Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time Helmet

• 23-07-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    I'm after buying my first bike and getting my licence. Doing the IBT with Paul Dobbins on Monday and Tuesday. Looking to get on the road then.
    Any recommendations for my first helmet. I think I want one with a flip front and integral sun visor.
    What kind of money do I need to spend?
    Also, would it be far cheaper to buy online or should I just get one in a shop? I know I should visit a shop and try on a few, so where is good to go? I live in North Kildare by the way.

Thanks,
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I got a Caberg Konda (flip up) for around 130E new off ebay, theres loads up there. It was what my IBT instructor was using & they have a maximun awarded saftey rating (5*).
    Nice cheapish helmet but I dont really use the flip up half as much as i thought i would

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Caberg-Konda-Flip-Front-Motorcycle-Crash-Helmet-/170865404202?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item6d77f471e7#ht_2740wt_1185

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/caberg-konda

Nothing wrong with buying online either

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jerryd777

I ride motorcycles regularly, don't scrimp on a helmet as it may save your life, the full face helmets are the safest, i recommend Shoei as they are a high quality brand with good noise protection and are comfortable to wear. You can get a good Shoei for about €250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I recommend the Caberg V2

Caberg are a good brand, you will find them in Irish bike sellers and also on ebay

They have an internal visor which I think is a very clever design, you can flick it down or up when needed

helmetmain.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi lads,
    I'm after buying my first bike and getting my licence. Doing the IBT with Paul Dobbins on Monday and Tuesday. Looking to get on the road then.
    Any recommendations for my first helmet. I think I want one with a flip front and integral sun visor.
    What kind of money do I need to spend?
    Also, would it be far cheaper to buy online or should I just get one in a shop? I know I should visit a shop and try on a few, so where is good to go? I live in North Kildare by the way.

Thanks,
    Eoin

You need to go to a shop and get your head measured and try on a few different lids as they all fit differently. Once you get one that fits and fells comfortable leave it on for a good while in the shop. As I had an Arai and recently got a Shark, I've since found out I don't have a Shark head and have had to modify the lid slightly as it was putting to much pressure on my forehead. A friend has the same issues with a different Shark model.

Then buy where you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

So are people not really that bothered about flip up helmets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its not that at all....they can be very very handy especially if you need to talk to people alot or communicate for your job etc. they are just not some people. I would really love one but I dont trust one safety wise compared to a full face lid. There are some cracking flip up helmets out there....each to there own. ;)

I think I need to go out to bikeworld or somewhere big like that and try on a few lids and see what suits best.

Cheers lads.

Yeah that is the ideal thing to do....but DONT BUY the lid in there, they are easily 25% dearer then anywhere else but they do have some nice lids. You could size yourslef in there and not the make and model and order it online. Check out Hein Gericke up in Newry well worth a spin up and crossans too. Huge selection in house they have.

Yeah I might even take a spin up there friday and have a look. are they far cheaper for everything?
    I'll also be looking to buy some luggage etc

Well you will always get good bargains....have a look on the website 1st. Crossans is only 10mins from Hein Gericke but can be a little tricky to find 1st time. But its well worth looking in both....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah I might even take a spin up there friday and have a look. are they far cheaper for everything?

Have a look in Cotters. They've a decent selection of lids and are open to a bit of haggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

As pointed out the most important thing is that the helmet shape "suits" your head shape.

I have found Arai to be the most suitable for my noggin. The lads up in crossans are very helpful with finding the right shape and size of helmet...as are others I'm sure.

Got my Arai in Crossans aswell, sat me down and adjusted the padding in the helmet and made sure it fitted me perfect. Funnt thing is my helmet is dearer now then it was a year ago because of the tsunami (supplies are harder to get) well thats what the main man said in Crossans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What bike did you buy? I have a luggage system for sale for a bandit if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Darmanted

I recently bought a shoei xr1000 for €160. Fantastic helmet, superseded by the xr1100, but still good value at this money. Rosiejoe, would that fit a 2003 bandit 600 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Darmanted wrote: »
    I recently bought a shoei xr1000 for €160. Fantastic helmet, superseded by the xr1100, but still good value at this money. Rosiejoe, would that fit a 2003 bandit 600 ?
    Don't think so. I think it only fits the 650/1250 bandit.

Hi Lads,
    I went up to Hein Gericke and got a good bit of stuff.
    Got a HJC Helmet. The IS-16 which seemed to fit well and has the internal sun visor which i wanted. I also got pinlock put on too as I've heard it's well worth it.
    The helmet was £159.99 and pinlock another £25 but the guy gave me a decent discount on everything as well. £158 all in which I thought was good.

Also got goretex gloves with knuckle guards. Balaclava with coolmax.
    Ear plugs. Panniers (Oxford Lifetime X60).
    Tank Bag (Hein Gericke Streetline and the GPS attachment also).
    Oxford chain and lock.
    Oxford high viz.
    Hein Gericke rain suit.

Can't wait to get the IBT done and get out on my bike now to try out all the gear!

Eoin

Its a great feeling is'nt it? Getting all the new gear..... I can remember it plain as day, also best of luck with the IBT and dont be afraid to ask questions and take your time. Go at your pace not the instructors, if he is any good he will recognise you are struggling at any particular stage. And have FUN!!!! :p

Hope to see you out on the road real soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hi Lads,
    I went up to Hein Gericke and got a good bit of stuff.
    Got a HJC Helmet. The IS-16 which seemed to fit well and has the internal sun visor which i wanted. I also got pinlock put on too as I've heard it's well worth it.
    The helmet was £159.99 and pinlock another £25 but the guy gave me a decent discount on everything as well. £158 all in which I thought was good.

Good stuff, delighted for ya! Glad you got the pinlock as the IS-16 is a bastid for fogging up in cold or wet conditions (I know - I use one most days!) but the pinlock will stop that.

Best of luck with everything.

Advertisement