Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you see yourself living in Ireland permanently

• 24-07-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

As the title goes,do you want to live here all your life,would you like to live overseas and rear your family in another country or is Ireland the bee all and end all,
    Looking to move again in the next 2-3 yrs ourselves,like Ireland but I often get bored staying in the same place all the time,
    How about yourselves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Growing up, I always thought i'd stay here forever, but over the last year so many close friends and family have moved abroad I really can't see the point in staying any longer than I have to, so as soon as I have a qualification I can travel around the world with then I think i'll be off.

Sure will miss the weather though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Probably, but I'd be open to moving if the right situation presented itself. We both have jobs here and plan on buying a house (in the longterm) in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd like to live in London, been over and back countless times at this stage and spent 2 months of the summer over there when I was 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I reckon I will travel and live somewhere else for a few years, but ill come back to settle and rear a family. Aint no place like home - and for me being close to my own family is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have no desire whatsoever to go live anywhere else. I don't even want to move outside of South Dublin.

If I had no family & no friends living here, then I wouldn't be so inclined to hang on. But as it is I like being within 30 minutes of the people I love. If for nothing more than the simple comfort of being able to go for a few pints in a local pub with friends/family whenever you feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I always saw myself staying here but the way things have gone in the last few years have made me think again. I've lost all faith in the country tbh. I have a small family now so don't want to uproot them but have been dropping hints to my partner lately that when they've moved out we should head somewhere sunny. :o

seamus wrote: »
    I have no desire whatsoever to go live anywhere else. I don't even want to move outside of South Dublin.

If I had no family & no friends living here, then I wouldn't be so inclined to hang on. But as it is I like being within 30 minutes of the people I love. If for nothing more than the simple comfort of being able to go for a few pints in a local pub with friends/family whenever you feel like it.

Everything he said!

We're probably neighbours :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I've lost all faith in the country tbh.

I don't understand this attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

OP you should make a Poll!

I can see myself living abroad alright, but most likely for only a couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have no interest in moving anywhere else. I like the place bar the skangers and i love our weather. Anything more than 3 days of sun makes me a sad panda. Ya cant beat a bit of overcast or a nice rain shower :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I only moved here some 8 years ago.
    I'm pretty settled now to be honest, and have no desire to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've never seen myself spending my life in Ireland. I've always wanted to go somewhere else and so far I've enjoyed living in other countries far more than living back home so there's plenty to convince me that I can happily live away from Ireland for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

No i think i'd like to live in other countries for a while like the United States and Australia. If work and a visa were obtainable i think it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity.
    And with technology nowdays its easier than ever to keep in touch with family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Myself and my partner are currently looking to move over to the UK with the kids in the new year. There are just way more job opportunities for us over there.
    We've both been unhappy over here for a while now and the past few governments certainly haven't done anything much to encourage us to stay.

It's scary starting over in our late thirties with a young family, but we can't see any other way at the moment, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I plan to move back eventually but in my line of work I can realistically only expect to live in Dublin (maybe Cork) which wouldn't be ideal Location wise but I'd adjust.

Being in the same country as family and friends is something that shouldn't be taken for granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not a hope of me moving, was bad enough when I had to move to Dublin 12 years ago but it was prob the best thing for me! I don't ever see myself leaving Dublin permanently now....apologies to all the Dubs out there but yous are stuck with me :o

I love my country, for all it's faults I still love it and the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

For the foreseeable future I'll definitely stay here. It'd take a lot to make me leave Ireland (permanently).
    Ireland rules :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Yes, although I'd like to see more of the world, there really is no place like home.
    The thoughts of only seeing my family, childhood friends once a year would kill me

Yeah the weather can be crap, yeah we're in a recession but this country has also given me so many positive experiences! And you can't beat the Irish for friendly, welcoming down to earth craic

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I don't understand this attitude.

I'll tell you why: I was pretty naive until my early twenties, then I took a good look around and realized serious crime was becoming rampant, drug-use was rife, we've a major issue with alcohol, our politicians are corrupt, our local councillors don't care about their constituents, we're destroyed with motor tax, insurance and NCT fees yet have some of the worst roads in Europe, the countries media and politics is Dublin-centric, the social welfare system is a joke and the standard of living is still stupidly high despite crazy unemployment... oh, and the weather is ****.

