Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incorrect racial abuse?

• 24-07-2012 6:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Ok so I work In the hospitality industry.. And had a bit of a weird situation a couple of days ago.. I was working as a night porter and was dealing with a fairly inebriated woman, trying to get her a taxi home..after trying several times to get my point across without success that there were no taxis answering at the time and I'd try in a few mins she stormed off.. I went on with my business and the overheard her to her friend describing me as a f*****g foreigner. I though this was quite funny cobsiderIng I was born in ireland to Irish parents and have lived in Ireland all my life.. But I was thinking after That i was racially abused by this woman as as far as she was concerned I was foregin and was somewhat less able because of that fact..And although it wasn't directly to me it was describing me in a derogatory way as being foregin.

I will say that I get that misconception quite a bit as I have a stammer and do get asked where I am from or what part of Poland am I from quite often to which I reply "Tá mé na héireann", which usually gets me a look of confusion or a "what?"
    But what's your opinion on the situation, I feel racism is somewhat a part of Irish life unwillingly taken on as part of our culture handed down from generations ago, something that we don't consider as racism but just normal behaviour but can be interpreted that way In cases.. Growing up it was always

"Eeny, meena, mina, mo,
    Catch a n****r by the toe
    If he squeals let him go,
    Eena, meena, mina, mo"

and that was accepted without any thought or without being derogatory in Any way..

.. I don't condone racism nor like or accept it but I think that in the general day to day life we can make comments that can be interpreted as racism where to us it's just something our parents or grandparents used to say without taking thay literal meaming but i still think in ghr context that the woman meant it as prejudice.
    Do you think that I was racially abused?

The woman is local and i'm thinking of confronting her on the matter..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's eney meenie minney moe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

You mean there's correct racial abuse?

Why haven't I heard of this before??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

you walked in their shoes for two minutes and you think you know what it feels like to be racially abused, try being Irish, then you would know how it feels,

it grates on me people who are not Irish but think they are Irish and want to be Polish, just be yourself for once, the gratification is humongous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

U_Fig wrote: »
    overheard her to her friend describing me as a f*****g foreigner

No, but i do think that woman was an idiot.

Hasmunch wrote: »
    No, but i do think that woman was an idiot.

I agree, everybody knows you will not get a taxi at that hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

you walked in their shoes for two minutes and you think you know what it feels like to be racially abused, try being Irish, then you would know how it feels,

it grates on me people who are not Irish but think they are Irish and want to be Polish, just be yourself for once, the gratification is humongous.

What is your problem? The Op said he was born in Ireland and grew up here. What else do you need to be Irish? Pure Irish blood, preferably inbred over centuries?

What is your problem? The Op said he was born in Ireland and grew up here. What else do you need to be Irish? Pure Irish blood, preferably inbred over centuries?

you think that is all you need? what about the green suit and the pointy hat ehhh,

so fooking quick to forget where we really come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ok so I work In the hospitality industry.. And had a bit of a weird situation a couple of days ago.. I was working as a night porter and was dealing with a fairly inebriated woman, trying to get her a taxi home..after trying several times to get my point across without success that there were no taxis answering at the time and I'd try in a few mins she stormed off.. I went on with my business and the overheard her to her friend describing me as a f*****g foreigner. I though this was quite funny cobsiderIng I was born in ireland to Irish parents and have lived in Ireland all my life.. But I was thinking after That i was racially abused by this woman as as far as she was concerned I was foregin and was somewhat less able because of that fact..And although it wasn't directly to me it was describing me in a derogatory way as being foregin.

I will say that I get that misconception quite a bit as I have a stammer and do get asked where I am from or what part of Poland am I from quite often to which I reply "Tá mé na héireann", which usually gets me a look of confusion or a "what?"
    But what's your opinion on the situation, I feel racism is somewhat a part of Irish life unwillingly taken on as part of our culture handed down from generations ago, something that we don't consider as racism but just normal behaviour but can be interpreted that way In cases.. Growing up it was always

"Eeny, meena, mina, mo,
    Catch a n****r by the toe
    If he squeals let him go,
    Eena, meena, mina, mo"

and that was accepted without any thought or without being derogatory in Any way..

