Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish government unveils design for memorial to abuse victims

• 24-07-2012 12:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like we are getting another national garden memorial (and possible garden).
    The Irish government has unveiled the winning design of the memorial chosen for victims of institutional abuse.

Journey of Light will be erected next to the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin.
    The memorial will include the wording of the Irish government's 1999 apology for the suffering of those who were abused while in its care.

It stated: "On behalf of the State and of all citizens of the State, the Government wishes to make a sincere and long overdue apology to the victims of childhood abuse for our collective failure to intervene, to detect their pain, to come to their rescue."

The apology will be inscribed in English and Irish at a child's eye level on the walls, and in Braille on a bronze plaque at the base of the water feature.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18932428

Now if they will see that the culprits pay up more so rather than leaving the rest of the nation to pay 1.5 Billion, they would be on a firmer footing.
    As it is, the state (us?) will be left to also pay for the garden too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

No garden is any use to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

so just another place for junkies and alcos to hang out in then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Such a nice thing to spend money on. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way but If I was a victim of physical or sexual abuse I wouldnt want something to remind me of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

How about some proper children's rights instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way but If I was a victim of physical or sexual abuse I wouldnt want something to remind me of it

But there are churches all over the country? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A fucking garden?

For fuck sake.

How about they do something proper, like hold accountable those responsible for the abuse and those who aided it's cover up? Like removing the limitations in compensation that they let the Church off with? Like something proper, instead of planting a few fucking trees & flowers?

"Journey of Light", my hole. What a shower of contemptuous cunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

They could use the money to provide counselling instead.
    Abuse victims don't need reminding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    But there are churches all over the country? :confused:

Were they built as a memorial to child abuse specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If the Gov want to do something about the legacy of child abuse they should

1) Get the Church to pay up what it said it would
    2) Stop contributing to abuse claims, make the Church pay every cent
    3) Start getting the Church out of every school in this country
    4) Sever any links it has with the CC
    5) Hunt the perpetrators down the way the Nazi's were and get them prosecuted

Although the design is nice, I think its somewhat sad that tourists will come to look at this garden and they will be forever reminded how sick we were as a country that so many people in power could do such evil to little children, and cover it up for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Were they built as a memorial to child abuse specifically?

Of course not. But they surely serve as daily reminders to more people than this garden will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Johro wrote: »
    They could use the money to provide counselling instead.
    Abuse victims don't need reminding.

I want to thank this a million times. The people fucked up by sexual abuse aren't going to be less fucked up because of a meaningless gesture. They're just going to be fucked up and sitting in a garden that memorialises their trauma. Who in the hell thought this was a good idea?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Does anyone else also think that it should not be near the Garden of Remembrance?

The Garden of Remembrance is memorial to great men and women of the past.
    I can't see why in its near shadow, another that is so very close, brought into creation, comes about because of perverts and liars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why aren't we getting a memorial garden for the hundreds who die from road deaths each year, or the "Institutional" Irish abuse of alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Why aren't we getting a memorial garden for the hundreds who die from road deaths each year, or the "Institutional" Irish abuse of alcohol?

Because neither are anything to celebrate or memorialise? :/

ETA: It's just occurred to me that you were joking. Time for bed.

Advertisement