Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Mk3's, your photos

• 24-07-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭

So,as confirmed(but we all knew) these fantastic coaches will be scrapped,so please post your photos here(even if posted before) so we can remind ourselves of happy times on the Irish Rail scene....i always remember the lovely smell in the MK3's when new.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I dont have photos to hand (on the iphone, laptop in work)!but does anyone have the link to the pics taken inside of the sets post their storage In heuston as taken by a well known gricer? Would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Here is some good ones along with an Enterprise Mk3 EGV from over 2 years ago. Notices it's buffers are fully extended, very rare to see.

http://www.drimnagh-road.com/180112dundalk.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Millem wrote: »
    I dont have photos to hand (on the iphone, laptop in work)!but does anyone have the link to the pics taken inside of the sets post their storage In heuston as taken by a well known gricer? Would be much appreciated!

I think these are the shots you are talking about.
    http://www.drimnagh-road.com/130311heustonmk3s.htm

There was a big hoo-haw from some quarters when these pictures were put up, which is the usual reaction from the same quarters,but they are great shots,well taken and a lovely highlight of the state the coaches were been left in.I love these pictures.I'd hate to see the inside of the coaches as of now.I'd say they are in a pathetic state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

MK3a (Cu na Mara) 6203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some coach,wont ever be a coach like it

• Advertisement

MK3a (Cu na Mara) 6203

That is my photo from Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62132709@N04/6187741178/in/set-72157627638240655

Here is my set of photos of the MK3 Internationals that remain
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62132709@N04/sets/72157627638240655/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

MKIII farewell tour,loads of pics of the MKIII's.:)

MKIII Farewell tour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I wonder could a person buy one? How much do they weigh? At E150/tonne for scrap, surely a few could be bought up?

newmug wrote: »
    I wonder could a person buy one? How much do they weigh? At E150/tonne for scrap, surely a few could be bought up?

Think they are about 30 odd tonne each. The thing is keeping them in good nick as they are air con stock. Much easier to look after a Mk2A/B than a Mk3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

indeed they probably could. the problem though ie IE more than likely won't let you store them on their land as they want rid of them and the cost of road transport to a storage site would be pretty expensive, 5k-10k from what I've heard thrown around on here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62132709@N04/6187217989/in/photostream/

The good, the bad and the ugly of grounded coaches in this Flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

DSCF6756.JPG

Want

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lordnelson850

has scrapping commenced yet?? better yet has anybody bought any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stevie1987

Hi all,

I recently ventured down to North Wall Freight Yard and had a friendly chat with the two security guards who very kindly gave me permission into the yard.

The images in the link below show the withdrawn MK3 coaches including a push pull set number 6105, now I know there is allot of unrest amongst people about the early withdrawal of these beautiful pieces of rolling stock and I couldn’t agree more it is a crying shame and I was lucky enough to get to photograph them in November 2012. But IE don't care they are simply looking at turn around times and a railcar has a quicker turn around time then a loco hauled train, which improves the service to the public. And don't think I'm in favour of a network or railcars, to be honest I actually hate 29000 Class DMU's and always have since they came onto the network I find them so sterile. I find that the railway is loosing its personality as it becomes more modern.

Its a shame IE have opted to remove most of their loco hauled trains from service and I do hope that perhaps the ITG would be able to barter a deal to purchase at a reasonable rate six or so of these coaches. Now I know IE wouldn't let you store them on their network but I'm sure some location could be found, there are plenty of disused rails around Ireland that could be used. I don't know what it is about Ireland we seem to have a very flippant approach to our heritage until its gone then we realise ‘oh maybe we shouldn’t of done that’, one only has to look at 'Georgian Dublin' or 'Wood Quay' in Dublin. The same goes for the railways one only has to look at photographs of various eras of the railway such as the early 1900's and look how small the network has gotten. I would love to see the RPSI and ITG work together to build and Irish version of the 'Bluebell Railway'. And I am aware there is a heritage railway in Northern Ireland just to clarify, perhaps we could ask for a proper large 'Irish Transport Museum' to be built…and then maybe pigs will fly. I do hope it works out for the ITG with the planned museum at the West Clare Railway.

Anyway enjoy the photos there are only a few up on my site I do have more but I haven't scanned them yet. They were shot using 400iso Transparency film scanned and also I shot some monochrome too but I haven't printed them yet only developed them.

http://www.foveaphotographic.com/off-the-rails.html

Nice photos. The smell inside those must have been nauseating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

When it came to the inevitable scrapping of these coaches I was always a bit 50/50 on whether it was just peoples nostalgia or whether they were actually deemed to be unfit for service.
    However, after seeing the photos posted here (especially the interior ones) I think it's an absolute disgrace that they are being sent to the scrap heat. Christ, they look better on the inside then many trains I've travelled on in Europe and abroad.
    Why on earth they were fully replaced with trains that don't even go faster is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stevie1987

The smell inside those must have been nauseating!

Yes the smell was pretty bad to be honest, I had to boil wash my clothing when I got home to get the smell out of the apartment.
    However, after seeing the photos posted here (especially the interior ones) I think it's an absolute disgrace that they are being sent to the scrap heat

The interiors are in relativity good condition they just need to be cleaned out properly, the only problem now is that there is more and more damage been done to the carriages the further you move from the security entrance to the yard.

Junkies are using them to shoot up in a used needles are a common find along the interiors and thugs are smashing the windows on the coaches too.

The exteriors are taking a bit of punishment from the elements which is my main concern, it will get to the stage where if IE were ever to try to use them again the cost of refurbishing them would be very high.

Great shame really I do love those coaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes the smell was pretty bad to be honest, I had to boil wash my clothing when I got home to get the smell out of the apartment.

At times the smell when they were in services wasn't great.

• Advertisement

I was told scrapping of Waterford based coaches to commence this week. Some repositioning took place today with vans relocated. We await developments.

I was told scrapping of Waterford based coaches to commence this week. Some repositioning took place today with vans relocated. We await developments.

A set of 8 was moved today.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Christ this is depressing.It will be bad day when the MK3s are finally gone.Beautiful,brilliant coaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i've said it many times and i'l say it again, a complete scandle that these carriges were left to rot and are now being scrapped, a complete waste, i suspect the 2700s 8200s and some of the 201s will be facing old sparky soon?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Fratello wrote: »
    I understand the generators are being removed from the EGV's in Waterford, similar to that which has already occurred with those in North Wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Did any of the preservation groups buy a set? They should, and they should keep them in orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

this waste of money makes me boil ,these are much better than any commuter carriage out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Did any of the preservation groups buy a set? They should, and they should keep them in orange.
    Can't be bought.....
    Different braking system....aircon...
    They are wrecks now from sitting getting damp and vandalised

Temp101 wrote: »
    I understand the generators are being removed from the EGV's in Waterford, similar to that which has already occurred with those in North Wall.
    how many generator vans are their? why weren't they kept for the enterprise? 3 is hardly good enough is it?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

how many generator vans are their? why weren't they kept for the enterprise? 3 is hardly good enough is it?

There is between 10-15 Gen vans if my estimate is correct.

There is between 10-15 Gen vans if my estimate is correct.

There were 13 Mk3 EGVs built. Good estimate.

13 built and the best 4 were converted. 4 is all that is needed for the Enterprise as there are 4 DD DVTs. There can be 4 sets in theory and that was the plan in 1996 but that was revised to 3 sets and enough for a spare maintenance set short one standard coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

15 Gen vans, 13 Buffet

15 Gen vans,

I stand corrected. Right you are, 7601-7615.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Is it the case now that due to the introduction of the EGV, platform length requires the removal of one standard (leaving four)? In which case there may be a full 7-piece set nominally spare?

In addition, are the EGV's selected for the DD sets only from the pool that was modified to work with Mk.3 Push-Pulls?

• Advertisement

Is it the case now that due to the introduction of the EGV, platform length requires the removal of one standard (leaving four)? In which case there may be a full 7-piece set nominally spare?

In addition, are the EGV's selected for the DD sets only from the pool that was modified to work with Mk.3 Push-Pulls?

There has being no reduction in enterprise after EGV interduced. Still 7 coaches+EGV+Loco. There is an enterprise set of 7 lieing about but for spare usualy. A few years ago the enterprise was in sets of 8 coaches which ment the other set coudln't be used.

The Gen Vans selected have nothing to do with PP setup as it wasn't revelent to Mark 3 sets. Mark 3 PP sets are different to the current enterprise as they don't have a generator van but a smaller one under one of the carrages which limited the sets to 5 coaches but one had 6 and had no air con windows that could open instead etc. Any of the Gen Vans could of being used on Belfast line.

Mark 3 PP sets are different to the current enterprise as they don't have a generator van but a smaller one under one of the carrages which limited the sets to 5 coaches but one had 6 and had no air con windows that could open instead etc.
    i thought all carriges in a pushpull set had their own underfloor generators and opening windows? definitely open to correction on this but was under the impression that was the case.

No just in the control car and thats why 6 was the max per set but most had a limit of 5 coaches. The reason being that its unable to power more than 6 coaches. The normal generator vans on other sets had two generators which allowed more carrages. All had windows that could be opened except for the Cafe/Bar that was interduced around late 2004.

Now does anyone know if the 5 PP sets will be kept, if wikipida is correct it says that they will be retained to operate Belfast line if a improved schedule was interduced. I can't see them being kept but if they were it would be good. Anyone know?

No just in the control car and thats why 6 was the max per set but most had a limit of 5 coaches. The reason being that its unable to power more than 6 coaches. The normal generator vans on other sets had two generators which allowed more carrages. All had windows that could be opened except for the Cafe/Bar that was interduced around late 2004.
    ah okay
    does anyone know if the 5 PP sets will be kept, if wikipida is correct it says that they will be retained to operate Belfast line if a improved schedule was interduced. I can't see them being kept but if they were it would be good. Anyone know?
    i thought they were all scrapped all ready? or at least the control cars? if not i doubt they will be kept to be honest, after all doing so would make sense so forget about it.

as i've said before many times the mark 3s should be doing the hourly cork and an hourly bellfast service but i suppose knowing irish rail had they gone down the refurbishment route the cost of such refurbishment would be over inflated deliberately to stop it from happening, their idea seems to be shiny new trains will solve all our problems, guess what lads, no it won't, should have got all the speed improvements done first, no excuse not to get the money during the good times, you didn't try hard enough, if needed be you should have got non-essential staff out blocking/delaying the motor way constructions until the government gave you the money, after all they don't want their precious motor ways being delayed any further as they need them for their state cars so they would have eventually given in and given the money, i know i'm wasting my time but i may as well get it off my chest.

• Advertisement

as i've said before many times the mark 3s should be doing the hourly cork and an hourly bellfast service but i suppose knowing irish rail had they gone down the refurbishment route the cost of such refurbishment would be over inflated deliberately to stop it from happening, their idea seems to be shiny new trains will solve all our problems, guess what lads, no it won't, should have got all the speed improvements done first, no excuse not to get the money during the good times, you didn't try hard enough, if needed be you should have got non-essential staff out blocking/delaying the motor way constructions until the government gave you the money, after all they don't want their precious motor ways being delayed any further as they need them for their state cars so they would have eventually given in and given the money, i know i'm wasting my time but i may as well get it off my chest

There is the cost of refurbishment then there is the running cots have a generator running 24/7 and a loco. The fuel costs with the current prices would be massive and then there is the 201 wear on the tracks. The being unable to match capacity with demand would result in service cuts.
    i thought they were all scrapped all ready? or at least the control cars? if not i doubt they will be kept to be honest, after all doing so would make sense so forget about it.

Not sure but I think there is some left in N Wall, Dubdalk and over at Heuston.

There is one, possibly 2 Mk3 DVTs left. One is at North Wall and the other if it still exists is in Inchicore. There are a good few of the 63xx series, which are the Mk3 PP standards at Dundalk mixed in the with the normal Mk3s and they are in very poor shape.

It would be good if a Mk3 PP set could be kept as a spare backup or for specials but it does not look good at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's a pity that they don't get a set for the New Ross preservation scheme, they would look well regauged and hauled behind a Bord na Mona diesel loco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can't be bought.....
    Different braking system....aircon...
    They are wrecks now from sitting getting damp and vandalised

considering there are 201s going spare and 071s no doubt due for the scrap heap soon enough they should be buying them in anticipation of compatible locos becoming available in the next few years.

They'd make millions from the hardcore locosexuals, mk3s behind an 071!! :eek::eek:!! what more could you want. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

Where was it moved to, is there any photos of the mk3s at Waterford getting moved about in the last few days

There is the cost of refurbishment then there is the running cots have a generator running 24/7 and a loco. The fuel costs with the current prices would be massive and then there is the 201 wear on the tracks. The being unable to match capacity with demand would result in service cuts.
    they would only run cork and bellfast though (if i had my way) between both services being hourly their wouldn't be much left i'd say, a spair rake for each service, personally in my opinion when the carriges were built they should have went with power cars something like the class 43 but lighter if possible, the 201s are to heavy and can't go around all the network, had the mark 3s been paired up with power cars once the a-class were retired their would most likely have been and still be enough locos to go round as mass amounts of rail freight are unlikely to happen for the forseeable.
    Not sure but I think there is some left in N Wall, Dubdalk and over at Heuston.
    i think the carriges at heuston were moved? the ones at dundalk are apparently so bad they will be scrapped on site but as usual i'm open to correction.

i think the carriges at heuston were moved? the ones at dundalk are apparently so bad they will be scrapped on site but as usual i'm open to correction.

The ones in Heuston were moved to North Wall when the new batch of ICRs arrived.

Where was it moved to, is there any photos of the mk3s at Waterford getting moved about in the last few days

When I say moved they were moved the with of 3 tracks, nothing major. The sets in Waterford are begining to rust at this stage, being near the sea dosn't help.
    The ones in Heuston were moved to North Wall when the new batch of ICRs arrived.

When you say Heuston do you mean the ones behind Plt 10?

When you say Heuston do you mean the ones behind Plt 10?
    Yes, they were in the old Guinness yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Have always thought the Mark 3 locations set up for destruction by corrosion. That said, is there anywhere inland was there space to store a decent number of carriages? Limerick Junction maybe? Mallow?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement