Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you see yourself living in Ireland permanently

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Elaborate.

Not having a go. Just don't understand people who never consider experiencing life in another country, if only for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'll be staying in Ireland, have my own place here now and have been lucky enough in that I've always had work here so it hasn't been a bad country to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

The trick to living a nice life in Ireland is to take up hobbies that will see you getting wet

WHA? :eek: WHA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

I live now in Newfoundland

Stand by the sea, face East and give us a wave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Interestingly, I had a strong desire to leave this country long before the recession hit us. I was just bored and wanted something different. As bad as the country is now, I don't have that same desire anymore. I just feel settled now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. A lot of people are emigrating now because they need to, not because they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Aidric wrote: »
    Not having a go. Just don't understand people who never consider experiencing life in another country, if only for a few years.

Maybe they just realise that people are people, wherever you go? And there will be people who like to stay put in every single nation on this planet. There's nothing "Irish" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Im off to Oz next month, got a job after doing an interview over skype which was a new experience for me. I know more people over there than here at this stage. I feel theres very little prospects for young people here at the minute. Its sad to see the country in this state. Was back in my home town at the weekend and "the lost generation" is noticible, especially when I went out for a few pints. Id like to think ill return to Ireland at some stage but ill be in no rush for the forseeable future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

This 'lost generation' were mostly Celtic Tiger snobs so good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

FishBowel wrote: »

With foreign accents pre-installed on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I'm off soon to Canada, away from this dreary country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What an insulting load of crap. You're the snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Even if i won the 110 million in the euromillions tonight i still wouldn't leave Ireland permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

What a nonsense thing to say - most are hard working construction and related industries who have no choice but to leave Ireland.

I'm a year in the US and don't see myself moving back any time soon. Main reason at this stage is the weather, I've seen more nice summer days in a year than the 27 years previous to that.

Salary and job prospects are just on a different level here as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Have a bit of pride in yourself and your country.

I have plenty of pride in myself, however I don't have a country, and if I did it would be Canada, not Ireland. You're born where you're born by chance, not intention. You have no say in it. I'd class the country I choose to live in as 'mine' more than the random place I happened to be born. Canada was my choice, Ireland was not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I'm not going anywhere, I love Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

That's a pretty pathetic statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Having lived through a military coup and subsequent street killings I think that Irish politics is fairly benign.
    Seeing Typhoon Vincente in Hong Kong on the news makes me glad I don't live there anymore.
    I can't donate blood now because of all the malarial countries I've lived in.
    It's true that we don't get many chances to lie out in the sun but we don't have to worry about the poisonous spiders or snakes either.

All in all Ireland is a good place to live but it's not a perfect fit for everybody. No place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

I used to be 100% completely insistent that I'd be here for ever, now I'm not so sure. I wouldn't mind living abroad for a few years, meet new people, gain new experiences. The Australia or Canada route that alot of my friends are taking has never really appealed to me though. I'd much rather move and live somewhere like San Francisco or New Orleans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm off soon to Canada, away from this dreary country

Well you're in for an even drearier surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Well you're in for an even drearier surprise!

Go on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I like south Dublin. Its a good place to live and I have friends around dublin and Wicklow I also have some family here that I would miss. The problem is for the type of work I want to get into I will have to leave the country.

I love Ireland and when I was away I actually found myself getting homesick even though I sometimes do nothing but moan about it! Irish people are generally friendly and we have fantastic scenery in this country. I will have to go to America or Canada in a few years and I am looking forward to getting away. I think the general depression around Ireland at the moment is getting to me. Im not sure I could stay away from here forever though and without getting too sappy I think I would like to rasie a family in Ireland with an Irish girl. I just dont see myself settling down with an american girl or anyone other than an Irish girl at the end of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Go on...

I thought it was obvious that I was saying Canada was even drearier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I would love to live in a different country, but to be honest I dont think I see myself easily leaving, unless I get some sort of really decent degree in something that enables me to move off and get a job no problem. Which in itself is unlikely in this country.

Its kind of depressing when I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Eh, not permenantly, I'm already planning a move to Berlin (lived there for a few months, LOVE IT, miss it).

At the same time, I can easily see myself moving back here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Go on...

In what way though? Do you just mean the weather, because that isn't the only thing that dreary can apply to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I love Ireland, but i'd love to live outside of Dublin. The country is so small that id never be far away from my friends and family, but big enough that i could be as far away from Dublin as id like to be. I've had enough of living in the city and want to move away it.

how do you make that out exactly? it's been 30 degrees here all summer give or take, and will continue to be around that til september or so

winters are cold but far from unmanagable, and unless youre in BC it doesnt rain particularly often

Kamjana wrote: »
    Even if i won the 110 million in the euromillions tonight i still wouldn't leave Ireland permanently.

+1
    Helix wrote: »
    I have plenty of pride in myself, however I don't have a country, and if I did it would be Canada, not Ireland. You're born where you're born by chance, not intention. You have no say in it. I'd class the country I choose to live in as 'mine' more than the random place I happened to be born. Canada was my choice, Ireland was not

Your a disgrace to your country. How could anyone have respect for you with an attitude like that.

