Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you see yourself living in Ireland permanently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

Helix wrote: »
    A country's past is irrelevant if it's present isn't worth a sh1te. I couldn't care less about Canada's culture, nor any country's. I live in the present

then if your living in the present why are you giving out about the last 25 years of your life in ireland?? look i will be honest best of luck to you but putting your native land down does not wash with many people, if you want to travel the world do so and best of luck , but never forget where you come from trust me on that!! you will be surprised later on in life what your roots mean to you and what it means to have a culture and not just money in your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

of course i received an education and healthcare, that's what my parents paid their taxes to fund, and that's what i paid my taxes to fund. that has nothing to do with the lump of land though
    Ah but when you're talking about Ireland you're talking about the Irish state which is the people. As for your/your parents taxes covering the cost of your education and healthcare, muhahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Ah but when you're talking about Ireland you're talking about the Irish state which is the people. As for your/your parents taxes covering the cost of your education and healthcare, muhahahaha.

no, when you're talking about ireland, you're talking about the whole package

you don't think 2 parents working for 22 years (the age i was when i finished college), and me working for 6 of those years part time followed by 4 full time would cover the cost of a single kid's education? or the handful of times i ever needed to go to the doctors? really? work out the tax on that much income, even at a modest wage

then if your living in the present why are you giving out about the last 25 years of your life in ireland?? look i will be honest best of luck to you but putting your native land down does not wash with many people, if you want to travel the world do so and best of luck , but never forget where you come from trust me on that!! you will be surprised later on in life what your roots mean to you and what it means to have a culture and not just money in your pocket

what does a culture of people who lived on the same rock i was born on have to do with my life? very little. they're not my achievements or accomplishments. what i do defines who i am, not what a load of dead randomers did years ago

ireland deserves to be put down, given the absolute dive of a country it is right now, coupled with how corrupt it has been for my lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

what does a culture of people who lived on the same rock i was born on have to do with my life? very little. they're not my achievements or accomplishments. what i do defines who i am, not what a load of dead randomers did years ago

ireland deserves to be put down, given the absolute dive of a country it is right now, coupled with how corrupt it has been for my lifetime

define an achievement or a accopplishment? i have done very well in ireland i also have all my friends and family here , so whos doing better than who? you see you just dont like ireland end of story and you put it down any chance you get! sad

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Give me a mild day with soft rain over a blazing sun any day. :p

The trick to living a nice life in Ireland is to take up hobbies that will see you getting wet, surfing, canoeing, diving etc. doesn't matter if it's raining or not. :D

Jesus, such deluded nonsense!

Yeah we'd all prefer rain over blazing sunshine, sure..:rolleyes:

define an achievement or a accopplishment? i have done very well in ireland i also have all my friends and family here , so whos doing better than who? you see you just dont like ireland end of story and you put it down any chance you get! sad

who mentioned someone doing better than someone else? your accomplishments and achievements are yours. theyre the things that you've gone out and done. they're what you should be proud of. not something that someone who happened to be born on the same landmass as you did

i dont dislike ireland as such, it's just an awful place to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Never found this myself. Is it not Starbucks/Web 2.0/cosmopolitan enough for you? What exactly is the problem? Im no fan of the government here but theres a lot worse places you could live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

fat__tony wrote: »

Not everyone likes the sunshine...every 1 out of 4 people I meet here genuinely hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

who mentioned someone doing better than someone else? your accomplishments and achievements are yours. theyre the things that you've gone out and done. they're what you should be proud of. not something that someone who happened to be born on the same landmass as you did

i think people are just jealous of you tbh.
    It like people think your the one who let down ireland rather if anything its ireland that lets down its people by giving little choice for well educated people other than to emigrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

How is that so hard to believe? I was in Arizona and Nevada for a week and give me Ireland weather over that any time. Felt like I was cooking every time I went out. Got to 112F one day. It's a bloody nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Not everyone likes the sunshine...every 1 out of 4 people I meet here genuinely hate it.

That's some made up statistic. :D I have a lot family over that and I don't know anyone who dislikes the weather!

Not everyone enjoys the sunshine, but surely people would like to be guaranteed a few weeks of sun (at least!) per year without having to have your BBQ cooked in the kitchen because of torrential rain!

You can't plan anything here without having to think about the affects the weather will have on it.

