Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bed wetting

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I try not to compare when I got my daughter from wetting the bed, but jebus! For the longest and I mean a while now ive tried waking my 4 year old son up to take at pee 2am, 6am or any time between those hours, limiting drinks 2 hours before bedtime but he wont or can't wake himself to go by himself. He will start preschool next month and I'm just so frustrated on why is it taking so long for him to wake up himself to go to the toilet? Any suggestions? I wake him and make him walk by himself to the toilet, I don't belittle him or anything. I tell him he will get it soon enough. If you've done anything different and its worked, please let me know. :) hes as quick as a whip, just tough poor guy. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My fella is still wetting the bed at 5,5 years. it could go on till his 11 or 12. You cant cure him its a natural process and it takes longer with some kids. My guy wets the bed around once a week it used to be every night up until march. I have 2 protectors on the bed, and strip it off as needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have to agree. Toilet training, especially night training, is different for everyone. If it goes beyond 7 years of age then I'd get him checked by a doctor but as long as he's day trained the night training will come. If he's agreeable I'd ask him would he wear a pull up to bed, would save on the accidents. You'll notice him getting dry at night. My daughter night trained about 4 months after she day trained, I just noticed the pull ups getting drier and drier until they were still dry in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi

there is a device that a family member had as a child and i have passed it on to others since and it has worked.

It an electronic unit with a tiny sensor that goes inside the underwear connected to a little buzzer and the slightest bit of wet sets off the buzzer and the child will wake.

Hi

there is a device that a family member had as a child and i have passed it on to others since and it has worked.

It an electronic unit with a tiny sensor that goes inside the underwear connected to a little buzzer and the slightest bit of wet sets off the buzzer and the child will wake.

Thats for children over 7, not for 3 or 4 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

my neighbours daughter is 4 and used it this year and was a success

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cynder wrote: »
    My fella is still wetting the bed at 5,5 years. it could go on till his 11 or 12. You cant cure him its a natural process and it takes longer with some kids. My guy wets the bed around once a week it used to be every night up until march. I have 2 protectors on the bed, and strip it off as needs be.

I was listening to a guy who has a a clinic in the midlands about this last week. I think it was on newstalk.

At 5 1/2 your son needs help to deal with it. Have you spoken to your gp to get a referral?

cynder wrote: »

I was listening to a guy who has a a clinic in the midlands about this last week. I think it was on newstalk.

At 5 1/2 your son needs help to deal with it. Have you spoken to your gp to get a referral?

OF course phn, gp, consultant, I have they all say it's pretty normal till age 7 then if we want to he can me medicated and or use the electronic wake up system.

His a happy little boy, I don't make a big deal of it. His bladder will strengthen as he gets older. He doesn't need any treatment. The only help he needs is emotional and physcological. He has no need to worry or be embarrassed as I'm chilled out over it his only 5 not 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My brother wet the bed until he was 11.

He has a PhD now.

It is not a big deal. Do NOT make it one for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

Thank you all for your responses. I do see he doesn't wet as much. I'll continue to give himself time but if ever feel worried that he hasn't, I will speak to his doctor. Plastic under the sheets and to keep waking him up is the best for now!

Advertisement