Fair enough people want to move away, I've no problem with that but showing no respect to the country where they were born and raised is not on. If you openly speak like that back in Ireland expect trouble. People are sick to the teeth of people coming back from abroad harping on about how great it is and how crap Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd like to move away for a year or two but I have parents that are getting on a bit so it won't be much more than that. Theres a lot wrong with the country but theres still a very strong sense of community here and I haven't found that in a lot of other places I've visited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Does anyone know what the science scene is like in Canada? I know its big in America but I wouldnt mind working in Canada for a change. Also how does life in Canada compare with life in America? I would be living in washington state If I went to America.

So you owe the country nothing? Not even a bit of loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

That's great.

Will you be paying the state back the tens of thousands of euro it invested in you in the form of child benefit, education, and heavily subsidised university fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I would love to move to the states mainly to brooklyn. I use to think I would like england as I was born there.

Really not much keeping us here.

IrishAm wrote: »
    That's great.

Will you be paying the state back the tens of thousands of euro it invested in you in the form of child benefit, education, and heavily subsidised university fees?

fairly sure i already had by the time i left

That's great.

Not to mention healthcare and administrative costs.

• Advertisement

Your a disgrace to your country.

ireland is enough a disgrace to itself.
    showing no respect to the country where they were born and raised is not on.

nonsense. nobody has any say in the country they're born and raised. they have no reason to respect it, be proud of it or anything of the sort.
    If you openly speak like that back in Ireland expect trouble.

id only expect trouble from scumbags tbh
    People are sick to the teeth of people coming back from abroad harping on about how great it is and how crap Ireland is.

do you think there's a reason why people come back saying how great it is outside ireland? maybe, just maybe, that's because ireland actually is a backwards jokeshop of a country?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the science scene is like in Canada? I know its big in America but I wouldnt mind working in Canada for a change. Also how does life in Canada compare with life in America? I would be living in washington state If I went to America.

loads of big pharmaceutical companies here. particularly in ontario

canada is much more laid back than the states, and much friendlier i find. i travel to the states a fair bit for work and haven't really been anywhere i'd ever consider living. but it's possible down the line that work might compel me to move to california in a few years, so i may have no say in that

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    So you owe the country nothing? Not even a bit of loyalty.

why would anyone be loyal to a lump of land? and no, i owe ireland nothing. not a single thing. nor does anyone owe any country anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm pretty sure I'll live the rest of my life in Ireland. I spent twenty years of my life in London. I got tired of that city and it got tired of me. Ireland is the only country I could live in now, especially as most of my family live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

70 million irish passports around the world , 5000yrs of heritage and culture , not bad for a island nation , when i lived abroad i never put ireland down, you must understand you are not better than anyone else because you choose to live in another country , when i lived in oz i would never put ireland down , you show a serious lack of identity which is sad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I might be moving to America or Canada for awhile once I get my degree. Galway is the only place Ive been to in Ireland that I could see myself living in but I'll probably have a better choice of jobs if I move. Lived in America for 4 years as a child and I miss it. Might come back after a few years if I have children. Will see where I end up.

70 million irish passports around the world , 5000yrs of heritage and culture , not bad for a island nation , when i lived abroad i never put ireland down, you must understand you are not better than anyone else because you choose to live in another country , when i lived in oz i would never put ireland down , you show a serious lack of identity which is sad

where did i say i was better than anyone else though? i simply said that i don't see ireland as a remotely decent place to live, having spent a quarter of a century living there

i have no lack of identity. my identity was forged by my friends and family, and my interactions with them. not by ireland. i find it bizarre the amount of people who have bought into this national pride crap. the accomplishments of irish people are not your accomplishments. they are not ireland's accomplishments. they are the accomplishments of those specific people involved. you didn't choose to be born in ireland, it was a random occurrence. why do you think that an island has any bearing on who you are?

why would anyone be loyal to a lump of land? and no, i owe ireland nothing. not a single thing. nor does anyone owe any country anything
    So you didn't receive an education or any healthcare when you were sick. The Irish state had a hand in raising you, just like most other people on this site.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    So you didn't receive an education or any healthcare when you were sick. The Irish state had a hand in raising you, just like most other people on this site.

of course i received an education and healthcare, that's what my parents paid their taxes to fund, and that's what i paid my taxes to fund. that has nothing to do with the lump of land though

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

ireland is enough a disgrace to itself.

nonsense. nobody has any say in the country they're born and raised. they have no reason to respect it, be proud of it or anything of the sort.

id only expect trouble from scumbags tbh

do you think there's a reason why people come back saying how great it is outside ireland? maybe, just maybe, that's because ireland actually is a backwards jokeshop of a country?

canada is only a new country with no culture excepth for the natives which id say you have no time for! a culture is its people i see now why you dont like ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Lads ye going around and around in talking. So what if he doesn't put Ireland First. I don't either. NO point trying to change anyones mind. you either like it or not

I'd class the country I choose to live in as 'mine' more than the random place I happened to be born. Canada was my choice, Ireland was not

You are some tulip. In the country a wet day and already claiming it as your own. :pac:

canada is only a new country with no culture excepth for the natives which id say you have no time for! a culture is its people i see now why you dont like ireland

A country's past is irrelevant if it's present isn't worth a sh1te. I couldn't care less about Canada's culture, nor any country's. I live in the present

You are some tulip. In the country a wet day and already claiming it as your own. :pac:

Here 3 years, married to a Canadian and involved in a very successful business. I live here, work here and I pay my taxes here

There's only a million or so of them left. They make up some 20 per cent of the prison population and their small communities are absolutely decimated by substance abuse and suicide.

Its unbelievably sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement