Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest data roaming

Options
  • 24-07-2012 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am currently with Vodafone on an old package for 45 a month. Comes with 2GB data and free data roaming in europe and select countries.

I go abroad about 2-3 times a year but really need my data then for various apps and navigation.

Vodafone has stopped the free roaming for europe from what I can see so if I change contract/upgrade with them then I lose the roaming data.

Does anyone offer free data roaming anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't think so. This is a cash cow for them
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/customers-face-data-roaming-ripoff-as-firms-impose-markups-of-700pc-3041641.html
    MOBILE phone companies are fleecing consumers by charging up to eight times more to use the internet abroad than it costs them to provide the roaming service.

Holidaymakers in Europe are being billed as much as €5 after VAT for a few Facebook updates on their smartphones even though the companies are only charged a maximum of €0.50 under EU rules.

I've been caught by vodafone on these charges so switched to 3 and just don't have data enabled now when I roam. There are offline apps you can use and wifi is often available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

biko wrote: »
    Don't think so. This is a cash cow for them
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/customers-face-data-roaming-ripoff-as-firms-impose-markups-of-700pc-3041641.html

I've been caught by vodafone on these charges so switched to 3 and just don't have data enabled now when I roam. There are offline apps you can use and wifi is often available.
    Yeah, am looking at 3 at the moment as their deals seem much better than vodafone's. If I upgrade with vodafone I lose my free data roaming anyway so just looking to see if anyone has it which it looks like they dont so its down to if I need to replace my phone then might as well go to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If I upgrade with vodafone I lose my free data roaming anyway so just looking to see if anyone has it which it looks like they dont so its down to if I need to replace my phone then might as well go to 3.

If roaming is valuable to you then don't upgrade, just buy a new phone.

Advertisement