Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anschutz 1417 .22 rifle info.

Options
  • 23-07-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hello lads,
    Any of you have experience of any anschutz 1417 in .22 calibre.
    How is it for accuracy with such a short barell?
    What ammo do you find the tightest groups with?
    Thanks in advance for the replies........
    Paddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I don't own one but i have had a go and it is a really lovely rifle, if i could have a second bolt .22 that would be the one i'd get. but i love the iron sights on my cz too much. The groups i got with the one i shot were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Sounds good!
    Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jmcp

I have a 1417zg thumbhole stock, and I find it a great rifle. I use sk rifle match, and just bought a brick at £38 which is good value . using eley match really shows how good this .22 is. must dig out some results and post them. Great trigger as well.

glad to hear its an accurate rifle then.
    what does the "z" stand for in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

Hi paddy
    these are a great little rifle..fantastic groups so much so it has now become my sporter benchrest gun..loves subs.. Im using sk subs and bowling rabbits out to 90 yards no problem..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

for half the money get a cz, shoots just as well IMO.

ruger1894c wrote: »
    Hi paddy
    these are a great little rifle..fantastic groups so much so it has now become my sporter benchrest gun..loves subs.. Im using sk subs and bowling rabbits out to 90 yards no problem..
    That's what I like to hear!! These sk subs are made by lapua right?
    Picking up mine this week hopefully.
    What mod do you use on it?
    I'm thinking the sak mod for €50ish would be fine, the wildcat whisper is up on €200.
    Can't be that much better can it?

Traumadoc wrote: »
    for half the money get a cz, shoots just as well IMO.
    Well I probably would have but I traded a bigger caliber sako so I went for the higher end of the .22's.
    From what I hear the cz is an accurate rifle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'd be amazed if it was anything else - Over 90% of ALL world and Olympic match records since the middle 1970's are held by Anschutz rifles using a very similar action to this one.

However, you might care to read these long reviews from a few usuers over here in UK - http://www.airgunbbs.com/archive/index.php/t-20175.html

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

ruger1894c wrote: »
    Hi paddy
    That's what I like to hear!! These sk subs are made by lapua right?
    Picking up mine this week hopefully.
    What mod do you use on it?
    I'm thinking the sak mod for €50ish would be fine, the wildcat whisper is up on €200.
    Can't be that much better can it?
    Sk are made by lapua is right..
    Sak would be perfect im using an atec on mine..looks well on the rifle and is very easy clean thats the only reason i went down that road

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »

I'd be amazed if it was anything else - Over 90% of ALL world and Olympic match records since the middle 1970's are held by Anschutz rifles using a very similar action to this one.

However, you might care to read these long reviews from a few usuers over here in UK - http://www.airgunbbs.com/archive/index.php/t-20175.html

tac
    I'm not doubting for a second that anschutz are the dogs nutz of guns, the only thing I'm concerned about is the 14" barell.
    I've read that thread before too. I guess it's like most things, proper ammo suited to the rifle and the right person behind it and it shouldn't be a problem.

Sak would be perfect im using an atec on mine..looks well on the rifle and is very easy clean thats the only reason i went down that road[/Quote]

I've heard recently that lapua are very accurate bullets. Haven't heard of the sk though but I must get my hands on a box and try them through the new gun.
    Any tips on breaking in a new barell anyone?

Sak would be perfect im using an atec on mine..looks well on the rifle and is very easy clean thats the only reason i went down that road

I've heard recently that lapua are very accurate bullets. Haven't heard of the sk though but I must get my hands on a box and try them through the new gun.
    Any tips on breaking in a new barell anyone?[/QUOTE]

There are as many opinions about what is needed to 'break in' a barrel as a dog has fleas, but in the generally high quality of .22 barrels these days makes it uneccessary - IMO.:D

Last sunday a noob came to the range with his brand new, out of the box CZ-something. He cleaned up the packaging goo and then we helped him put his scope on with a laser boresight collimator. His first ten shots made a raggedy hole at 50m.

Just how much better it will get before it begins to deteriorate is not something I'll live long enough to know - even my 1910 BSA shoots better than I can ever manage and it has had half a gazillion rounds down it - maybe more.

tac

Can't argue with that!
    The term breaking in is probably an old term then. I'm sure once a few shots have the rifling coated you're good to go.
    Looking forward to seeing the results I get with the rifle and what bullets it "likes".

The term breaking in is probably an old term then. I'm sure once a few shots have the rifling coated you're good to go.

Not at all. Breaking in a barrel is commonly a recommended process in centre-fire barrels as they are finished from the rifling machine with minute but detectable irregularities in the internal rifling form. As such, they often need a measure of care in the first hundred or so shots, according to some experts This process is often accompanied by often complex, pedantic operations of shooting and and cleaning - shoot once and clean, then shoot two and clean and so on - a time/ammuntion consuming process but worthwhile in carrying out, so I'm told. There are even sets of 'lapping bullets' with gradually finer abrasive coatings on sale for use in those countries where ammunition can be reloaded.

Higher quality barrels from the custom barrel-makers, on the other hand, are often hand-lapped to 'smooth' out irregularities, and what is used to carry out this barrel-lapping exercise?

A lead 'bullet' on a rod.

There is a lot of evidence that cleaning more than the chamber of a .22 rifle can often serve to reduce the accuracy, until the barrel has been 'sweetened up' by shooting a half box or so down it again. I have found this to be true with all of my .22 rifles over the years.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Back to the 1416. I have one from the 1960s in a European hunting stock with the double trigger.Use the back trigger to cock,and the front to fire.
    Still an absolute tack driver, and well worth their money just wish I could get a longer stock made or aquire on for it as it has gone too short for me.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Not at all. Breaking in a barrel is commonly a recommended process in centre-fire barrels as they are finished from the rifling machine with minute but detectable irregularities in the internal rifling form. As such, they often need a measure of care in the first hundred or so shots, according to some experts This process is often accompanied by often complex, pedantic operations of shooting and and cleaning - shoot once and clean, then shoot two and clean and so on - a time/ammuntion consuming process but worthwhile in carrying out, so I'm told. There are even sets of 'lapping bullets' with gradually finer abrasive coatings on sale for use in those countries where ammunition can be reloaded.

Higher quality barrels from the custom barrel-makers, on the other hand, are often hand-lapped to 'smooth' out irregularities, and what is used to carry out this barrel-lapping exercise?

A lead 'bullet' on a rod.

There is a lot of evidence that cleaning more than the chamber of a .22 rifle can often serve to reduce the accuracy, until the barrel has been 'sweetened up' by shooting a half box or so down it again. I have found this to be true with all of my .22 rifles over the years.

tac

You seem to know your stuff there tac.
    I suppose breaking in the higher calibers like you say, are similar to new engines. The first oil change gets rid of the small burr and filings. the new rifling probably would need a polishing from the lead bullet on the rod as you mentioned.
    As for after a barell cleaning, I have heard that it takes a number of shots to get the grouping back to normal again. I remember I had a .220 swift, no matter what I done with that rifle it was like a laser. I guess it was self cleaning lol.
    Thanks for the info

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Back to the 1416. I have one from the 1960s in a European hunting stock with the double trigger.Use the back trigger to cock,and the front to fire.
    Still an absolute tack driver, and well worth their money just wish I could get a longer stock made or aquire on for it as it has gone too short for me.

That sounds like a very nice trigger set up. I fired a .22 hornet a few times with a setup like that. Very nice when you get used to it.
    Too bad about your stock problem. Ever try a wood worker about making you up a stock? With the right tools and know how I'm sure something could be made.

I'd really need a good rifle stockmaker,as its somwhat different to a shotgun stock..I've never found anyone who makes drop in stocks for the Anscheutz either:(.So it's going to be a pretty big hunk of change project.I can get the walnut blank gratis,but converting that to a custom stock....:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'd really need a good rifle stockmaker,as its somwhat different to a shotgun stock..I've never found anyone who makes drop in stocks for the Anscheutz either:(.So it's going to be a pretty big hunk of change project.I can get the walnut blank gratis,but converting that to a custom stock....:eek:

If you hear of anyone that is skilled in what they do, they just might surprise you. It's still only a lump of wood shaped and milled out for the trigger and magazine and so on.
    The length of pull is what needs to be corrected I think, get that right and you're laughing.
    He'd have a template in the stock you have already and he could just lengthen it to suit you.

• Advertisement

Any suggestions for a riflestock maker out there??

Dear All - the RoI has a couple of the very finest stockmakers on the planet - judging by the results we have seen on this forum over the years. Mr Ezridax and many others have given employment to these sundry gentleman craftsmen, and posted the results on this very forum, to the delight and great amaze of the readers.

I would have no qualms whatsoever about giving any of these craftsmen my trade, if only I had the means, need and ability to do it.

Please do a search and see who they are.

As has been pointed out already, after-market stocks for Anschutz rifles that do not look like Terminator's arms/legs [Genesis, Bleiker et al] are very thin on the ground, and in any case, no after-market stock is going to be given away by the makers - anywhere.

My advice is therefore limited to two sentences -

1. Put up with the current Anschutz stock and use a stock butt lengthening slipover.

OR

2. Get one of our home-grown Irish stockmakers to make you what you think you want.

tac

You seem to know your stuff there tac.
    I suppose breaking in the higher calibers like you say, are similar to new engines. The first oil change gets rid of the small burr and filings. the new rifling probably would need a polishing from the lead bullet on the rod as you mentioned.
    As for after a barell cleaning, I have heard that it takes a number of shots to get the grouping back to normal again. I remember I had a .220 swift, no matter what I done with that rifle it was like a laser. I guess it was self cleaning lol.
    Thanks for the info

Ah, MY .220Swift, a re-barrelled Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 that had the original .220 Swift barrel destroyed by the previous owner, is an absolute heathen for at least ten shots after cleaning. Two inches are the norm until the barrel either gets warm, or stops sulking. The barrel - a Douglas heavy version, was put on it in 1982 or 3, and still shoots into ca. 3/4" five shots @100m with Federal [I don't reload only .45-70Gov in the USA].

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Pat sludds
    http://www.gunstocks.ie/

Enda walsh
    http://www.gunstocksireland.com/

@G45 - be warned that Mr Sludds, a consummate craftsman, is not too interested in rifle stocks, he being a shotgun man. On the other paw, if it's a simple matter of sticking a bit of matching wood onto your stock, that is a pretty ho-hum kind of a job for a man like him and is a normal thing to do to a shotgun...

His work is every bit as good as the best English gunstockers.

tac

tac[/Quote]
    Ah, MY .220Swift, a re-barrelled Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 that had the original .220 Swift barrel destroyed by the previous owner, is an absolute heathen for at least ten shots after cleaning. Two inches are the norm until the barrel either gets warm, or stops sulking. The barrel - a Douglas heavy version, was put on it in 1982 or 3, and still shoots into ca. 3/4" five shots @100m with Federal [I don't reload only .45-70Gov in the USA].

Pre 64, you hang on to your rifles not like us around here ha.
    That sounds like a finicky bitch of a barell, but once it fires good after getting settled in then who cares right?
    The swift I had was a more modern ruger m77 mkll. I couldn't recommend that round enough for foxing.

@G45 - be warned that Mr Sludds, a consummate craftsman, is not too interested in rifle stocks, he being a shotgun man. On the other paw, if it's a simple matter of sticking a bit of matching wood onto your stock, that is a pretty ho-hum kind of a job for a man like him and is a normal thing to do to a shotgun...

His work is every bit as good as the best English gunstockers.

tac

Not disagreeing with you as I know nothing about the man but he has photos of a thumbhole stock on a cz 452 so he has done rifle stocks before anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Pat Sludds made a benchrest stock for my Anschutz 1710 last year. He's a top class stock maker and will make it any design you want. The action is tighter in his stock than in the factory one. Thumb holes no bother.

My advice is therefore limited to two sentences -

1. Put up with the current Anschutz stock and use a stock butt lengthening slipover.

OR

2. Get one of our home-grown Irish stockmakers to make you what you think you want.

tac

Think it wil have to be option nr 2.

It has an extension on the extension,and a slipover the extended extension with extra large recoil pad.:eek::D

• Advertisement

We'll have to get you one of these haha

Advertisement