Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoom H1 recorder or DSLR Stereo mic

Options
  • 24-07-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Just came across this as maybe a cheaper option to a stereo mic.

Am going to be wanting to do interviews so would this be an option or what you think? theres loads of accessories for this too so could be a nice alternative??

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 r3dr00m

Personaly? External sound recorder with an option to mount on a camera. My choice would be Zoom H4N rather than H1.

H1 doesn't have XLR ports, so you can forget about connecting any serious mic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd agree with r3dr00m, you'd be better off with something with XLR inputs. I use a Tascam DR-40 and it's a good bit cheaper than the H4n for basically the same thing - XLRs, Phantom Power, etc. It can be mounted on the camera or used for interviews - I keep it on the camera and have a mic on a boom running from it. It has a nice feature for interviews too, you can record a second track with less gain, which is really good for those people who talk REALLY LOUD when you're checking levels, then get very quiet when the interview starts.

If you're trying to save money it's not a huge amount more than a H1 and it allows you to upgrade much easier later on. Lovely sound too - better than the Zoom H2 I was using before, though not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Thanks for your help, didnt think about hooking a mike to the zoom then.

While you have it on your camera, is there a wire from it to the camera so you can use it as the mic rather than the onboard mike or does it record seperately and have to align them on pp?

Just making sure I'd be better to get one of these over a regular DSLR Mic?

Thanks for the feedback though, keep it coming with your best ideas.

Cheers,

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 r3dr00m

I use mine Zoom as separately source of sound. Easiest way is like you say, to use DSLR input as a reference. I use clapper and and align them in Premiere afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Other thing about a Zoom is you have muti channel recording. You can do things like record at different levels on deferent channels giving you the option to switch the audio to another channel in post production if you peak out on the main channel. The h4N has 4 channels (2 on board mics and 2 input channels). Another option is a preamp with XLR in and mini jack out with a decent XLR mic on top.

I have a Sennheiser MKE 400 on my 5D MkII. Its better then the built in mic but it doesn't work miracles. THe Rhode mic's seem to be the pic of the DSLR mics but I got the Sennheiser for a bargin price on adverts.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Rew wrote: »
    Other thing about a Zoom is you have muti channel recording. You can do things like record at different levels on deferent channels giving you the option to switch the audio to another channel in post production if you peak out on the main channel. The h4N has 4 channels (2 on board mics and 2 input channels). Another option is a preamp with XLR in and mini jack out with a decent XLR mic on top.

I have a Sennheiser MKE 400 on my 5D MkII. Its better then the built in mic but it doesn't work miracles. THe Rhode mic's seem to be the pic of the DSLR mics but I got the Sennheiser for a bargin price on adverts.ie :D

Couldn't agree more on the pre-amp. You'll notice a gigantic difference in levels and sound quality. I had a field mixer connected to the Zoom H4 and found the overall quality a lot easier to read and manage.

The rodes are handy enough for their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I just got a Zoom H1 and am quite impressed, also have a H4n and the audio quality seems quite similar. The build quality of the H1 is not as good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TNS Radio

I have a zoom Q3HD wonderful bit of kit ... but no xlr inputs which is a shame ... that said the sound quality is fantastic and it takes a 16gb sd card with no issues .... hope that helps

Advertisement