.. I don't condone racism nor like or accept it but I think that in the general day to day life we can make comments that can be interpreted as racism where to us it's just something our parents or grandparents used to say without taking thay literal meaming but i still think in ghr context that the woman meant it as prejudice.

The woman is local and i'm thinking of confronting her on the matter..

Don't let it get to you. That woman is just a drunken slapper and one of the ignorant chavs that are to be found everywhere in Ireland. Too thick even to understand that taxis are sometimes busy and you can't always get one within minutes. It would be nice to know how many members of her own extended family are living abroad - and making a show of the Irish if they are anything like nearly as cretinous as her.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

However, it is way past time people copped on and realised that the kinds of sayings they heard from their parents or grandparents - some of whom may well have never seen a black person in the lives or had much to do with people from other countries - are just not on in this day and age.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

you think that is all you need? what about the green suit and the pointy hat ehhh,

Well tell me then, what do you need to be considered Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

It pisses me off. I'm from Pakistan and I've been living in Ireland literally living here for the past 14 years out of 15 years of my life and people think I just moved....bulls***.....

• Advertisement

Well tell me then, what do you need to be considered Irish?

You need to be tall and wide at the shoulders, you need to be uplifting and full of the doingness, you need to be aggressive while giving a cuddle at the same time.

but most of all your mother and father need to be cousins.

It pisses me off. I'm from Pakistan and I've been living in Ireland literally living here for the past 14 years out of 15 years of my life and people think I just moved....bulls***.....

sorry, but I am not getting this, why exactly would they think you moved bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

You need to be tall and wide at the shoulders, you need to be uplifting and full of the doingness, you need to be aggressive while giving a cuddle at the same time.

but most of all your mother and father need to be cousins.
    What kind of stupid, insulting and trollish statement is that?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

sorry, but I am not getting this, why exactly would they think you moved bull****.
    It's bull**** that they think I just moved.........

SocSocPol wrote: »
    What kind of stupid, insulting and trollish statement is that?:mad:

I was asked a question, I answered it, what kind of person are you to belittle my answer, who are you to judge me,

I might not be the sharpest knife in the box, but I am still in the box and part of that collective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've never heard of anyone thinking they're Irish but wanting to be Polish.

ejmaztec wrote: »

I kinda got mixed up there sorry, I meant Polish wanting to be Scottish.

I kinda got mixed up there sorry, I meant Polish wanting to be Scottish.

Never came across that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Every reply here has been geeetarded. Does nobody get what the OP is saying? He was accosted by a drunken Irish woman. Welcome to Ireland. Not racism on her part just inebriated stupidity. Get over yourself mate. If you feel vindicated, then it's your fault. If you are a night porter, doesn't that come with the territory? Imagine a Garda going on boards and moaning that some drunk called him a pig. Cries himself to sleep every night over it...or every Taxi driver who put up with a drunk wagon...much like the one you were going to put in a Taxi...every black driver out there having to put up with slurred banality from Jacinta.

Been a lot of crap about racism recently...Daley Thompson and all that. It's all crap. Irish are impervious to psychoanalysis...and racism. We laugh in the face of racism. And so should every other race if they have any sense of self.

If a limey calls us a paddy, who gives a toss? It's precisely this not giving a sh*t that means we are a fine nation. If however you try to oppress us, well then we're gonna fight.

If you, OP, are mistaken for Polish...who cares? I think there is a misconception between racism and neighbourly banter. You know we have the englishman, irishman and scotsman jokes....in the benelux they have dutchman, belgian and french jokes...It's all about getting one over on your neighbour. Big bleedin deal...sick of everyone shouting racism at he drop of a hat. There's whites, blacks, yellows, browns, blues all over the world and light hearted jest is grand between us all...just as we would take the piss out of our mates in school...we're all in this together and we need a laugh at each other now and again. If however it falls in the category of serious racism like "exterminate" some group, then there's a problem.
    Don' waste your time being offended, just get on with it.

Off topic there but OP, was it really worth posting this? I have had much worse from Irish women, drunk or not.

Never came across that either.

Yes I know, I am a bit of a mess today, I was up all night with my frog, it just had pups, I knew I should never of left them two alone.

• Advertisement

Arpa wrote: »
    Every reply here has been geeetarded. Does nobody get what the OP is saying? He was accosted by a drunken Irish woman. Welcome to Ireland. Not racism on her part just inebriated stupidity. Get over yourself mate. If you feel vindicated, then it's your fault. If you are a night porter, doesn't that come with the territory? Imagine a Garda going on boards and moaning that some drunk called him a pig. Cries himself to sleep every night over it...or every Taxi driver who put up with a drunk wagon...much like the one you were going to put in a Taxi...every black driver out there having to put up with slurred banality from Jacinta.

Been a lot of crap about racism recently...Daley Thompson and all that. It's all crap. Irish are impervious to psychoanalysis...and racism. We laugh in the face of racism. And so should every other race if they have any sense of self.

If a limey calls us a paddy, who gives a toss? It's precisely this not giving a sh*t that means we are a fine nation. If however you try to oppress us, well then we're gonna fight.

If you, OP, are mistaken for Polish...who cares? I think there is a misconception between racism and neighbourly banter. You know we have the englishman, irishman and scotsman jokes....in the benelux they have dutchman, belgian and french jokes...It's all about getting one over on your neighbour. Big bleedin deal...sick of everyone shouting racism at he drop of a hat. There's whites, blacks, yellows, browns, blues all over the world and light hearted jest is grand between us all...just as we would take the piss out of our mates in school...we're all in this together and we need a laugh at each other now and again. If however it falls in the category of serious racism like "exterminate" some group, then there's a problem.

Off topic there but OP, was it really worth posting this? I have had much worse from Irish women, drunk or not.

To be fair the people in Avatar were from a different world.

Wait. I get it now. 3andahalf is trying to be funny. Failing miserably, but trying hard all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

To be fair the people in Avatar were from a different world.

Fair point...though...paddy Englishman, paddy Irishman and paddy Navi doesn't have the same ring to it.

gatecrash wrote: »
    Wait. I get it now. 3andahalf is trying to be funny. Failing miserably, but trying hard all the same.

He could be Lee Evans getting a sweat on.

He could be Lee Evans getting a sweat on.

Same thing innit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Arpa wrote: »
    Every reply here has been geeetarded. ..............

As a female I am so not offended by your clumsy attempt to combine gee, the Dublin slang for vagina, with retarded to indicate your contempt for the posters on this thread. Instead, I'm taking it as you just having a friendly, lighthearted jest at the expense of the fairer sex.

Fair play, I am of to work now, for some reason I woke up an hour early and had the giddy head on me, but now that I am outed, on top of failing miserably, it is time to close this chapter of my life.

Same thing innit??

That's what I was getting at, innit. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Hi Op,

First board this morning ,still waking up. My Simple advice is to sleep on what you are thinking of doing and reconsider your options afterwards . The world is full of idiots .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are ye from Louth, or something?

=-=

OP; don't bother saying anything to the old hag, as she's probably the sort that will try to get you into trouble in your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I from quite often to which I reply "Tá mé na héireann",

which usually gets me a look of confusion or a "what?"

I am the Ireland :confused: No wonder they're confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Ok first of all my Irish speaking skills are moderate at best.. Also I don't give a flying f**k if some old bag calls be a few names

I posted this thread not looking for sympathy but to get people's opinion on the matter, i can see by some of the replays the ignorance of some people about what is a problem for so many foregin people living here in Ireland where a person comes to what is described by our tourist board as " the land of 100,000 welcomes" only to get abuse from some old woman who can't even tell where you are from just labels you foregin because she thinks you are stupid.. If I contacted her it would be in the hope that such an incident would not happen to anyone else as sone people may take offence to it and unfortunately this has happened many times to me and foregin people I work with..I just used that as an example..

I find it kind of sad that people's first reaction is to slate me for mentioning it and telling me to get over it ect...rather than focusing on the problem that exists far too much for my liking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

unless your surname has an o or a mac in it your nothing but a blow in:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Go mad at her op. Give her all the reasons why shes wrong.

I was on the luas yesterday and some little skanger (tracksuit bottoms tucked into his socks, Burberry cap at a 90 degree angle on his head... You know the type) shouted at a black guy who was wearing a snazzy suit that accidentally bumped into him. "will you watch where you're goin ya monkey knacker, go back to your own country and get a job so you can stop robbing our dole and jobs!!". The guy turned to the knack ball and says "I'm from Tallaght you filthy little prick, I own my own law practice which gives people jobs and I earn more in a year than you ever will. who's the knacker now?" black guy got a round of applause and the scrote had no comeback so he just got off the Luas. Humanity 1 - scumbags 0

Racism will never go away. This is the sad truth. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah, a comrade night porter, hello Sir

When the taxis aren't answering hand the list and the reception phone to the drunk and let them book their own damn taxi.

As when the taximan is late or delayed they'll blame you

Booking taxis was a part of the job I hated.

If they book it themselves that's their own problem

• Advertisement

A friend of mine was walking by a black guy that lives on his road.
    my mate said to him "whats the craic"
    the black guys goes "what up cracker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Sickening, horrifying, appalling etc. etc.

Speaking of racial abuse, why no mention of this racial attack on this native Irish lad in the media?

http://kieranbroderick.tumblr.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

IrishAm wrote: »

Speaking of racial abuse, why no mention of this racial attack on this native Irish lad in the media?

Where does it say the motive was racial ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I am pie wrote: »
    Where does it say the motive was racial ?

It doesn't

• Advertisement

Poles are very proud people as well they should be, beautiful country. Ive never met one that wanted to be anything other than Polish.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It doesn't

Three blacks bait the bollix out of some white dude, not racial.

If the roles were reversed it would be plastered all over the media and reported as a race hate crime.

The double standards are highly amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You assume because the attacker was black and the victim was white that it was a racial attack? He even says that another guy had been robbed by them a few seconds earlier, so clearly these guys were just your run of the mill scumbags out mugging people.

seamus wrote: »
    You assume because the attacker was black and the victim was white that it was a racial attack?

Just doing what the media/quangos do when the roles are reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just doing what the media/quangos do when the roles are reversed.
    Have you any evidence of cases where a clearly scumbaggery attack was painted out to be a hate crime by the Irish media?

Or are you just getting all worked up over nothing?

I think you'll find that the Irish media aren't quite as biaised as you might like to think:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/race-hate-gang-in-temple-bar-orgy-of-violence-2815510.html

Have you any evidence of cases where a clearly scumbaggery attack was painted out to be a hate crime by the Irish media?

The lad from West Dublin. Toyosi. The first "victim" of a "racial murder", stabbed with his own knife.

I think you'll find that the Irish media aren't quite as biaised as you might like to think:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/race-hate-gang-in-temple-bar-orgy-of-violence-2815510.html

I posted a thread on p.ie about that. The Indo reported their ethnicity of the perps and 24 hours later, removed any mention of it on their online site.

I can link to it if you don't believe me.

The Herald was the only paper not to remove the attackers ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are you saying the 15 year old owned the knife?

He was a young football player as I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

The lad from West Dublin. Toyosi. The first "victim" of a "racial murder", stabbed with his own knife.
    Evidence for that claim?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Are you saying the 15 year old owned the knife?

He was a young football player as I remember

One of the accused died so the court case was delayed. Wait for the court case for the truth to come out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement