Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of my latest work, Drifting (car racing)

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi there,

Made some vids recently, one in particular became a semi documentary type thing about a group of irish guys that went to the uk to race.

It mightn't be perfect but just seeing if it keeps your interest as you watch them!

I know I could do with an external mic but that will hopefully come very soon!

First vid, Friday in England, this was a practice day plus qualifying at the end:
    https://vimeo.com/44795000

Second part includes interviews and actual finals.
    https://vimeo.com/46082857

Lastly, This was a promo that I did for one of Irelands top drivers, it was for his sponsors really and to promote them for him.
    https://vimeo.com/46151984

So really just want to see that if someone wasnt really interested in drifting, do these keep you peeled for the duration and any C&C that may be available as these were my first proper jobs really!

Thanks,

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

As someone who is only interested in drifting as something interesting to watch I can tell you I thoroughly enjoyed these videos! What cameras did you use other than the GoPros?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

CJKeane wrote: »
    As someone who is only interested in drifting as something interesting to watch I can tell you I thoroughly enjoyed these videos! What cameras did you use other than the GoPros?

Thanks mate, I'm using a 5Dmkii with sigma 70-200 and canon 24-105. have a nifty fifty too but havn't used it in a while. Then I only have one gopro and some of the footage caught on james' promo was with his HD Hero 2, big difference to my one.!

Need to get a 2nd camera as I am limited to only 25fps.

Although, if anyone could help, how does this magic lantern work, is it any good and any great gains? what will it give me more than i already have?

cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ML boots along side the canon firmware. The bit that caught me out is that you need to match the firmware on your camera to the ML version. There has been alot of work on ML over the last while and it split into 2 versions for a while. One that only supported the likes of the 550D and one that only supported the 5D MkII. There is a new unified version (2.3) that supports both BUT it sonly available if you have donated to the ML project. It becomes free on Aug 13th.

ML gives you some nice stuff around adio level controls, control over external audio in and outs. You can combine ML with a special cable to get audio monitoring/headphones working for example. There are features to show you whats over/under exposed in your shot, zooming parts of the screen to help you focus. You can override default recoding length to extend recoding up to 30mins. You need to play with it a bit to see what works for you.

The beauty of it is it doesn't overwrite anything in your camera. You load it up from your CF card and once you pull the battery out of the camera ML is gone until you load it again. loading it involves putting a couple of files in the root of the CF card and doing a firmware upgrade in the camera menu. This causes ML to load and you access ML by hitting the printer button.

You can downgrade the firmware on your 5D to what ever version you need to match up with ML without any negative effects. There are links knocking around on the ML site to older canon firmware versions.

Worth noting as well that the GoPro Hero2's are getting a free Pro firmware that bots the bit rate to 35mbit and turns off sharpening and colour treatment in camera giving you a nice flat colour correctable video. I picked up the wifi bacpac recently and it lets you control the camera as if you had it in your hands. Very handy for setting up the camera on car then you can walk away and turn on/off the camera and start/stop recording for a few hindred meters away. You can change the setting and modes as well (anything you can do while holding the camera you can do from the remote) The app there releasing to go with it should make it even more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm not a big drifting fan, I'm almost at the stage of hating it.. Nothing to do with your videos I just don't think it's a Motorsport.. :pac:

The 1st one is good if your into watching drifting, that is once you get past all the getting to the track stuff, which I skipped as it's pretty irrelevant to anyone that wasn't there.

The second one: Interviews with drifters... skipped.

The third one is the best of them because it's more interesting to watch. The only thing I didn't like and it was a bit of a running theme throughout the 3 videos is it dragged on a bit to long. There was plenty of bits we just didn't need to see and about half way through I got the feeling I'd seen about as much of it as I wanted to see. I stayed to the end though.

Everything else is fine, but I think you could easily edit the videos down to half they're length, if your into drifting you probably like the longer video but lay people you have to invest to much time into it.

Advertisement