Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Fitz arrested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what this guy actually did? Was he fiddling books somewhere? Was he the head of a bank? Why does everyone hate him?

The answer to your questions is that he was a very senior executive in Anglo-Irish Bank and is seen as being part responsible for the financial mess the country is in, and it is suspected that he was involved in a form of "fiddling the books". He is suspected of authorising the loaning of €multi-millions to others so they would buy Anglo-Irish bank shares and falsely inflate the value of the bank. It is a criminal offence to do so, as it's akin to a form of insider trading. The bank was taken into state-ownership and is now called the IBRC, Irish Bank Resolution Corporation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Hope they make him surrender his passport too.
    That will put a halt to his globe trotting. (bankrupt?, me hole!)

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Release him onto the land and then hunt him. He gets a chance to get away and live a nice life in a sycamore tree and the people get a chance to run him across the country, corner him and tear him to bits.

Win win.

My personal choice is that he and the others involved in any crookery be placed in stocks at the GPO and the public give them any rotten fruit and veg from Moore St and the fruit & Veg market.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Forsure wrote: »
    Was he trying to get out of the country as quickly as possible on foot of yesterdays detainment of Willie McAteer?

Or just another holiday for the boul' Seanie?

He was arrested coming back from the oul hols, not going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

He was arrested coming back from the oul hols, not going!

At least he'll have a nice tan for big Ron his cell mate.
    Big Ron likes his play things bronzed I've been told. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Release him onto the land and then hunt him. He gets a chance to get away and live a nice life in a sycamore tree and the people get a chance to run him across the country, corner him and tear him to bits.

Win win.

I have visions of Father Jack Hackett during his nude sleepwalking adventures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

the budget is going to be a stinker

That's why they're arresting him as a distraction to appease the voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ilovesleep wrote: »
    If they do get banged up into jail, it's going to cost us, the taxpayer more money.

Yes. We should let criminals go because it costs money to keep them in jail.

Your logic is impeccable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Davidth88 wrote: »
    It will be years before any of these guys see the inside of The Joy

The Joy are you kidding me ? Will be open prison down the country somewhere with their own house, a golf course and a rowing club.
    They'll probably make a reality show out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Assuming he's found guilty of the 16 charges, what's the maximum sentence he could get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Garlic Man 1.6 million of taxpayers money 6 Years in prison
    Fitzpatrick 32 billion of taxpayers money ? Years in prison

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

token101 wrote: »
    Assuming he's found guilty of the 16 charges, what's the maximum sentence he could get?

I think for the guys they charged yesterday the maximum penalty was 5 yrs. They were charged with 16 offences so I suppose technically they could get 80 yrs if convicted on all counts. Although that would be very unlikely considering all 16 charges were very interrelated.

Assuming he gets charged with the same thing he could get the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just heard there he was released on bail and has to sign in at his local Garda station every Wednesday, oh the mortification ha ha.

token101 wrote: »

I heard five years but Im not sure if that would be for everything or per charge, be great if it was the latter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Could be up to 5 years per charge he's found guilty of, but they would be set to run concurrently as usual, so it's five years tops, out in 3 with good behaviour etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He will never end up a cell of eight and slopping out
    That's for the little people

He'll get a single cell like the late Liam Lawlor or a single room like his son

Or most likely, head to that open prison up in Cavan

And that's if he even gets a sentance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I am pie wrote: »
    And what would we charge him with ? Being useless at his job...unfortunately not a criminal offence.

Didn't I see something about him (Neary) knowing what was going on but turning a blind eye more or less?

ie. by not doing his job (or being useless at it), he knowingly allowed what happened to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well Done Gardai!!

Neary, and a few more of the boyos next! Hopefully the courts will do their job on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Garlic Man 1.6 million of taxpayers money 6 Years in prison
    Fitzpatrick 32 billion of taxpayers money ? Years centuries in prison

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

buck65 wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooo

My thoughts exactly ... free the Anglo 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bet there's going to be an upsurge in soap-on-a-rope sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

My thoughts exactly ... free the Anglo 3

I think they are all out on bail already. Are you happy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

CJC999 wrote: »
    The judge should set bail at €1 million...wouldn't that be ironic!

And he should announce it with the Dr Evil little finger to the mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I think they are all out on bail already. Are you happy now?

No I won't be happy until their names are cleared and they receive suitable compensation from the state for any distress caused to them by this witch hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

amazing how this piece of **** gets around, poland, usa, and is apparently living on pittance? he's a lying smile ball

Seem's his arrest was by appointment. I think he'll be doing a lot of flying in/out of Dublin for some time yet. The station he has to sign on at is Irishtown while he lives in Greystones, Co Wicklow: handy to stop off there of a Wednesday and sign on, before crossing the tollbridge to the airport ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Boombastic wrote: »
    Well Done Gardai!!

Neary, and a few more of the boyos next! Hopefully the courts will do their job on this.

Pat Neary committed no crimes.

He was maladroit and a patsy, a career civil sevant of the 'keep your head down & wait for retirement' variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yes. We should let criminals go because it costs money to keep them in jail.

Your logic is impeccable.

Good fcuking lord christ no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Wheres David Drumm at these days? Still living it up in Cape Cod with Charlie Bird banging on his door like the big bad wolf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Pat Neary committed no crimes.

He was maladroit and a patsy, a career civil sevant of the 'keep your head down & wait for retirement' variety.

Negligence?

To the degree that the country's banking system collasped, needing bailing out and propping up from the taxpayer, and putting european banks and the eurozone into jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The outlaw

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Cansomeone explain to me in layman's terms what this guy actually did? Was hefiddling books somewhere? Was he the head of a bank? Why does everyone hatehim?

As head of the bank hewas overseeing 3 things basically:

1. Lending money to 10people to buy shares in bank (props up share price, misleads markets etc) totake care of Quinn’s contract issue

2. Hiding loans tohimself of around €100 million (not just to buy shares in bank but personalinterests)

3. Taking loans fromIrish Nationwide (basically Fingers) at year end but recording them as deposits-again like 1. Dramatically overvalues the bank (actually by twice the value ofthe loan)

The first issue is themost blatant breach of company law and as mentioned on this thread,manipulating the markets can result in up to 10 years sentence.

The Office of CorporateEnforcement was only set up in 2001 to look for potential offences committed bycompanies so they job they have being doing with this bank along with the DPPhas been a mammoth one. It could be argued that before 2001 it would have beeneasier to get away with things, with the DPP left on their own with lessbusiness expertise.

The issue of Seanie goingfrom CEO to Chairman should have sent alarm bells ringing because there is aconflict of interest here. It's not illegal but the auditors should have beensuspicious of this move alone.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Wheres David Drumm at these days? Still living it up in Cape Cod with Charlie Bird banging on his door like the big bad wolf?

Sold the house in Cape cod. He is bankrupt. Wife gets to keep half the money though:rolleyes:

US court agrees settlement for former Anglo Irish Bank CEO's wife in bankruptcy case

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

ilovesleep wrote: »
    If they do get banged up into jail, it's going to cost us, the taxpayer more money.

But that'll be money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Just heard poor oul Seanie was arrested this morning

Probably still too early, but have they released the time for his public execution yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

He can hold hands with Sean Quinn in Portlaoise

I think top of the agenda when our Taoiseach meets Obama next time shouldn't even be FDI but request for that b*stard to be extradited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

http://youtu.be/TTzidK1tOic

For everyone's pleasure.
    Seeing him pushed into that taxi by the guards was pretty sweet.
    I'm guessing the drunk man hasn't a notion who he is...
    "I hope you win it mate"
    "He's the reason you won't be getting the dole in a few years, will you feck off".
    Only in Ireland....

Roisy7 wrote: »
    "I hope you win it mate"
    "He's the reason you won't be getting the dole in a few years, will you feck off".
    Only in Ireland....

He should have asked him if he had any spare change:pac::pac:

Classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

s**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

His missus was home recently, hair dyed and the biggest pair of sunglasses on.
    Didn't stop her shopping in the most expensive clothes shop in town though.....

True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Does this mean we get to call him Seanie 'Shite in the Bucket' now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

If all the bankers who caused this mess get jail for 20+ years than the government deserve credit for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Samich wrote: »
    If all the bankers who caused this mess get jail for 20+ years than the government deserve credit for once.

The government dont sentence people and can not interfere with court cases :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The government dont sentence people and can not interfere with court cases :confused:

Oh right, well how did they get away with it up to now then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I feel sorry for him

/ trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Davidth88 wrote: »
    So tell me this , do people think the fact that Quinn wasn't put away with his son last week and this week 3 ex Anglo bosses get arrested is co-incidence.

I reckon Quinn has turned States evidence ......... "Don't put me away and Ill tell you exactly how the Anglo share prop up scheme worked ....."

It will be years before any of these guys see the inside of The Joy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0724/1224320710402.html
    this is how young Quinn is getting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

poppyvally wrote: »

Is it any surprise that the rich, privileged guy gets the cushiest place in the slammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Very Hungry Catterpillar

Never mind David Drumm, where is Charlie Bird? Has he been seen since he did that documentary about being lonely and having no friends?

• Advertisement
Advertisement