Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Intermittent Power Faults.

• 24-07-2012 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a client who is having awful problems with the power dropping to the business premises about once every couple of weeks.. For periods of about of 5 mins to 1 hour...

Every time it goes down it causes issues for the PC systems, with some not booting, some needing an IT professional to carry out work to get them back up and running.

I have the options of
    a) getting a generator.
    b) putting UPS systems on seven PCs
    c) finding some way of tackling the ESB (who have not done anything about the issue so far, in spite of us repeatedly asking/telling them)

Is there any approach that I can use to "socially engineer" the situation to a conclusion with the ESB? Should I suggest not paying the bill? Are they in breach of their contract to supply power?

At a loss here, any suggestions would be helpful.. thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is there any approach that I can use to "socially engineer" the situation to a conclusion with the ESB?

Make contact with ESB Networks here:
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/home/contact_us.jsp

Here is an extract from that page:

"Please call this number for queries relating to new network connections, increased connection capacity, meter relocation, alterations to lines /cables, voltage problems, power quality queries etc."

Should I suggest not paying the bill?
    No.

Are they in breach of their contract to supply power?

Possibly. I would suggest that you check everything your end first.

ESB Networks commit to delivering single phase supplies within a voltage range of 207 Volts to 253 Volts. This is in accordance with European Standard EN50160.

You can read more about this here

Installing a UPS is not going to fix the problem, at best it will treat the symptons.

Advertisement