Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog horn back??

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Was it my imagination or was there a loud fog horn sounding tonight :confused:
    It's been a while since the last blast, so it may have stopped now; fingers crossed

I thought the whole thing was supposed to have been done away with a year or two ago...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sorry it was me, Peas and Onions for Dinner ;)

Seriously thought didn't hear it.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Maybe you should have posted this in the sailing forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I heard it once today but I thought that was from a ship & not the good old fog horn that everyone misses.

I have yet to meet a person who thinks it was a good idea to end that tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I could here a foghorn from Sutton yesterday, tbh I hadn't noticed it was gone before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Morlar wrote: »
    I heard it once today but I thought that was from a ship & not the good old fog horn that everyone misses.
    I think the Stena ferry makes a similar noise entering and exiting Dun Laoghaire
    ... that everyone misses.
    I have yet to meet a person who thinks it was a good idea to end that tradition.
    Do people really miss it, even in it's ghastly post-midnight incarnations? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

And I use to work in the Dunlaoghaire Lighthouse service and once knew every moving part in the fog horn at the end of the East Pier.

Often I would wake up and hear the signal off tune at dawn before I would get up and knowing that I would have to go out and sort the problem later on in the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

I did a google search to see if there was anything else about it, thought I heard something myself. Anyway, the search brought me back here to boards! Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056709871 could it be that? :)

No, not mine, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Large passenger luxury liner went out last night, Queen Elizabeth I think it was called... it gave a few huge blasts as it went.
    Sadly not the old foghorn... bring it back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

anybody hear anything this morning. I am sure I heard a foghorn at regular intervals at around 6.30am. Not as loud as the old one and shorter blasts. Dreaming maybe...l

• Advertisement

Yes, I was hearing it too... very misty on the east coast this morning; certainly sounds like the foghorn is back, I hope so anyway!

Heard things last night ~1am, first sounded very faint, but then another was medium-loud. Wonder if some of these sounds could be coming from UK coast - do they have any active sirens?

the ones this morning were deffo local...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

When the fog/mist is as bad as it was last night and this morning they have to sound it cause the ships would not see the light house.

Its auto just like the light house.

Strange

According to an Irish Times article:
    "THE LAST remaining foghorns around the 7,800km coastline have been switched off “officially” by the Commissioners of Irish Lights and several harbour boards.
    However, should a blanket of cloud descend over Fastnet rock it may be that passing craft will still hear a ghostly warning sound from the fog signals for some time yet."

(Can't read further without payment)

Seems to imply only the Fastnet horn is still active(?)

Yup the automatic foghorns were turned off in January a year ago or so I think it was, apparently on the basis that modern vessels are equipped with sat nav and computerized navigation aids which render the horns obsolete. How and ever... there was most definitely a foghorn on the go this morning in Dublin. And it was nice to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

There was an unmistakenable fog horn last night. Heard it in Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I'm from Clare,but I remember hearing the Dunlaire fog horns, when we used to go on holidays and catch the ferry.
    We used to stay in a b&b the night before and those cool foggy mornings always turned into warm sunny days.
    Memories ill never forget

Advertisement