Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag in Sligo

Options
  • 24-07-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

I'm going on a stag in Sligo on the weekend of the Summer Festival, we have a hotel booked and might catch a few gigs on the main stage.

Can someone recommend a few decent pubs and nightclubs to visit? Maybe somewhere with a beer garden during the day.

Not looking for paintball/surfung etc, just good old fashioned drinking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

McHughs or the Belfry are the main spots for a stag party...nice bars with beer gardens! The Belfry also do pour your own pint tables and have a large number of pool and snooker tables to make a gud nite! The Velvet Rooms(only open saturdays) or Toffs niteclub is your best choice of niteclub!!Toffs is situated underneath the belfry bar and you can get discounts if you are drinking there before hand. I would suggest you contact one of the clubs to arrange free admission for such a big group or at least concessions! If you are looking for live music pubs I would say McGarrigles or Fureys!! Enjoy it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If the weather is any good you can sit outside The Garavogue Bar incidentally beside the Gararvogue river which is also beside Stephen Street Car park where the live outdoor gigs will be happening. Or nip across the bridge to Kennedys or Fiddlers Creek.

Jaysus, if anything goes awry on the stag and you lose a deposit, whatever you do, don't tell your future missus.

Have a great weekend, you'll not be stuck for things to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Id recommend the Garavouge,Mc Hughs and Shennanigans never was a fan of the Belfry myself.There all late bars.Nightclubs i would recommend the velvet book ahead and you usually get a free bottle of champagne www.velvetroom.ie They have all different stag packages available on the website other nightclubs i would recommend are pure ,and the clarence.Personally i would stay away from Toffs it a very young crowd 18-21 mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Gonna bump this.

Heading to a stag in Sligo this weekend. Crowd is mid-30s, and more into nice pints and a good atmosphere in a bar rather than pure insanity. Looking for a decent pub with lovely Guinness and good grub to watch the France game on the Saturday. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

How many will there be shalamov? Garavogue do decent bar food and will have it on a big projector.

Belfry I can often find it's hard to get a good seat for a big game. Fiddlers do good food and is good for watching matches too, literally 50 metres from the Garavogue if you wanted to check out both

• Advertisement

How many will there be shalamov? Garavogue do decent bar food and will have it on a big projector.

Belfry I can often find it's hard to get a good seat for a big game. Fiddlers do good food and is good for watching matches too, literally 50 metres from the Garavogue if you wanted to check out both

14 of us all told. Was up in Sligo before on a stag and was in Hargadon's (I think). Beautiful boozer and outstanding pints, but it didn't look like the kind of place that would show the game on big screens. Could be wrong about that though!

Nice one then, will give the Garavogue a shot if you think that's the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Dont think they Hargadons have a big screen but I could be wrong as its under new management a few years now.
    My advice would be prob the Swagman as it used to be the main rugby pub a few years ago. U could also go to kennedys or the Belfray. If you got a good seat in the Belfry early you could be laughing as its very decent for the evening too. I dont think you can go to far wrong for the match.

Thanks guys, help much appreciated.

Was going to say Kennedy's but don't think they do food

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

I would grab a couple of taxis and head out to Strandhill and go to either the Venue or the Strand bar. Good food in both and both should have the game on. Also nice and relaxing by the sea and I think at the Strand you can sit outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

bennyc wrote: »
    Dont think they Hargadons have a big screen but I could be wrong
    They don't even have a small screen. It's really a pub for food/guinness rather than sports.

northknife wrote: »
    I would grab a couple of taxis and head out to Strandhill and go to either the Venue or the Strand bar. Good food in both and both should have the game on. Also nice and relaxing by the sea and I think at the Strand you can sit outside.

Think the Venue only have a small tv, actually would recommend Bella Vista if you went to Strandhill. Big tvs, great pizza, outside seating and great selection of international beers.

Strandhill is a great place especially on a sunny day, would cost no more than 15 in a taxi too

UPDATE

Thanks for the tips guys, we had a great weekend. Ate in Bistro Bianconi, cheap and cheerful stuff - perfect for the group of us.
    Two favourite pubs were definitely hargadon's and shoot the crows, and that pub opposite the lane where the italian is (mcgarrigles?) was decent as well - good band playing on the friday. Strand bar was v decent for grub and pints after surfing on the saturday.
    Went to the garavogue on the saturday night which was a good laugh. DJ started playing old-school 90s tunes towards the end but bizarrely refused my request for the epic Londonbeat... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBryyQSrD8)

Only downpoint was Toffs (half-full, 80% lads) on the friday but that was it.

Great place overall!

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Toffs wouldn't be great on a Friday night alright, don't think it's ever busy in there that night, Saturday would be wedged

Advertisement