woodhead is sent on a passing route which goes for 55 yards and is stopped on the 1 yard line. Lawrence Timmons Daddy .. aka Vonta Leach runs it in for another 1 yard touchdown. 24-7 to the Bills !

Oaklands hopes of a comeback are dented when Cody Morris rookie defensive tackle for the Bills decides to crush raiders QB Matt Hill's sternum taking him out of the game. Greg Olsen just can't seem to get anything going perhaps because he's being double or triple covered . However the Raiders feel he's there savior regardless. The savior is holding the clip board and being a good back up QB on the Bills sideline.

The Raiders are able to stop the Bills offense in the 3rd quarter but the the bills punt to force them on there own 6 yard line. Back up Raiders QB Nathan Enderle however takes to long in the pocket and is sacked in the endzone ! Safety ! 26-7 Bills !

After some more punting . The Bills have a third and short on the Raiders 24 yard line. Danny Woodhead brings it all the way for a touchdown . While he leaves the Raiders defensive players in the back field you can see Vonta Leach helping Lawrence Timmons off the turf after yet another perfect block. 33-7 Bills.

The Bills manage the clock and force the raiders to punt and to fail on 4th and something. The Raiders have given up after potential MVP Hill is left gasping on the sideline. Final score 33-7

Key Stats of the game

First downs - Bills : 15 Raiders : 4
    3rd downs- Bills 7-13 (54%) Raiders: 1-10 (10%)
    Time of Possession - 31:29 Raiders : 8:31

The wind in the coliseum didn't help ya out Matthew. Those deep balls to knox just couldnt work.

If we used aggregate over the two games between the Bills and the Raiders you would have won 105-53

One last thing...

I hope I meet you in the play offs. The term that comes to mind is One and done .

Nobody runs up the score on my Bills and gets away with it :cool: The BFL has been warned :pac:

Banter aside you had a great season and got yourself a two seed, you put up some excellent numbers and i certaintly was proved wrong saying your trades were ridiculous( I still think you could have got more value from your trades :pac: ) If you developed your play book on offense you would be very difficult to beat. But if you keeping coming out in the same 4 offense plays your going to struggle to keep winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If you developed your play book on offense you would be very difficult to beat. But if you keeping coming out in the same 4 offense plays your going to struggle to keep winning.

Be careful what you wish for. This was the first game I've played in which someone actually covered the TE. I wasn't ready. The current offense will be completely scrapped if I do get the game next year, and a new one installed.

I'm still baffled as to how my safety lost a jump ball to Danny Woodhead, and how Johnny Knox seemed to be blind for the whole game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

matthew8 wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for. This was the first game I've played in which someone actually covered the TE.

I would welcome you developing a playbook that had me guessing. Ask Santry/Berty/Etloveslsd/Raoul (Probably played these guys the most ) . Defense is where i win games. I try and guess whats happening. Look at berty he comes on in different offensive schemes and i have to double bluff him sometimes.

Santry the same sometimes i only know the area he's looking to target. So i run a play that only stops that area but I would be burnt if he passed somewhere else.

Its not as satisfying defending the same passing play over and over again.
    matthew8 wrote: »
    I'm still baffled as to how my safety lost a jump ball to Danny Woodhead, and how Johnny Knox seemed to be blind for the whole game.

Was an excellent catch from Woodhead but your right it could have been an interception or a touchdown or an incomplete pass.

Johnny Knox passes. You have to play the conditions with a 12 mph win your not going to get an accurate 70+ yard pass ever. Maybe if you have Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's very easy to diversify your game when playing Berty forces you to do so. This was the first time I actually faced someone who could cover deep routes. I think next year's offense will be more talented anyway if I pick the Raiders (which I probably will, as I've looked through every team and only the Raiders are good to go for me without any trades). A RB who can catch is huge. Next year I will be unpredictable. Half the routes will probably be hot routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Lions at Giants

Giants win the toss and elect to kick.

Lions have it on their own 18 yard line. The Lions set up with 4 WRs and notice that there is a chance for a deep pass so audible. After 14 seconds with a 82 yard pass to Devin Aromashodu, the Lions lead 7-0.

The Giants receive and have a drive to just inside their own half. Running quite well but failing to get the passing going with a dropped pass to WR Little. Brees has also avoided getting the sack by a nice sidestep but eventually forced to punt (possibly the Giants most effective aspect of their game). It goes out at the one yard line.

Lions 2nd play of the game, they notice that the Giants are bringing a huge blitz, audible to a quick pass and get it to Cotchery on the slant who manages to go the whole 99 yards to make it 14-0 after 7:40minutes

Giants have a drive which results in their first fumble of the game. The favour is then returned by the Lions who throw an interception. Giants forced to punt and put the Lions on the 2 yard Lion. A good play from the Giants D as they fake bringing a big blitz. Lions try another quick pass but Flacco gets sacked. 14-2 - Apart from two huge plays the game has been quite dull - End of first quarter.

In the second quarter, there isn't too many notable plays until inside the two minute warning where the Giants have a great drive which goes to the inside the oppositions 20 but unfortunately ends in an interception and the Lions making two deep passes for big gains but forced to settle for a field goal with 16 seconds left. - End of Half. 17 -2

Third quarter sees much of the same from the Giants offense, Drew Brees showing good pocket awareness, avoiding sacks but unfortunately his passing has been slightly inaccurate and his receivers seem not to want to hold on to the ball with a fumble in this quarter. The Giants running game has looked good all match but the reciever core has let the team down when looking for that little bit of extra yardage.

Lions have one solid drive which ends in a 42 yard pass to DeSean Jackson after he tears away from the CB and makes a great catch in the endzone to bring the game to 24-2 going into the 4th quarter.

Lions have a lot of possession in the 4th quarter and run the ball a significant amount while running down the clock. Giants once again finding it hard to get anything going on offence with another drive ending with an interception from a lackluster Brees.

Lions run down the clock further and end with a field goal to bring the score to 27-2.

Giants with their most confident drive of the whole game pass it swiftly down the field and with 4 minutes left Mercedes Lewis decides to contribute something and catches a Drew Brees 8 yard dart between middle zone coverages to give the Giants perhaps a sliver of hope 27-9.

Onside kick recovered by Lions and a field goal scored. 30-9 2:40 left.

The final drive of the game sums the Giants day up. Long drive almost inside the oppositions red zone. FUMBLE! That's it game over. 30-9

Lions advance to play either the Packers or the Buccaneers. I am hoping Packers so that I can get some revenge for the amount of times he has caused me to not make the playoffs/beat me in the playoffs. Good game ET, you were very unlucky that I got some big plays and you had a lot of fumbles/interceptions that didn't help. Hope to see you in Madden 13 and we still have to play our BPL game. Look forward to it.

Advertisement