I'm not having a pop at you, but I now suffer from depression after losing a job over two years and realizing how poor this country can be. What I don't understand is a one-sentence post like yours which explains or questions nothing. Rant over.

Before anyone starts listing all the good things about the country, I know all of them already, I'm a glass-half full person and will always promote and extoll the virtues of the country, but all I was doing was answering the OP's question honestly. If the chance for me to retire to a nice villa somewhere sunny when I'm in my 60's then I'll probably take it. :o

Yes 100%, I would absolutely hate to leave and have no intention of doing so. Spent one year away before and couldn't wait to get back.

Not only that though I specifically want to live back home in Galway, haven't been living there week in week out for a few years and can't wait to get back. Though anywhere in Ireland is preferable to moving abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm leaving soon, wife to be is from out foreign, so we'll go and live where she's from for as long as that works out.

I'd recommend living in (south!..never lived on the northside so can't comment) Dublin to anyone I who asked me, but I won't miss the weather ! The rotten weather here and the in-laws living over are a few of the main reasons we're leaving.

We've had nothing but good times here and are excited but sad to leave.

Professionally we'd be better off staying, but we're going to spend time in the sun with her family for a few years..or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I lived in London for my first year out of college and I hated it for a variety of reasons, but if I was going anywhere now it would probably be there. I used to be itchy to move, especially to NY, and was afflicted by the greener grass syndrome, but as time goes on I'm less and less likely to live anywhere else. Despite the problems in Ireland, I think I've a pretty good standard of living here, and while I could probably earn more elsewhere, my friends who live in London or wherever don't seem to live better than I do. We've a young baby now too, and with parents getting older the family ties become harder and harder to break.

All that said, there's always a snapping point. I was unemployed for a while a few years ago and I really thought I was going to have to move then. There could come a point where the whole "squeezed middle class" thing just becomes too much for us and we may have to move, and if one or other of us lost our jobs we might have to go. At this stage I think I'd prefer to stay here, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I lived abroad for 14 years, mainly Holland, Germany, UK in the years BC (before children)and loved almost every bit of it. Couldnt wait to get away and see the big bad world when I left college. However, far away hills are green and visits home always ended with depression at the thoughts of leaving again. When the kids arrived, the tiger was roaring and it was time to come home - 15 years now. I live in the countryside in the southeast just a few miles from my family home and close to lots of my oldest friends - many of whom also came back from abroad. Didnt realise what we had on our doorstep until we left.

However, the sad part of all this is that I am gradually drifting back to the UK. Work brings me there most weeks and with zero prospects in Ireland, it will almost certainly mean a permanent move if I want to provide for my family. This time, it will be with a heavy heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Myself and my partner are currently looking to move over to the UK with the kids in the new year. There are just way more job opportunities for us over there.
    We've both been unhappy over here for a while now and the past few governments certainly haven't done anything much to encourage us to stay.

It's scary starting over in our late thirties with a young family, but we can't see any other way at the moment, tbh.
    job

Just wondering about this exactly what better opportunities are in the UK?, I often have this conversation with my daughter who lives in the UK, she is a nurse and has a job in research (which she would never have here ) but she want to live here because no job will ever replace having your family near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Having lived outside Ireland for over 10 years I honestly can't see myself returning and settling down. It's great having a decent summer, 26 degrees here at the moment, can't imagine having to put up with wet summers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

I'll tell you why: I was pretty naive until my early twenties, then I took a good look around and realized serious crime was becoming rampant, drug-use was rife, we've a major issue with alcohol, our politicians are corrupt, our local councillors don't care about their constituents, we're destroyed with motor tax, insurance and NCT fees yet have some of the worst roads in Europe, the countries media and politics is Dublin-centric, the social welfare system is a joke and the standard of living is still stupidly high despite crazy unemployment... oh, and the weather is ****.

I'm not having a pop at you, but I now suffer from depression after losing a job over two years and realizing how poor this country can be. What I don't understand is a one-sentence post like yours which explains or questions nothing. Rant over.

