Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incorrect racial abuse?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Every report I've read said the two attackers owned the knife

I've never heard this at all that the young lad had the knife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

IrishAm wrote: »
    One of the accused died so the court case was delayed. Wait for the court case for the truth to come out.
    So you accept the matter is sub judice and as such by boards rules should not be discussed. No evidence that victim ever had a knife btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

A young Irish immigrant is recovering after a brutal assault in the Bronx last weekend.

The Meath native was attacked by a lone male assailant shortly before 4 a.m. in the early hours of Saturday morning on Katonah Avenue in Woodlawn, as she and her friend walked the short distance home from a night out.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-woman-victim-of-vicious-assault-in-the-Bronx-162844286.html#ixzz21YfH7xaN

No mention of the ethnicity. On the American news the girl stated the attacker was a black male. Will the media report that? Would it be a hate crime if the roles were reversed?

Course it fucking would. Double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

No mention of scumbags in this article but still it's about people getting racism wrong.

"David Hayes has been forced to amend the name to Lady Blackman despite the horse being named after renowned Australian artist Charles Blackman.

The name of the two-year-old, whose father is Excellent Art, had to be changed after RISA, the organisation which controls the registration and naming of horses, received one complaint.

"The name itself is a surname and certainly respected the connection back to the artist Charles Blackman but RISA also found that where the name is not used without the known context back to a surname it could be construed as being offensive," said RISA spokesman Myles Foreman."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

U_Fig wrote: »
    quite often to which I reply "Tá mé na héireann", which usually gets me a look of confusion or a "what?"

I could understand the confusion, it's like no Irish I've ever come across.
    Sounds more like something you'd get from Google Translate?

What you want to say is "is Éireannach mé"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I could understand the confusion, it's like no Irish I've ever come across.
    Sounds more like something you'd get from Google Translate?

What you want to say is "is Éireannach mé"

Nice but to add some extra ping the op could say- is mise 'name' mac an striapach as in "is mise 'sean' mac an striapach."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-woman-victim-of-vicious-assault-in-the-Bronx-162844286.html#ixzz21YfH7xaN

No mention of the ethnicity. On the American news the girl stated the attacker was a black male. Will the media report that? Would it be a hate crime if the roles were reversed?

Course it fucking would. Double standards.

Why are you trying so hard to make it a racist incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

to which I reply "Tá mé na héireann", which usually gets me a look of confusion or a "what?"

Not surprised really because that phrase 'as Gaeilge' that you're using doesn't actually mean anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Arpa wrote: »
    It's all about getting one over on your neighbour. Big bleedin deal...sick of everyone shouting racism at he drop of a hat. There's whites, blacks, yellows, browns, blues all over the world and light hearted jest is grand between us all...just as we would take the piss out of our mates in school...we're all in this together and we need a laugh at each other now and again. If however it falls in the category of serious racism like "exterminate" some group, then there's a problem.
    t.

Are you referring to Scottish people at the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The lad from West Dublin. Toyosi. The first "victim" of a "racial murder", stabbed with his own knife.

You've some source for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

racso1975 wrote: »
    It's eney meenie minney miney moe!
    Now we've got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

OP next time, you get verbally abused and called foreigner reply to them "wypierdalaj kurwo, bo ci urwe leb i nasikam do szyi", what simply means go fcuk yourselve cnout, or I'll take off your head and piss into your neck.
    If you say it with angry mad look and strong russian accent that usually works and makes idiots quiet. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

gatecrash wrote: »
    You mean there's correct racial abuse?

Why haven't I heard of this before??

there are two types of racial abuse.. positive and negative :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    OP next time, you get verbally abused and called foreigner reply to them "wypierdalaj kurwo, bo ci urwe leb i nasikam do szyi", what simply means go fcuk yourselve cnout, or I'll take off your head and piss into your neck.
    "Wiper dallaj kerwow, bo see erwee lebee nasicam do sizzy"

Sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    \
    I was on the luas yesterday and some little skanger (tracksuit bottoms tucked into his socks, Burberry cap at a 90 degree angle on his head... You know the type) shouted at a black guy who was wearing a snazzy suit that accidentally bumped into him. "will you watch where you're goin ya monkey knacker, go back to your own country and get a job so you can stop robbing our dole and jobs!!". The guy turned to the knack ball and says "I'm from Tallaght you filthy little prick, I own my own law practice which gives people jobs and I earn more in a year than you ever will. who's the knacker now?" black guy got a round of applause and the scrote had no comeback so he just got off the Luas. Humanity 1 - scumbags 0
    (

This didnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

...to which I reply "Tá mé na héireann", which usually gets me a look of confusion or a "what?"...

