Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A full Irish breakfast

• 24-07-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is there a set standard for what's in it? Lately the likes of hash browns and poached rather than fried eggs come with it. What should be in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

old fashioned Irish fry up

Rashers, sausages, egg, black/white pudding, tomato toast tea.

new fangled one

rashers, sausages, egg black/white pudding, tomato, beans, hash browns, mushrooms, chips, toast, brown bread juice tea coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Once you have the essentials: Rashers, sausages, egg, beans and buckets of fat, everything else is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

lazygal wrote: »
    Is there a set standard for what's in it? Lately the likes of hash browns and poached rather than fried eggs come with it. What should be in it?

I believe you should have your eggs whichever way you like, so there should be an option of fried, poached or scrambled.

Beans are not necessary in my opinion, but if you like them, have at it. I like them, but only a very small amount - otherwise they dominate the plate what with all the juice.

A fry must have plump sausages, lean bacon, black and white pudding (for me 2x1) and poached eggs.

Ketchup or HP brown sauce and of course, toast.

I don't bother with hash browns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sausages, rashers, fried egg, black and white pudding with red sauce all placed lovingly into a demi baguette or 'roll' to the commoners!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the only part of a fry up I really enjoy is the end bit of the runny egg mixed with ketchup.

I burst the egg and mix with ketchup - then eat the rest really fast, the butter the hot toast and savor the bits of leftover mixed in with the runny egg ketchup and hot butter on toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Rashers, sausage, both black and white puddings, mushrooms, tomato, egg, toast, orange juice and your choice of tea or coffee.

Beans and hash browns are optional. As are extra portions of rashers and sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

TheBody wrote: »
    Once you have the essentials: Rashers, sausages, egg, beans and buckets of fat, everything else is a bonus.

NO BEANS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

lazygal wrote: »

I'd throw it back at them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

IrishAm wrote: »
    Beans and hash browns are optional. As are extra portions of rashers and sausages.

If you go for beans, keep them away from the feckin egg!

If you go for beans, keep them away from the feckin egg!

Truth.

If I wanted eggs riddled with ketchup style sauce, I would have asked for them!

My local cafe does a hunger buster for 5.95. Might wander down and purchase a take away fry.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    NO BEANS

Or chips. Chips are strictly a no no. Only places that serve poor produce serve chips with their fry, in an attempt to over compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

old fashioned Irish fry up

Rashers, sausages, egg, black/white pudding, tomato toast tea.

You forgot to add fresh wild mushrooms when in season

hate mushrooms and pudding
    yuck

bluewolf wrote: »
    hate mushrooms and pudding
    yuck

Have you ever tried your local butchers self made puddings? Supermarket style puddings are rather bad, but when they are done right, they are very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ulster fry is the best.

Fried potato farls and soda bread...

nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

CiaranC wrote: »
    NO BEANS

are you high!?! beans are great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

In Meath, I once got a full Irish that had 2 sausages, 2 rashers, 2 eggs, 1 each of the pudding clan, beans, mushrooms, hash brown, toast and tea. All nice and normal, but it also came with a spring roll, 2 battered prawns and a bunch of grapes.

Was quite tasty too, never had sea creatures for breakfast before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Fried eggs with runny centre, proper sausages (NO CHIPOLATAS!!), black and white puddings, good bacon and white toast.

All washed down with strong black coffee.

Fry-ups ROCK! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My personal preference would be:

Scrambled eggs, sausages, lots of fried mushrooms and onions, lots of toast.

Not too bothered about bacon ... definitely no pudding.

As for the "set standard"? I'd say, one fried egg, two sausages, two rashers, two pudding (one black one white), one fried tomato, plenty of toast and butter. And a choice of tea/coffee. I wouldn't expect beans or chips or hash browns etc to be included in a standard fry.

I'm hungry now ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Not a big fan of beans with an Irish Breakfast, only time I really enjoy them is on toast with lots of cracked pepper and cheese!

+1 on the mushrooms though!

• Advertisement

Onions in a fry? Not bothered about bacon? Get the boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yes to beans!
    No to mushrooms!
    Shove your tomato up your hoop!

Was staying in a hotel for a wedding once before and they had little potato cubes (I'm sure there's a fancy name for them) there also at the breakfast 'buffet'....a welcome addition!

kfallon wrote: »
    Yes to beans!
    No to mushrooms!

Was staying in a hotel for a wedding once before and they had little potato cubes (I'm sure there's a fancy name for them) there also at the breakfast 'buffet'....a welcome addition!

Sauteed potatoes.

I worked in a hotel that charged 19.95 for a fry! Which I could eat for free.

A lot of places take the p*ss.

My personal breakfast fry?

Scrambled > fried eggs.
    Bacon/rashers.
    Beans if they're going but not essential.
    Toast.

Simple and not too heavy on the stomach abuse.

My personal breakfast fry?

Scrambled > fried eggs.
    Bacon/rashers.
    Beans if they're going but not essential.
    Toast.

Simple and not too heavy on the stomach abuse.

No sausages? That's not a fry up, that's bacon and eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No eggs, for the love of fùck, no eggs.

Nothing churns my stomach more after a night of drinking than seeing and smelling a dirty, rotten, runny egg going all over the rest of my breakfast.

Like what a fart would look like in tangible form.

It's a farce is what it is!!!

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Nothing churns my stomach more after a night of drinking than seeing and smelling a dirty, rotten, runny egg going all over the rest of my breakfast

Gives most people the horn tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

im outa me mind with the hungry now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Bacon (not crispy)
    Fried Eggs (Runny as f*ck)
    Sausages
    Mushrooms
    Toast with real butter
    Tae!

No poxy beans.

No sausages?

Yep.

I can take them or leave them, me.

If it's a high quality sausage I'll chow away otherwise meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Yes to beans!
    No to mushrooms!
    Shove your tomato up your hoop!

Couldn't agree more, very English idea of a fry up.

alproctor wrote: »
    No poxy beans.

Wash your mouth out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Whats the point in going for a full Irish if you're leaving stuff out. Throw the whole lot on the plate to fcuk.

Wash your mouth out!!!

I'd have to if i ate those little orange b*stards.

Possibly with bleach.
    Or fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

2 Eggs, slightly runny.
    4 fat sausages.
    2 rashers, not crispy.
    3 hash browns, crispy.
    Baked beans.
    White pudding 2 slices.
    Side portion of mushrooms fried in soy sauce.

Strong cup of coffee, no toast, newspaper.

best.....brekkie.....evar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

well that's it!

I'm having brinner tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Given that Irish 'sausages' are worse than Hitler, Chuck has the right of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mushrooms, hash browns and beans are all the work of the devil and shouldn't be on the same plate as a decent Oirish fry up.

You need good quality sausages (Superquinn or Clonakilty), thick smoked bacon, white and/or black pudding, eggs (done in any way one chooses - my preference being poached) and grilled tomato (with lots of pepper) with either toast or fried homemade brown or soda bread. A heart attack on a plate but nothing as tasty if you've been out of the country for a while! :pac:

Yet those that produce them keep winning globally recognised awards.....

Talking bollix, bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Add mushrooms.
    Beans if you're in Ulster.
    Hash Browns are english!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Or chips. Chips are strictly a no no. Only places that serve poor produce serve chips with their fry, in an attempt to over compensate.

I got a full Irish in a cafe once that came with chips. Not only were they over-compensating for the poor quality of the breakfast, they were actually trying to conceal the poor quality of the breakfast as when the plate arrived, all I could see was a mountain of chips.

I had to ask where my breakfast was, to which I was told, "under the chips".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Merkin wrote: »
    Mushrooms, hash browns and beans are all the work of the devil and shouldn't be on the same plate as a decent Oirish fry up.

You need good quality sausages (Superquinn or Clonakilty), thick smoked bacon, white and/or black pudding, eggs (done in any way one chooses - my preference being poached) and grilled tomato (with lots of pepper) with either toast or fried homemade brown or soda bread. A heart attack on a plate but nothing as tasty if you've been out of the country for a while! :pac:

Leave out the tomato, and you're there boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I remember a fry up I got at a B&B near the University in Cork about 5 years ago. 2 x Jumbo Sausages, 3 x Thick Cut Rashers, 2 x White Pudding, 2 x Black Pudding (the puddings were huge), 1 x fried egg, 1 x small side bowl with Scrambled Egg, 1 x small side bowl with beans, 1 x small side bowl with mushrooms, 4 x brown bread, 4 x toast and big pot of Tay.

Took up the full table and since I was on my own, holy shít, I swear I didn't know whether to eat it or climb it :(

There seemed to be a few builders staying there to so maybe it was a Celtic tiger breakfast that has gone by the wayside now. Done me for the day anyway and was tasty and heart attac-tasic.

Kearneys sausages in Carlow.
    Nolans sausages in Kilcullen.

The finest sausages known to mankind.

Yeah Irish sausages have killed millions of Jews.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Fried eggs hard fried not runny (ugh) sausage , bacon (no fat) one black pudding one white pudding hash brown and maybe a few beans, and if im feeling up to it ill cook a bit of french toast:-)

these cafes that think throwing in fried mushroom and half a tomato can replace the hash brown need to be shot

hubby and i went to a cafe before a saturday football drinkin session one lunch time, 8.50 for a breakfast so expecting it to be good size. One fried egg, 2 sausages, 2 pudding and one rasher with burnt toast and one cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Plazaman wrote: »
    I remember a fry up I got at a B&B near the University in Cork about 5 years ago. 2 x Jumbo Sausages, 3 x Thick Cut Rashers, 2 x White Pudding, 2 x Black Pudding (the puddings were huge), 1 x fried egg, 1 x small side bowl with Scrambled Egg, 1 x small side bowl with beans, 1 x small side bowl with mushrooms, 4 x brown bread, 4 x toast and big pot of Tay.

Took up the full table and since I was on my own, holy shít, I swear I didn't know whether to eat it or climb it :(

There seemed to be a few builders staying there to so maybe it was a Celtic tiger breakfast that has gone by the wayside now. Done me for the day anyway and was tasty and heart attac-tasic.

I go to a place that serves exactly what you named and you can go up for more. 2 for a fiver before 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Hash browners in, eggs out.

Plus loads of beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Leave out the tomato, and you're there boy!

You have to have the tomato so you can mop up the juice at the end with the crispy fried bread.....have just drooled on my keyboard :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement