Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Silva v Ireland - Class goal or rubbish defending?

• 24-07-2012 2:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Hey, I know most of you probably dread looking back at anything to do with Ireland in Euro 2012 but look at this

On the one hand it's a great goal (maybe the best of Euro 2012) no doubt but on the other it's the worst defending you will ever see at that level IMO (including Shay Given for putting it straight at Silva's feet). Look at St Ledger - what is he doing there going away from the ball falling all over the place? I'd say most on here would have done better in all honesty. I fear for us in the qualifiers. So laxidasical our defenders can be including Richard Dunne.

What do you think - great goal or crap defending? He has put it through 3 defenders legs. The goal is being lauded as one of the best of the tournament. I am more inclined toward shoddiest defending of the tournament.

Telling that Silva celebrates like he has just scored against the Faroe Islands.

Good goal? 25 votes

Great goal
    0% 0 votes
    Crap defending
    20% 5 votes
    I'm so embarrassed I can't even watch it
    80% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Crap player, crap defending, crap goal.

Am I doing it right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Xavi6 wrote: »

Silva is a crap player:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Needs more Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Terrible defending with a skillful player taking advantage of it. Whoever rates it as one of the best didnt watch much of the tournament imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

darkman2 wrote: »
    Silva is a crap player:confused:

Nah of course not, just seeing if you'd notice.

It's a mixture of awful defending and good vision to spot the gap and finish. Who lauded it as one of the best of the tournament btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pretty normal goal IMO. Nothing really special which makes it stand out from any other. As mentioned he does well to find the gap I guess.

Embarrassing stuff from Shay Given by the way, what an awful tournament he had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Who lauded it as one of the best of the tournament btw?

A Spanish (surprise) newspaper. That's how I found the vid. UEFA are anal about any vids on youtube of play from Euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Crap defending all over the pitch, tidy finish using the players bodies to unsight Given.

Decent goal with good invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Still can't believe Paul Green got a run out in that game :(

SantryRed wrote: »
    Still can't believe Paul Green got a run out in that game :(

Neither can Paul Green. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Where is the option for both?

It was an extremely skillful finish following some keystone cops defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I can still only watch this trough my fingers. As Giles always says 'you can only beat who is in front of you' and in that respect he took it well, but that does not lessen to any extent our utterly horrendous attempts at defending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

darkman2 wrote: »
    Telling that Silva celebrates like he has just scored against the Faroe Islands.

Says it all, doesn't it?

EDIT: 'Low Lie the Fields....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Crap defending, and just as crap goalkeeping, shocking punch. Given really showed his age in the Euro's, he's lost a valuable half second in his reactions, which is everything to a shot stopper like Given. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Westwood start of the WC Qualifying campaign in goals.

Nailz wrote: »
    Crap defending, and just as crap goalkeeping, shocking punch. Given really showed his age in the Euro's, he's lost a valuable half second in his reactions, which is everything to a shot stopper like Given. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Westwood start of the WC Qualifying campaign in goals.

I think Given wasnt fit enough, which begs the question should he have been started at all?

I think a fully fit Given should start over a fully fit Westwood every day of the week. We'll see this season if Given has lost some of his reflexes and reaction speeds but for me Given has to start the WCQ, hes been our best and most consistent performer for some time for club and country.

For what its worth I think with Westwood as number 2, we're served fairly well in the goalkeeper department and hes a more then capable replacement who can step up if Given is out or when he decides to hang up the gloves for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Am I doing it right?

I see you're from the Eamonn Dunphy school of punditry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jesus first time I really have watched it properly from that type of camera view. It looked soft in the stadium, but not that soft.

Silva does well, but it's playground stuff for him really.

Nowhere near the best goal of the tournament. Not even the best goal in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Since the euros I've seen a fair few goals in the LOI better than that. It was terrible defending by our crap defenve and out of form keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus Christ.

How many more pages are we going to dedicate to Ireland's participation in the Euros?

The same defenders and keeper did very well to keep a multitude of clean sheets in the past number of years (beating whats on front of you etc) and haven't suddenly turned crap overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

dan1895 wrote: »
    Since the euros I've seen a fair few goals in the LOI better than that. It was terrible defending by our crap defenve and out of form keeping.

Post them up so, btw I dont believe you for a second.

• Advertisement
Advertisement