Probably because it doesn't make any sense when translated to English... "I am the Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

I will say that I get that misconception quite a bit as I have a stammer and do get asked where I am from or what part of Poland am I from quite often

i'm just thinking here, what made her assume you were a foreigner.
    The stammer ok maybe just maybe, Poland... Eastern European, do you think yourself you look like a foreigner? Are you blonde/fair with sallow skin?

Is this story true?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I am the Ireland :confused: No wonder they're confused!

:pac: i also smell bull****. the OP is not Irish at all! Many many times i hear Polish people say when going back for their trip home, "i'm going back to 'the' Poland"

dead giveaway :D

One of the accused died so the court case was delayed. Wait for the court case for the truth to come out.
    In other words you have NO, ZERO,ZILCH,NADA, evidence that this poor kid who was stabbed to death was stabbed with his own knife!
    Because no such evidence exists!

It's a shame he didn't take his own advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If I publish my full name(make myself liable, not boards.ie) can I post the actual details of the events that led up to the stabbing?

If I publish my full name(make myself libel, not boards.ie) can I post the actual details of the events that led up to the stabbing?
    Sure, so long as you dont mind both yourself and Boards.ie being in contempt of court as the case is sub judice.

If I publish my full name(make myself liable, not boards.ie) can I post the actual details of the events that led up to the stabbing?

O that would be great. Your anecdote would convince us all and make you a hero.

A general pointer - when people ask for a "source" - they mean a newspaper, news programme, something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I don't think I'll ever fully understand the inconsistent reaction to racism (or, indeed, sexism/homophobia). You can call a person almost any vitriolic name under the sun... insult their family, insult their mother; and it's no problem. A bit of "harmless banter".

But introduce 'black', 'foreign', 'gay' or any female reference, and it's a horrendous slur; and indication of your ignorance and backwardness.

I'm not condoning racism/sexism etc., quite the opposite in fact. I'm wondering why we don't afford all insults the same disapproving reaction?

Isn't it just an arbitrary, dogmatic taboo?

who_me wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever fully understand the inconsistent reaction to racism (or, indeed, sexism/homophobia). You can call a person almost any vitriolic name under the sun... insult their family, insult their mother; and it's no problem. A bit of "harmless banter".

But introduce 'black', 'foreign', 'gay' or any female reference, and it's a horrendous slur; and indication of your ignorance and backwardness.

I'm not condoning racism/sexism etc., quite the opposite in fact. I'm wondering why we don't afford all insults the same disapproving reaction?

Isn't it just an arbitrary, dogmatic taboo?
    Actually It appears that you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

OP as kids we would sing ...

eny, meena, mina, mo,
    Catch a n****r by the toe
    If he squeals let him go,
    Eena, meena, mina, mo"

But that was a different age and time when stuff as such that's now deemed to be ' possibly racist 'wasn't because 4 and 5 year old free spirits didn't really understand racist connotations .

• Meh. Most Irish people I meet tell me I'm not Irish and a fair few try to make out that I'm betraying my roots and trying to be something I'm not. Solely because I have tanned skin and look quite foreign. I'm half English but they're not interested in that, all I get is, 'but where are you REALLY from?' because of the way I look. My great grandparents on my dad's side came from a Mediterranean country. GREAT grandparents, who died long before I was born. I've only visited the country twice, don't speak the language and basically have no connection to it at all. My grandparents on my dad's side were both born in Ireland and my dad's father's family go way back. So basically I'm Irish and I just happen to look more foreign than I actually am, which most people don't seem to be able to understand. The entire time I lived in Ireland, I experienced rude and condescending comments tbh. Usually not out of malice, but just ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Actually It appears that you are

Most. Predictable. Reply. Ever. ;)

No, as I said, my question is why aren't all insults "wrong"? Why is non-racist (non-sexist.. etc.) abuse perfectly acceptable, when racist (sexist.. etc.) abuse is so reviled?

Surely, either you care about offending people, or you don't. The more selective morality seems very strange to me; particularly given how strongly people feel/speak about it.

Advertisement