There are more pressing issues than the weather though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

adamski8 wrote: »
    i think people are just jealous of you tbh.
    It like people think your the one who let down ireland rather if anything its ireland that lets down its people by giving little choice for well educated people other than to emigrate

I'd imagine it's the people harping on about loyalty (what a joke) who are the same people who bought overpriced houses before the recession and are stuck here now. Ah well.

I like Dublin a lot. Maybe I'll head elsewhere, maybe I won't. Happy where I am at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

Sappa wrote: »
    How about yourselves
    I moved to Ireland after living in a couple of other places.. It's nice enough, can't understand people whining about it. Travelling - sure, but always wanna come back to my new home - Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I definitely want to travel and live in the US, Canada Australia, some other countries in Europe, just for the experience and to see the World. I didn't get to travel much because I'm from a big family and we didn't have a lot of money growing up. Right now, I want to live here and raise my kids once I've finished gallivanting around the world. That being said, there is a chance I'll fall in love with some country, or someone in some country and decide I want to stay there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'd like to leave this country - I'm sick of it. The only thing keeping me here so far was my mother was ill with a genetic bone thing & wasn't able to walk for a while but she's okay now & walking again thanks to having an hip replacement operation earlier this year, then my best friend died, and now another family member is ill with cancer. But as soon as he gets the all clear I'm thinking about going to either Australia or New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

No, I plan to leave as soon as possible. Ireland just doesn't suit me. I love the country, but not the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I could see myself settling here when I am older, but I would like to live somewhere else for a few years if possible. I would love to live and work in the states but that seems to be too hard to pull off without a Green Card.

The main thing I dislike about Ireland is the weather, it is so depressing, here we are in the middle of the summer and it's raining and dull as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Reasons why I want to leave.
    1.I hate our climate and yearn for a warmer stable climate.
    2.I lived away for 10yrs,came back and now I am truly bored of here.
    3.I want to live not just in one particular country but the wife and I want to try several countries over the next decade or so.
    4.work opportunities,there are far more in my area as it's a fairly niche job Market.
    5.I can't stand how this country is run without accountability or concern.
    I think Ireland has great scenery,friendly natives,fascinating history but I am ready for new adventures and Ireland will always be my birth home but home is where you lay your head each night,I prefer a very active outdoor lifestyle Ireland is a disaster for this,ideal place to live San Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

FishBowel wrote: »
    This 'lost generation' were mostly Celtic Tiger snobs so good riddance.

Way to generalise, you utter prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ideal place to live San Diego.

In the entire world??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Relax man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Cienciano wrote: »
    How is that so hard to believe? I was in Arizona and Nevada for a week and give me Ireland weather over that any time. Felt like I was cooking every time I went out. Got to 112F one day. It's a bloody nightmare.

yeah, was stunned by an American girl in her twenties who said she was loving the Irish weather on TV recently, esp the rain and the cold - she'd come from Arizona.

in the eye of the beholder, huh? or maybe just the jet-setters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Reasons why I want to leave.
    1.I hate our climate and yearn for a warmer stable climate.
    2.I lived away for 10yrs,came back and now I am truly bored of here.
    3.I want to live not just in one particular country but the wife and I want to try several countries over the next decade or so.
    4.work opportunities,there are far more in my area as it's a fairly niche job Market.
    5.I can't stand how this country is run without accountability or concern.
    I think Ireland has great scenery,friendly natives,fascinating history but I am ready for new adventures and Ireland will always be my birth home but home is where you lay your head each night,I prefer a very active outdoor lifestyle Ireland is a disaster for this,ideal place to live San Diego.

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
    No, there's no way that's correct.
    I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
    Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
    No. No.
    No, that's - that's what it means. Really.
    Agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Faith+1 wrote: »

Relax man!

Let him go. He knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

God no! I will leave whenever I am made redundant. take the money and get out. If it wasn't for family here. I would not come back either. Hate the way there isn't anything to do here apart from outdoor walking, looking at scenery (yawn) and pubs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Born and bread in the northside of Dublin absolutely love this county :P . Can't see myself moving anytime time soon maybe if i had the funds, country's total let down never worked a day in my life only work exp but in saying that im only turning 19 but that is a different topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Left Ireland when I was 21 for what was meant to be six months. Nearly six years later I'm still away and can't see myself heading back soon.

Why?

My standard of living seems to be a lot higher than most of my friends at home, plus I actually get a proper summer with fantastic weather. I don't see any real reason to give that up and go start again back in a country with not a whoole lot going for it at the moment in comparison.

If things pick up down the road then maybe I'll go back, but it's hard to see why any young person wouldn't at least leave for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Vast majority of Irish people will see themselves living in Ireland permanently.

Many have no inclination to move out. I am one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

annascott wrote: »
    God no! I will leave whenever I am made redundant. take the money and get out. If it wasn't for family here. I would not come back either. Hate the way there isn't anything to do here apart from outdoor walking, looking at scenery (yawn) and pubs..

What exactly can you do in other countries that you can't do in Ireland?

I know there will be certain things (skiing for one;)) but sometimes I think we just like to moan about our country, whereas so many outsiders seem to love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I can see myself graduating and then working here for a few years, seeing how it goes. If it goes well and the HSÉ seems to be trending upwards I might stay here for a few years, it'd be kinda nice to be part of trying to improve the health system here. If that all goes south and I just find that willing to stay here only is seen as an invitation to be exploited (and I don't mean with pay necessarily, but just conditions, money not going where it should), then I'll up and leave.

I really do like Ireland, for all it's flaws. I think we're seeing some good social change with regards attitudes to homosexuality, mental health, family planning and the like. The weather doesn't phase me much, it's made me appreciate the times when we do get the sun a lot more. I like the idea of a welfare system that looks out for the poor and vulnerable, although unfortunately it is being exploited to a huge extent and I hope it sees major reform in years to come. There's still an awful lot wrong attitude-wise, especially this country's alcoholism, local-led parish politics and apathy to finding out the truth (seen during recent referenda).

I plan on travelling extensively, but still I always imagine coming back here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Born here.
    Looking forward to the day when financial and family affairs are sorted.
    A few more years.

With great pleasure I will then wave good riddance to The Septic Isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I have plenty of pride in myself, however I don't have a country, and if I did it would be Canada, not Ireland. You're born where you're born by chance, not intention. You have no say in it. I'd class the country I choose to live in as 'mine' more than the random place I happened to be born. Canada was my choice, Ireland was not

to be honest helix, you sound very young, naive, and in complete awe of somewhere that you really probably don't even know very well. A bit of life under your belt should bring you back to your senses.

No problem - you want to live in Canada, many do, but most have the common sense not to turn on your own country the minute you leave it. You will realize this sooner or later - in your case probably later.

ireland is enough a disgrace to itself.

nonsense. nobody has any say in the country they're born and raised. they have no reason to respect it, be proud of it or anything of the sort.

id only expect trouble from scumbags tbh

do you think there's a reason why people come back saying how great it is outside ireland? maybe, just maybe, that's because ireland actually is a backwards jokeshop of a country?

listen pet there have been thousands of people immigrating to different countries before yourself - it's nothing new. I really pity you - as an immigrant myself for over ten years, I have seen the likes of your attitude many times - its quite laughable to be fair, and as I said before, when you realize what life is all about when you get over the awe factor of your "new country" you won't be long putting your tail between your legs. I think it might be a good thing you went away - you may learn how life works. Hope it keeps fine for you.

Here 3 years, married to a Canadian and involved in a very successful business. I live here, work here and I pay my taxes here

three years? thats nothing. Come back in ten and let's see what you have to say then. :D

oh, you forgot the bit where you said we were basically all alcoholics who were too lazy to get up off our ass. Your true feelings are coming out in your posts. People are actually advising you to not put down your past and where you come from and the people of your country , but you know best. I suppose you may have to say things like that to "fit in" and "laugh moronically" when your Canadian counterparts and employers put down the country. Believe me that doesn't work - you will be known as a "brown-noser" who has no loyalty. They will laugh along with you but they will know what type of "personality" you really have and won't trust you an inch. Believe men I've seen it many times before, probably before you were even born. Careful how you go - life has a way of biting back.

did you really want to go to Canada, or did the wife make you go. I thought such a "free spirited child of the world like yourself" would have picked a far more exotic place to go live in (Canada can be quite bland), - was the choice made for you? LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

So pretty much everyone wants to leave the kip or has already left. What a f*cking disaster of a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

do you think there's a reason why people come back saying how great it is outside ireland? maybe, just maybe, that's because ireland actually is a backwards jokeshop of a country?

Do you think there's a reason tens of thousands of people returned during the boom years? More than entitled to your opinion on Ireland and I find the concept of national identity a somewhat grey area also in many respects but the backwards jokeshop of a country label can be leveled at the majority of the nations that people emigrate to. Canada, for instance, has a massive recreational drug culture and serious issues with petty crime; one of the world's leading countries in both. Just depends on what angle you look at it from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I've been here in Ireland, for just over a year now and I'm loving it. I'm originally from New Zealand and for me, its boring and oppressive and I was glad to leave and live in a new country. I guess its just a case of same old same old no matter where you are from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CommanderC wrote: »
    I've been here in Ireland, for just over a year now and I'm loving it. I'm originally from New Zealand and for me, its boring and oppressive and I was glad to leave and live in a new country. I guess its just a case of same old same old no matter where you are from.

Absolutely and, in that regard, everyone should sample life abroad for 6 months and see how it goes. I don't get the black and white views of those who say they'll never leave Ireland. I also can't understand those who are saying as soon as they're qualified they're going to up and leave. Take your time and try to sample life here and abroad before making a decision. There are plenty of places I've been that I thought were utterly rubbish despite plenty of Irish immigrants living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    So pretty much everyone wants to leave the kip or has already left. What a f*cking disaster of a country.
    I'm not sure what thread you've been looking at, but as far as I can see most people have no intention of leaving except for a handful of people who are in an industry with no work here and one or two people who seem to feel the need to rant about the country despite not even living here. I suspect the latter are either just grossly pessimistic individuals who will never be happy anywhere, or they suffered a very bad but very specific upbringing.

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure what thread you've been looking at, but as far as I can see most people have no intention of leaving except for a handful of people who are in an industry with no work here and one or two people who seem to feel the need to rant about the country despite not even living here. I suspect the latter are either just grossly pessimistic individuals who will never be happy anywhere, or they suffered a very bad but very specific upbringing.

or they are easily led and have no principles of their own :D

seamus wrote: »

And me, who doesn't hate the place and have no trouble with work but would just like to

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Holocene

I would love to stay in Ireland, but will probably have to leave in the next couple of years for work.

I have lived in both America and Mediterranean Europe in the past. I prefer Ireland because family are here, because I love the countryside and heritage and, for all our political failings there is actually a pretty good standard of public debate in this country.

This is partly to do with size, I think. People don't appreciate this enough - a murder or even a relatively minor scandal can make the national news and have everybody discussing it for a couple of days. In places like France or Italy, that stuff just gets swallowed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

to be honest helix, you sound very young, naive, and in complete awe of somewhere that you really probably don't even know very well. A bit of life under your belt should bring you back to your senses.

No problem - you want to live in Canada, many do, but most have the common sense not to turn on your own country the minute you leave it. You will realize this sooner or later - in your case probably later.

I do love the notion that if Ireland has turned out to be a bit of a rancid shithole for you then you're simply just a bit naive and eventually you'll get in fucking line and love the place like a good little boy.

It's so amazingly precious I just want to see if I can extract, package up and sell your bullshit, because I'm certain I'd make a fortune in the fertilizer industry doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'm going abroad for a year or so next year. Not for work reasons, I am leaving my job to work abroad for a year and then travel for a few months, but I think I'll come back.

I think I'd miss the humour, the proximity of friends and family and how laid back Ireland is (especially Limerick).

But who knows, my mind might change while I'm away!

May as well experience all that stuff before I get some poor girl up the duff :cool:

I do love the notion that if your friends, neighbors and general population of Ireland has turned out to be a bit rancid i for you then you're simply just a bit naive and eventually you'll get in fucking line and love the place like a good little boy.

It's so amazingly precious I just want to see if I can extract, package up and sell your bullshit, because I'm certain I'd make a fortune in the fertilizer industry doing so.

FYP

by the way, nobody is asking him to love the place, just not to put down the population of Ireland because he caught a flight out.

Currently working out in Nigeria and while it is a nice change and chance to see somewhere different I would find it impossible to settle anywhere but Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was only speaking for myself. I can't speak for you nor would I care too.

That rolleyes just nulls any point you are trying to make, nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Bad Panda wrote: »
    That's some made up statistic. :D I have a lot family over that and I don't know anyone who dislikes the weather!

Not everyone enjoys the sunshine, but surely people would like to be guaranteed a few weeks of sun (at least!) per year without having to have your BBQ cooked in the kitchen because of torrential rain!

You can't plan anything here without having to think about the affects the weather will have on it.

There are more pressing issues than the weather though! :)

Maybe everyone I know is a miserable babstard. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement