Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you see yourself living in Ireland permanently

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Helix sounds like he's doing well for himself and fair play to him. He doesn't owe Ireland anything. People bringing up the healthcare and education he recieved here is pointless. Those are very basic things that everyone is entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Left Ireland in 2009, currently living and working in Canada.
    Will stay here for a few years, but would never raise a family here.
    Once I hit 35 or have kids (whichever comes first), i'll be back to Europe, and preferably ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Helix

take my advice - it will do you good in the long run

Halloween and Hooradion - :rolleyes::rolleyes: bu bye

(must be a "h" thing)

Lol taking your advice would be the worst thing to do judging by the nonsense you've posted in this thread.
    Helix wrote: »
    and if antisocial behaviour wasnt tolerated

and if it wasnt corrupt

and if there was any foresight

and if the people didn't have a collective "ah sure it could be worse" attitude

and if there was encouragement for increased business

and if tax money was used properly

and if there were proper facilities and amenities

and if alcoholism wasn't swept aside as being "just the craic"

Agree with all of the above, and as an outsider looking in now it's a lot more obvious than when I was actually living in Ireland. Reading the news, listening to talk shows etc has me shaking my head in disbelief more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Helix wrote: »
    and if antisocial behaviour wasnt tolerated

and if it wasnt corrupt

and if there was any foresight

and if the people didn't have a collective "ah sure it could be worse" attitude

and if there was encouragement for increased business

and if tax money was used properly

and if there were proper facilities and amenities

and if alcoholism wasn't swept aside as being "just the craic"
    I will be emigrating to the Continent for pretty much all of the above reasons. I'm especially sick of the constant alcohol abuse and our government's disgusting tolerance of it.

Ireland is also rapidly developing a serious problematic scumbag culture. Tracksuited thugs have pretty much taken over Dublin and Limerick. Cork is now going down that road too. Getting really sick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Far off fields ......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Sappa wrote: »
    As the title goes,do you want to live here all your life,would you like to live overseas and rear your family in another country or is Ireland the bee all and end all,
    Looking to move again in the next 2-3 yrs ourselves,like Ireland but I often get bored staying in the same place all the time,
    How about yourselves

Moved away just under 3 years ago. At this rate, looking at Ireland the way it is, not sure what there really is to move back to. The place is fecked.

But after traveling away and seeing some of the world, I began to realise that Ireland is not the bees' knees and cats' pajamas. It's home, for sure, but I don't think it's where my heart is anymore.

I miss my family and friends, and that's it. And as long as there are airplanes and I can see these people sometimes, it doesn't bother me anymore. So no, I don't see myself in Ireland for forever and a day. The world is too big to confine myself like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

jazzzzy wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not, however, if there is one thing I regret in life, it's not keeping up a European language -_-

Kind of a pointless regret imo. Why would you regret that when you can easily pick up it up where you left off? You're never too old to learn a language. I only started learning Spanish 3 years ago.

i only started learning german nearly 2 years ago
    am getting along nicely too
    you can always learn

we've had people from about 19 up to 60-something in our classes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If my Partners work completely dried up, we said we would go to Canada or Australia for a few years until things picked up.. but I couldn't leave Ireland for good..

The thought of being buried in a foreign land just doesn't appeal to me.. Morbid and all as it sounds.. I want to be laid to rest with my family here.

Plus my immediate family is quite small and we're very close, it's only me and my Sister and my Parents.. and they would be devastated if I emigrated with my Son.. I wouldn't have the heart for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

grenache wrote: »
    I will be emigrating to the Continent for pretty much all of the above reasons. I'm especially sick of the constant alcohol abuse and our government's disgusting tolerance of it.

Ireland is also rapidly developing a serious problematic scumbag culture. Tracksuited thugs have pretty much taken over Dublin and Limerick. Cork is now going down that road too. Getting really sick of it.

Laters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

delighted to see people moving and planning to move all over the world, but NOT putting down and insulting the people they hung around with for the first 25 years of their life, just because they decided to move on. Good on ye. :D

delighted to see people moving and planning to move all over the world, but NOT putting down and insulting the people they hung around with for the first 25 years of their life, just because they decided to move on. Good on ye. :D

Agreed. It's more the people who are like "I'm leaving because nowhere has social problems like Ireland" that make me
    > :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Agreed. It's more the people who are like "I'm leaving because nowhere has social problems like Ireland" that make me
    > :rolleyes:

Some of us our leaving with fond memories of living here. Myself and the missus certainly be telling people about the great time we've had here over the last 10 years. I've even signed up for an Irish passport to travel with instead of using my UK / NI passport.

There are some perspective issues with some of the posters here. You seem to think the rest of the world is some sort of utopian paradise, in general it would make you wonder how much of it you have yet to see ! Perspective is everything !

I am pie wrote: »
    Some of us our leaving with fond memories of living here. Myself and the missus certainly be telling people about the great time we've had here over the last 10 years. I've even signed up for an Irish passport to travel with instead of using my UK / NI passport.

There are some perspective issues with some of the posters here. You seem to think the rest of the world is some sort of utopian paradise, in general it would make you wonder how much of it you have yet to see ! Perspective is everything !

I said earlier that the thought of being in Ireland all my life doesn't perturb me. My job could bring me anywhere in the next ten years, very likely abroad, but just as likely Ireland. Neither fills me with dread. I guess I think you should try to be happy wherever you are? It seems like if you stew in the country you live in, you'll never be happy anyway. It seems more an internal issue.

I will never leave this wonderful land.
    Im here for the long haul.

Advertisement