Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushnell trophy

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I just bought a new Bushnell trophy scope, i tried to zero it tonight but found when i tried to move the windage crosshair to the left it moved to the right and the same with the elevation adjustment,its the opposite to the marking on the scope,has anybody seen this before ? is there a fault in the scope :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's how they work.

If you are firing and the shot is 5 inches high, and 5 inches left. You need to bring the shot (point of impact) down, and right.

To do this you dial the scope in the direction of down (as marked on the scope) but the crosshairs rise. This now forces you to lower the scope (which is attached to the rifle) hence the barrel, and it brings your shot down.

Same with the windage. You are 5 inches left. You dial in 5 inches right (as marked on the scope) and the crosshairs move left. To counter this left movement of the crosshairs you move the scope & rifle (barrel) to the right.

So to move down, and left the crosshairs move up, and right. It's perfectly normal.

I find it best to have a good idea in inches of what the necessary movement required is. Then do't look at the crosshairs as you adjust. At least until you get used to them. Another method would be to fire a shot. If the shot is 5 inches high, and 5 inches left you place the crosshairs (without any adjustment) back on the bulleyes or your point of aim when you fired. Then dial the crosshairs until they now "cover" the bullet hole from your first shot.

Lastly while most scopes have 1/4" adjustments this DOES NOT mean that the bullet will move 1/4" for each click. It means the value of the movement of the crosshair is 1/4". The reason for values on the crosshairs is so as not to have the shooter constantly adjusting to try and get zeroed.

By this i mean if i gave you a scope with now marking or click values and asked you to zero you would be constantly firing and adjusting. The click values allow to see that your shot is 5 inches high, and left and with the 1/4" click value you need to bring it approx. 20 clicks down, and 20 clicks right. When you do, it may be spot on or at least very close to the point of aim/bulleyes. This is because the bullet travels in an arc and not via line of sight as the scope works.

Hope that makes sense.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ALAN.N

Thanks for this info Ezridax,but i find it hard to understand the first part, If the shot is 5" high & 5" left and i move the crosshair down & right as by the markings on the scope, would the next shot not go up & left ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Just think of it as moving your bullet hole to meet the cross hairs, so if u fire and its to the left adjust to the right on the turret

Hi ormondprop
    If the shot goes to the left & i move the dial on the turret in the right direction the next shot goes even further to the left,it moves in the opposite direction from the way the arrow on the dial says, that's the reason i thought the scope is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

YOU Have moved your point of aim "via" the crosshairs lower and to the right to correct the point of impact.....put a few bullets down the barrel..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ALAN.N wrote: »
    .............. If the shot is 5" high & 5" left and i move the crosshair down & right as by the markings on the scope, would the next shot not go up & left ?:confused:
    Yes it would. I see where the confusion is coming from. I wrote;
    If you are firing and the shot is 5 inches high, and 5 inches left. You need to bring in down, and right.
    This would imply the crosshairs need to come down, and right, but i was actually referring to the shot. I'll edit my post to clarify that, but you have the right idea.

The crosshairs move in the opposite direction to the intended direction. Or another way to look at it you bring the crosshairs from where you are aiming to where your last shot landed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

This video helped me make sense of what I had to do and what was moving where.

Thanks for all the reply's its makes sense to me now, i just couldnt get my head around it earlier

Advertisement