Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS Scheme

Options
  • 23-07-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm looking for some help, I've been on the housing list for a number of years now and I've been receiving rent allowance. I recently signed onto the RAS scheme and was wondering if the was some sort of site that tells you where there is landlords will to accept the scheme. Similar to daft or something. I'm looking to for accommodation in the dublin 7 or surrounding areas. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think the whole point of the ras scheme,is landlords sign up ,they get x amount rent ,the council sends them a tenant .THEY do not choose the tenant.
    there maybe few landlords in dublin 7 on the ras.
    in my experience its usually used for single mothers to rent a house.
    Contact council housing dept or your welfare officer for more info, advice.
    I think it would be a breach of data protection law, for someone to give you a list of people who take ras tenants.
    if average rent in dublin 7 is 1000 per month
    and ras is 930 i cant see many landlords signing up for it
    in that area.
    ie rent for a 3bed house in some areas is over rent allowance limit,
    So you might need to look in another area or see
    if theres an apartment under the ra limit.
    rent varys from area to area ,
    in my experience welfare officers prefer single mothers
    to rent a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Hi guys,
    I am currently on the RAS scheme in Offaly. When I signed up for it the council got us a house and we had no choice but to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaneirish

I have a question how long does it take to change from rent allowence to ras scheme because I'm on the rent allowence past 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Not sure if this thread might be locked, shane, as it's old...?
    But as far as I know, you can contact your local council and tell them you're interested in the RAS scheme.

Usually, they'll be OK with that and send you the information in the post.
    You then go off hunting for a property for yourself with a Landlord who is willing to participate in the scheme.

If you find one, contact the council with the Landlord's details and it'll be taken from there.
    The council have to send an inspector out to the property to do an inspection and that can take about 8 weeks, so after that, you can move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In Waterford, the council pick the house, you have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    In Waterford, the council pick the house, you have no choice.

For the RAS scheme?!

Advertisement