Before anyone starts listing all the good things about the country, I know all of them already, I'm a glass-half full person and will always promote and extoll the virtues of the country, but all I was doing was answering the OP's question honestly. If the chance for me to retire to a nice villa somewhere sunny when I'm in my 60's then I'll probably take it. :o

While I understand some of this attitude especially when at the moment a lot of people are going through difficult times personally I do think there is still a grass is greener attitude inbuilt in this response.

Find me a country with no crimes issues, were equality is rampant and misery and strife doesn't exist, the roads are great and everyone pays low taxes, the weather is great and poverty is eradicated, the capital city doesn't receive a certain bias and the bureaucratic systems are completely fair and transparent with great politicians who do everything for the common good and not their own ego and legacy.

Unfortunately such a country doesn't exist. The only countries who get close imo are some of the Scandanavians, a couple other Western European countries, Japan and Korea, NZ and Oz and Canada.

Most surveys consistently put us in the top 25 countries in the world based on quality of life and happiness so we ain't that bad.

Personally I'd prefer to stay here to raise kids etc. but wouldn't mind moving about a bit before that stage comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If not i'll move to Iceland, shetland or some other isolated place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

mariaalice wrote: »
    job

Just wondering about this exactly what better opportunities are in the UK?, I often have this conversation with my daughter who lives in the UK, she is a nurse and has a job in research (which she would never have here ) but she want to live here because no job will ever replace having your family near.

Well, we're lucky in that my partner's family live in the UK and his uncle has offered him him a great job. I have also been offered a job by his sister who manages a store I have previous experience in managing.

Here, my partner works in a job he hates with no prospects and I work 2 crappy part-time jobs around his hours because we simply couldn't afford full-time childcare. We're also not crazy about the area we live in, but we can't afford to move. It's just all quite depressing!

As for moving away from family, I'm not overly close with many of them and my parents rarely see their grandkids, so that's not really an issue for us. I'm actually closer to my partner's family and they've offered to mind the children when I work which would be a great help!

Everyone's situation is different, but for us, moving away seems the only viable choice at the moment if we want some more happiness out of life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I don't think I'd have much of a problem upping and leaving. A lot of the reasons mentioned here I agree with (family, friends, etc) but that said a huge proportion of my friends have left for Oz, Canada, Singapore, UAE and are doing really well for themselves. One of whom came home there 3 weeks ago and literally cant wait to leave back to Oz.

He's earning 3 times what I'm on and isn't half as qualified. He's gotten to take breaks inbetween jobs and travel all of Asia and still has plenty in his pocket. (This makes me mad jealous)

I'm in a decent job living in Dublin but I'm genuinely thinking about looking abroad when this contract is up in 7 months time. My biggest fear is hitting my 30's without having seen all the places i want to travel too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Despite everything I said above, If I were in my 20s and single I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Always thought I would leave at some point. Having coming back from an extended stay halfway across the world, Ireland has never looked so lovely. I nearly kissed the ground when I landed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'd be gone like a heartbeat too if I could get away - preferably to a nice sunny climate.

This country is a banana republic - yes the scenery is stunning, but you are getting ripped off from the minute you get up till you go to bed and the three piece suit brigade and our so called "politicians" are laughing all the way to the bank.

Nice country but gone off it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Ireland forever, best place on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

when i was growing up i was like 'im never leaving ireland' but then i jumped at the first chance of moving to london. its grand over here although sometimes i wish i was back in sunny wicklah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

How can a standard of living be "stupidly high" - isn't a high standard of living a positive thing? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If employment dries up for me here, I see myself going to South America. Wife is from there and it's pretty easy for her to secure a job surprisingly enough.

Never really saw myself staying here long term
    I don't hate the place or anything, I like it, but I think I would like to live somewhere else
    I lived abroad for a year some time ago and liked it
    I don't think I would get homesick... anyway people can visit or skype or whatever

How can a standard of living be "stupidly high" - isn't a high standard of living a positive thing?
    i think he means cost of living

bluewolf wrote: »
    Never really saw myself staying here long term
    I don't hate the place or anything, I like it, but I think I would like to live somewhere else
    I lived abroad for a year some time ago and liked it
    I don't think I would get homesick... anyway people can visit or skype or whatever

i think he means cost of living

Indeed! Thanks bluewolf! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I live in the UK at the moment- been here just over two years and I definitely want to move back to Ireland when I can. It won't happen for a good while yet but maybe this time next year or something.

It's a different story for everyone but I just miss my family and took it for granted when I had them up and down the roads from me. I'm so glad I've had the experience of living in another country even if it is just an hour away on the plane because despite what people say, it can a different world over here sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

What really gets me is the 'best and brightest' ****e we hear spouted about emigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I've two years left in college, but once that is done with I feel New York will be the next stop for me. I fully plan on spending a year Stateside, and then we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I will always live here. Recessions come and go, it's not the end of the world. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, the reality is everywhere has it's problems.

We have a stable country politically, we don't have weather or natural events that are likely to kill us, neither is the local flora or fauna going to poison or eat us.

Any time I've been on holiday I've always been happy when we're coming into land at an Irish airport, it's home, it always will be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

will be moving to Canada in the near future, either Halifax or Niagara on the Lake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I left Ireland when I was 25 in 2001. I had a good job at the time but decided if I didn't go then I never would! I didn't go too far - London. But I always intended to move back. Every time I return I hate getting on the return flight, my ageing parents waving me off - always a killer. Skype is no substitute. I spent a 9 month stint in Ireland in 2009 to test the waters. Not the best time for the economy admittedly but, aside from the depression, it felt like the Ireland I wanted to return to. Now, I have met an Irish gal who also wants to move back. So, we've planned to come back in the next couple of years. Hopefully my 10 years of non-domestic skills will be of some use in the workplace (I acknowledge jobs are probably not plentiful) and I will be able to contribute to Ireland. It was a great place to grow up when I was a kid and having friends and relatives on your doorstep, as well as kids in that environment, is something I am really looking forward to. Fingers crossed. I am glad I went abroad too though - don't have regrets and do it if you can!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

For all it's flaws, the weather in Ireland is the worst thing about it for me, depresses the hell out of me that we barely get a handful of summer days. Roasting now in London, after a torrid couple of months, but this is the 3rd spell of a week or so of consistently warm weather with clear skies, it just doesn't happen in Ireland, and we'll probably get a couple more here after this one.
    Also, paying tax to the eejits in power and to bail out banks makes me never want to work there again.

At the same time, I do feel a bit of humility, on hearing my accent people ask if I'm Irish and I almost feel a bit ashamed of the fact that I'm an immigrant, yet another Paddy left their shores. Often I'm asked if there are any Irish people left in Ireland, so I guess I'd rather be happy in my own country some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No way. I've already lived in 3 other countries since I was born. Just here now to finish college, getting out of here then!

I don't know if I will come back here eventually. My Mother left Ireland when she was 17 and lived in about 6 different countries. She always said she was never going to come back here until she split up with my Dad. She moved back here with my brother and I from France. We've stayed here ever since and she's happy out. She's always said she's happy she brought us up in Kerry (well, most of the years) instead of London or France. Especially London...so happy I got rid of that accent :P

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I never lived abroad before. I'm in my early thirties and am off to Australia in six weeks, with a four year visa in my back pocket. I can't say for certain but I don't think I'll be homesick, not for crap weather and corrupt politicians. I'm sure they are probably corrupt in oz to, but I won't bother me as much as it won't be my country, so I might be able to keep my blood pressure from blowing every time see one of the slimy ****s on TV.

As bad as the weather is in the summer I don't think I could take another winter, I don't think I suffer from S.A.D. but I definitely find winters difficult maybe it would be better if we actually had a nice summer to look forward to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Lia_lia wrote: »
    No way. I've already lived in 3 other countries since I was born. Just here now to finish college, getting out of here then!

So what's your problem with the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tessie

Well, I've been there done that, grass is greener etc. having lived out of this country for the best part of 40 years there is a lot to be said for this island. It may have it's faults ( and it has ) but it's still way better than anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I've been moving around since I was about eighteen, as far as I'm concerned home is just the place I happen to live right now.

So unless a majorly compelling reason appeared to force me back to Ireland, and I can't imagine one, I'll probably not live there ever again, let alone permanently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement