Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird to go to the cinema by yourself?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No because I'm not so ridiculously self conscious and insecure that I need somebody to hold my hand 24/7.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Of course it's grand. Sometimes you can't get someone to go to a specific showing and you shouldn't miss out on it.

Sure it's nice to experience with someone else but watching a film a solitary act anyway. I opted out Of the 4am TDKR showing because I didn't want to wait in the cold by myself. That and it was 4am lol

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

No problem going solo to movies. Watching a film is a solitary act anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also just in case Fred Willard or that old man watching Cosmopolis in the IFI are reading: yes, it is weird to masturbate in the cinema if you're on your own. Don't do that and everything's kosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I always go to the cinema on my own, I find other people a distraction. :rolleyes:
    I think it's a lot sadder if you need to have your hand held as you're too insecure to go on your own. Loads of people go on their own. No one cares. And if anyone does, does a stranger's opinion of you really matter?

As a previous poster said, the real freaks are talkers and texters, people with no attention spans at all. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Also just in case Fred Willard or that old man watching Cosmopolis in the IFI are reading: yes, it is weird to masturbate in the cinema if you're on your own. Don't do that and everything's kosher.

It'd be weirder if they went in groups to masturbate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Haven't ever gone on my own yet but its something I would have no problem with if nobody else was going. Its a 30-40 minute drive so I tend to go with someone. I cant say I really notice if people are on their own or in a group and I wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Last film I went to see with another person was Senna, and that was quite a while ago. I much rather going by myself so I don't have a phone screen lighting up beside me, or someone trying to knick my popcorn :mad:

While I have no problems going with others (bar the food theft :p), I find I often enjoy a film more by myself. Went on my own on Friday morning, heading in again early afternoon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I haven't gone to the cinema on my own yet but I have gone away and sat somewhere else. Did so for the Dark knight rises, friend sat in the very front so I went off searching for a seat and got a great one dead centre of the screen! :)

I'd have no problem going on my own if it I really wanted to see a movie none of my friends did.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd end up going to most films alone as going with the other half would necessitate a babysitter which could often put the cost of a night at the movies into ridiculous territory.

• Advertisement

Nice to see that you're not one of those couples that uses the cinema as a babysitting service and brings a screaming child in with them! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll bring the kids to weekend matinees (that's what they're really there for after all) but an evening show? Not til they're a lot older!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'll bring the kids to weekend matinees (that's what they're really there for after all) but an evening show? Not til they're a lot older!

THANK YOU!

Sleepy wrote: »

I don't mean kids mornings obviously or parent and child screenings. I mean evening screenings or really any screening that's not the above. ;)
    Oh this country would be such a nicer place if everyone had your sense of responsibility! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

My gf likes the cinema but not as much as I do so I often go by myself. Nothing weird about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

No, it's not weird in itself (doesn't mean you're not weird though :P). If I go alone it's usually to the IFI, Lighthouse, Screen, or Savoy, since deep down I really hate Cineworld and its airport aesthetics, refusal to let patrons move freely up and down stairs, and ****ty location in crap part of town away from almost anything remotely good (Chapters excepted). I prefer to be able to get something to eat and/or have a coffee and read a book while I wait. Can do that on O'Connell St or in the IFI...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i like going with someone else, its nice to talk about a film with a friend when its fresh in your heads,

but as others have pointed out, people have varying tastes in films, i would often ask people if they want to go see certain films, and if it so happens they don't want to see a film and i really want to see it then ill go by myself, i don't see anything wrong with it, i often don't notice how many people go by themselves until im walking into a screen by myself,

also i tend to go by myself in the afternoon which saves a few quid, if buddies are working or anything its often an evening show,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kinski wrote: »
    I prefer to be able to get something to eat and/or have a coffee and read a book while I wait. Can do that on O'Connell St or in the IFI...
    So long as you go during the day the Cineworld bar is a good quiet spot to do that. I do it quite frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Not in the slightest! It used to bother me but not anymore, its more pathetic to miss a film u really wanted to see because u were too embarrassed to be seen by yourself! Nobody pays any attention to others and anyway once the film starts every1 shuts up! I go to a lot of film festivals and see loads of the screenings by myself, half the people in there do the same! Anyone who gives u a strange look is just immature and obviously lacks enough self confidence to do it themselves, so I would say go for it! and enjoy the film! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

As nice as it is to have someone to discuss the film with afterward, more often than not my friends aren't interested in seeing the same films as me, so I quickly got used to going to the cinema by myself. Its a darkened theatre and you're paying attention to the screen.... no judgement there! Eating by myself on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I went to to see TDKR at 10:30 this morning on my own. When my girlfriends 16 year old sister heard this she laughed and called me a weirdo, to which I replied " so I assume you never watch tv on your own". If you need friends to hold your hand to go to the cinema you have issues IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I went to to see TDKR at 10:30 this morning on my own. When my girlfriends 16 year old sister heard this she laughed and called me a weirdo, to which I replied " so I assume you never watch tv on your own". If you need friends to hold your hand to go to the cinema you have issues IMO.

as mentioned before, teenagers would think it weird cus it would make them a billy no mates if their school buddies heard about it. Normal folk wouldnt give a toss, i do it alot when i'm away with work. Already seen Spider-man, Star Trek 25th Ani and Batman in the last 2 weeks..:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Went on my own to see the dark knight rises. The last time I went to see a film on my own was first year in college (Amazing Grace) - that was a six years ago. Will definately do it again. I like Nolan's batman films and I thought the Dark Knight Rises was a very entertaining blockbuster with a real heart running throughout (Of course there were some plot holes, but thats to be expected with a hollywood blockbuster)

I think I might start going to see some other films on my own, some of the more 'risque' types that I wouldn't be able to gather people to go see. A very worthwhile experience.

Can't beat watching a movie in the cinema either IMO, you're forced to sit through the whole thing and can't start rifling through your emails or start sending texts etc. The big screen really makes a blockbuster worth watching as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Kids today will label anything beyond casual sportswear weird so I wouldn't worry about it. long as you don't have an axe to grind.. I do have an acquantance, who does this n he was in lomans for a time but how n ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've never been to the cinema on my own, the friends I go with have the right attitude; no phones, no chat. I quite enjoy the post-movie discussion as well, it's all part of the social cinema experience.

At the same time, I wouldn't consider going to the cinema on your own weird. I'd certainly do it if I had a Cineworld style facility available to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I personally don't enjoy the cinema alone - Thats not to say I find it weird or that people who go alone are weird.

Movies for me have been so far relegated in my entertainment list that I barely watch television nevermind movies (DvDs, Net or Cinema), so cinema to me is something I need to be encouraged to go to and see it as a decent excuse to go somewhere with someone or a group as opposed to an opportunity for me to 'enjoy a movie'. If I want to see a movie I'd probably be more inclined to watch it at home.

I don't think I've ever once been to the cinema by myself - I've always had, along my years of growing up, either a family member, a date or a friend (Or group of friends) with me so I suppose that adds to it, too - I don't see why I'd bother going alone. Our TV and surround sound is big enough and phat enough as it is on that absolutely blue-moon occasion where I'd bother to see a film :p

*shrug*

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Infairness, I wouldn't go by myself, but I am 17...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Galvasean wrote: »
    20 bucks per month (but you have to subscribe for a year).
    +10% discount in Woolshed Bar, woooo!!!!! :D

Buy it on the UK website and just enter BT11AA as the postcode.Saves €10 (Current Exchange rate, I saved more last year). Also why did nobody tell me about the 10% Discount in the woolshed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Buy it on the UK website and just enter BT11AA as the postcode.Saves €10 (Current Exchange rate, I saved more last year). Also why did nobody tell me about the 10% Discount in the woolshed :mad:
    ****ing dubs, ye get everything:mad::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ape X wrote: »
    Heh, I've gone to Pixar movies on my own :pac:

Your not a skinny guy in your early 60's are you? :)

Such a person was at either Toy Story 3 or UP in Dundrum (was at both, cant remember which it was) . Looked odd and shifty.HAd a kind of snorkel jacket on too.

Advertisement