Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rib tatttoos advice !

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit advice on getting tattoo mid ribcage and was just wondering how bad the pain is ? people say its severly unbareable but i think it will be well worth it ! i have one on my neck already !

just looking for advice ! anything will be helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I got my 1st tattoo on same spot about 10yrs ago! 9 tattoos later its definitely the most painful one I've gotten but I cant compare it to a neck smash tho haha haven't ventured there just yet!! If its a design you really want go for it! even if it takes a few sittings the end result will be worth it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had one done a couple of months ago on the top of my rib cage, the most pain I've ever had in my life.

Can't wait for the next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

Haha that's it exactly !! If ye too still wanted more it must be bareable ! I wanted to get a quote so it prob wouldn't even take that long I don't think ! I think its just the thought of it on raw bone thats lik Ahhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I had from the top of my ribcage done down to miy hip in one sitting and i wont lie it was very painful, ive had longer sitting on my arm and not felt half as bad.

But its well worth it, in fact im going in next month to get my other ribs done :D, but i know when its all done and dusted ill be happy with it thats the main thing.

Wats the recoverly lik??? Was it very raw afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

have had work on my chest, arm,shoulder,calf and rib. The ribs were far and away the sorest. and very sore at that

shell10 wrote: »
    Wats the recoverly lik??? Was it very raw afterwards?

The recovery eh it was like my other tattoos but did find the ribs bruised up a quite a good bit more so yeh the ribs were that lilttle bit worse at healing up aswell, still worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

im in the middle of getting half of my back done, shoulder to waist really, found that being stretched out in a sitting brace position makes it far less painful, what ever position keeps you from tensing up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Got my first tattoo done on my ribs yesterday just below the bra line and I was expecting pain but sweet mother of Christ, there were parts where I had to ask him to stop because the pain was getting too much where he was on the actual rib itself.

It was my first tattoo in fairness but I've a bit of weight on me so I didn't think it would be too bad.

Pain was gone as soon as the needle came off though and it just feels like a bruise now.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭david85

I got my first tattoo on my rib cage 9 months ago. Going in next week for a half sleeve. If the tat is meaningful to you then the pain will be a minor detail. 1hr of pain < lifetime of joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lowrus

I had poems tattooed down both rib cages from under my armpit to my hip took 2.5hrs for each side and never hurt just tickled but thats my opinion, maybe im just lucky (or weird)

Lowrus wrote: »
    I had poems tattooed down both rib cages from under my armpit to my hip took 2.5hrs for each side and never hurt just tickled but thats my opinion, maybe im just lucky (or weird)

2.5 hours youll be ok its when you get a large piece done that takes some time were the pain kicks in, ive done 6hours on my arm no problem 5 hours on the ribs you in pain, I found myself its around the 4 hour mark on the ribs were you start to feel the burn.

Got my first tattoo done on my ribs yesterday just below the bra line and I was expecting pain but sweet mother of Christ, there were parts where I had to ask him to stop because the pain was getting too much where he was on the actual rib itself.

oh god !! was it a big piece ? mine is only a sentence or two of script !

i agree with ye tho id absolutly love to have it done and as ye said a little bit of pain is worth it !! few sambucas before and ill be ok :p

4 hrs of pain on the ribs ???? Ye're alot braver then me!! haha:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's going to be considerably more uncomfortable than your neck I'm afraid :)

I had a smallish piece done on my ribs, about an hour and a half's work. It was a lot worse than the others but it is still bearable, just very uncomfortable. It's very awkward trying to find a position that you'll be comfortable lying in too, play around before you start!

maximoose wrote: »
    It's going to be considerably more uncomfortable than your neck I'm afraid :)

I had a smallish piece done on my ribs, about an hour and a half's work. It was a lot worse than the others but it is still bearable, just very uncomfortable. It's very awkward trying to find a position that you'll be comfortable lying in too, play around before you start!

Yeh certainly make sure your comfotable in the position you in if your going to be there for a substantial time, my first one on my ribs was done at the convention had to sit on a chair for five hours in the maddest of position for about a month afterwards had pains and trouble putting weighton my right arm/soulder. Once they have a bed for ya to lie on you should be able to find a position that suits both you and the artist.

If its only a sentence or two it shouldnt take to long if you do find it really painful ya shpuld be able to grin a bear it for the short peiod of time, but everyones pain threshold is different. It will be worth it in the end when you look at it and your happy with it :).

Ha ha ha ya I guessed as much it would be much more sorer!!! Ya people have said that already about makin sure ur comfortable !!! Ya I think it would b worth it in the end :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jane.f

Hi i have one that goes from just below my armpit to my upper thigh on my right hand side it took a fair few sittings its mostly japanese style , the first couple of sittings werent too bad it was mostly the outlines , when the colouring started it was fairly sore but i expected a lot worse , im fairly thin so people were saying oh the needle is going to be sore on the bones but it was more of a burning feeling , the guy doing the tattoo was saying that women seem to have a higher pain threshold , i found that my neck piece was a lot more painful than my side piece , just make sure its something you really want and it will be worth the pain .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sunflower260

My 1st tattoo was on my ribs and I have to say it was grand.. I'd imagine if you handled a neck tattoo you'll be fine! I only have two tattoos, the other one's on my stomach and I barely felt that! I love rib tattoos, it'll be worth it no matter the pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I got my first tattoo on my ribs. I thought it was very painful. I had to ask him to stop a couple of times for a break from it. It was worth it though. I was happy with the result and it's a nice place for a tattoo, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i had a 5hr session on my ribs and feelings-wise it was my most enjoyable tattoo.i've a lot of sensitive areas towards the bottom of my ribs and it just tickled the hell out of me.the mid section was a pleasurable pain but the last 45mins at the top of the ribs were a bit of a bitch but it was well worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement