Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red jacket

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Been watching it for ages new episodes on Monday's at 10 on discovery
    Some of the guns they have is unreal and they do a lot of upgrades on rifles but never show the prices of the upgrades

What would it cost for upgrading a rifle to a higher calibre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Some of the guns they have is unreal and they do a lot of upgrades on rifles but never show the prices of the upgrades

Depends what you want to go from or to. obviously you can't do anything outside your own action size, and it depends on the rifle you're looking to work on too, whether you could open the bolt face and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Fergal White would be the best lad to ask about changing a rifle to a higher caliber. I got him to upgrade my old tikka .223 to a .243 earlier this year. The job involved a rebarrel, and widening the bolt face to take the bigger case. I'm not going to put up what it cost because i dont think he'd like me giving out his prices online, all I'll say is that it'll depend on what kind of hardware you want to put on your rifle. If you do decide to do it you won't be sorry, the new custom rifle I'm using is seriously accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You wouldn't get any of those Loons in Red Jacket to upgrade a anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

You wouldn't get any of those Loons in Red Jacket to upgrade a anything for you.

IMO that guy Vince should not be let near a gun, maybe he is acting up but as the americans would say he comes across as being close to going postal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

IMO that guy Vince should not be let near a gun, maybe he is acting up but as the americans would say he comes across as being close to going postal.

More likely Id say hes sick of there sh!t ! Have you ever watched the expressions on his face when will comes out with his retarded Ideas ?

Take for example the episode where will wanted a demilled mortar tube recommissioned..... thats insane to think about doing especially since the plug is what is considered as the gun part (in this case Destructive Device) and the actual mortar tube is considered a tube !

One of the better 1s I think was the gatling shotgun that they were to make. They have a CNC mill worth a couple of grand, a gun designed had spent years there developing perfecting a design and they think that they can make it in a week or 2 with no R&D.... if you havent seen in watch it to see the hick half arsed attempt at what come up with.

These 2 instances (among others) couples with giving that annoying muppet whos riding his daughter the lead on the AR build would be enough to drive anyone mad !

He is 1 of the guys that makes that show if you ask me... but I do have the american bull that they attach to the show.

GH

• Advertisement

I can't wait to see what Vince comes up with for his new sand proof M4 that he's building for the security contractors 'on our nations nuclear facilities in the desert', thats going to be some ball of ****e.

They should give them AK's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Vince is a great gunsmith I can understand why he gets frustrated with that Idiot kris always asking him to help him
    He went to gunsmith school and qualified yet is askin him how to fix the AR cuz it wasn't loading
    Vince found the part straight away!!
    Something must've happened along the way in the series as vince isn't in the 4th season

Ps you'd bang stefanie if ya got the chance too :)

Your taste is up your hole!:rolleyes: she's got a head the same shape as the Sam Maguire cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Vince has set up his own company Mesa Kinetic Research, don't blame the man...from what you could tell from the show he was just pissed with being overlooked for projects etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Vince is a great gunsmith I can understand why he gets frustrated with that Idiot kris always asking him to help him
    He went to gunsmith school and qualified yet is askin him how to fix the AR cuz it wasn't loading
    Vince found the part straight away!!
    Something must've happened along the way in the series as vince isn't in the 4th season

Ask google and you shall recieve haha. Ill also tell you about the spot of bother that Red jacket got into with the ATF.

Your taste is up your hole!:rolleyes: she's got a head the same shape as the Sam Maguire cup.

Agreed.... last time I saw a head like that it was eating grass :P

GH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You cant really blame vince for going mad most of the time. Will treats all his workers like complete idiots and is a ar$ehole to work for..

Will and steph also no longer have gun making licences
    According to TMZ.com, during a routine inspection by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) in 2009, Red Jacket could not account for ten registered guns. In a settlement, William Hayden and Stephanie Hayden surrendered their gun-making licenses and were allowed to choose a licensed individual to control Red Jacket. Initially, that person was Vincent Buckles, but Buckles has left the company and now two other individuals control the company.
    In a WBRZ article, Attorney Craig Davidson, Jr., said that 10 guns did not go missing from the shop. Instead, one or two guns were stolen during 2001–2008. Davidson claimed the rest of the missing guns were receivers that were thrown away or destroyed when gunsmiths made mistakes. Although Davidson characterized the lost weapons as "simple bookkeeping errors", the ATF requires serial numbered parts to be tracked. Will and Stephanie Hayden did not keep track, so, according to Davidson, Hayden and the ATF mutually agreed to shut down Red Jacket, Inc. The WBRZ article is silent about Will and Stephanie Hayden surrendering any federal firearms licenses.

Vince leaving
    Vince left after the Vegas AR build where be basically built the AR after Chris failed to get it firing with the AK system in it. He sent it off with the wrong buffer in it though and the packaging got damaged in the post and all the blame was put on Vince so he walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I think vince is a good gunsmith, he knows his **** and i wouldnt blame him for leaving because of how they are treated. If my boss spoke to me the way the fat sack talks to them lads he would be on his back.

That other fella joe who does all the cnc work and makes the bombs is someone i would not want to get on the bad side of, he is like an evil genious!

Dodder, looks like your on your own lad because that head would be right at home stuck over your fireplace!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are a few factors.

One is the work that is needed to be done. A simple rebarrel would not be too expensive, but opening the bolt face, etc would cost extra.

The second is the barrel you choose. Depending on brand, caliber, twist, profile, length, pre-threaded, etc, etc. the price can vary by up to €200.

Your best bet is to ring and ask. Even if every lad gave the price of his work the prices will still vary unless the work is exactly what you intend to do.

As for Red Jacket. It's chewing gum for the brain. Nothing more.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ah come on a woman that knows how to handle a gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No good if she's got a head like the laughing cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You need to start watching american guns....

Paige (daughter)

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/h/2/h2zcd4tr9sckrtsc.jpg

Renee (mother..for the middle aged/older people on here :P)
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/american-guns/images/american-guns-renee-400x550.jpg

steph..meh
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/sons-of-guns/top-10/images/top-ten-stephanie-325x485.jpg

shopped out to the last

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Unfortunately both of these programs leave viewers in Europe with the impression that everyone over here who owns guns has an arsenal of full auto firearms and such firearms are freely available to any one who wants them , all you have to do is walk into their shops and pony up the money .
    Their own greed for notoriety and money leads to these shows being exploited by the producers who show the most extreme scenarios possible .
    If they were to show a real gunsmith at work they would show someone carefully and meticulously constructing a firearm without any drama , of course no one would watch such a program so there would be no money to be made .
    I don't watch either of these program because I find them to be insulting to my intelligence both as a gun owner and an ordinary human being .

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately both of these programs leave viewers in Europe with the impression that everyone over here who owns guns has an arsenal of full auto firearms and such firearms are freely available to any one who wants them , all you have to do is walk into their shops and pony up the money .
    Their own greed for notoriety and money leads to these shows being exploited by the producers who show the most extreme scenarios possible .
    If they were to show a real gunsmith at work they would show someone carefully and meticulously constructing a firearm without any drama , of course no one would watch such a program so there would be no money to be made .
    I don't watch either of these program because I find them to be insulting to my intelligence both as a gun owner and an ordinary human being .

Well American Guns did at least show a guy waiting on his background check when he came in to buy a gun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Watched it the other night. 45 mins I will never get back:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    I don't think that's true. How do they make that or whatever its called is a very sober account ands its popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Its so cringemaking its facinating. I don't believe a word of it, from Vince's alleged walkout to Steph's rite of passage bracelet given to her by Will.
    Its American TV after all !

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

True,true. The words "crock of ****e" come to mind:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Was watchin american guns the other night, the one with the silver 1911 he made for his wife. When it came back fro plating the pins would not fit in the holes, rich picked up a drill and bored the holes out an took off the excess silver. Now that was the first thing that poped into my head and im sure 90% of people watching would have done the same without having to think about it but he made such a big deal out of it and his "gunsmiths" never would have thought of that :rolleyes: and sometimes he has to show them these tricks. Sack

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MacsuibhneR

I agree that both of these programmes can be a bit head wrecking but I watch them anyway, even with all the false drama. I did think the shotgun Gatling gun (from Sons of Guns) was very cool even if they did just basically cheat in the end. Part of me is also jealous with the way they blow up the targets at the end of the episode and this definitely appeals to my immature side.

With regards to American Guns they do seem to make a mountain out of a molehill, however my favourite part of this show is when he goes off to buy some antique or collectiable firearms. Again it is overly dramatic but hey it is TV for as wide an audience as possible so we have to accept them for what they are. At least there are programmes about guns on the TV and on wet summer night it can be as good a way as any to kill an hour (yes my life is that boring).

The bargaining on American Guns is laughable, one episode the guy wanted $75000 for his load of big game rifles etc. Rich offered him $30000 which was rejected and he pulls out a bowie knife to sweeten the deal and the guy takes it....a bowie knife...he must have been in desperate need of one to take that cut on the price:pac:

Advertisement