Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Tiles Bathroom

• 24-07-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice or recommendations. I am looking to do up the ensuite in my house. The floor space is small approx 2.5 sq m. There is already tiles on it (not sure if attachted to the wooden floor boards).

So looking for thoughts on taking them up, any comments on the best way or am i as well off to tile over the existing tiles?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

efahey wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some advice or recommendations. I am looking to do up the ensuite in my house. The floor space is small approx 2.5 sq m. There is already tiles on it (not sure if attachted to the wooden floor boards).

So looking for thoughts on taking them up, any comments on the best way or am i as well off to tile over the existing tiles?

Cheers

Take them up and do the whole lot. I imagine your thinking that if you dont take up the tiles you wont need to take out the toilet and basin?

Dont go down this road. To do the job right take it all out. It looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

Any suggestions as to an easy way to get them up? Or just hammer and chisle chisel. The current tiles are laid on plywood can I use the existing ply when the old tiles come up?

Any suggestions as to an easy way to get them up? Or just hammer and chisle chisel. The current tiles are laid on plywood can I use the existing ply when the old tiles come up?

If they are laid on wood sheet just pull the whole lot up. Its not that difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hammer and chisel is way to go on this.

Take out toilet and handbasin first - handy enough to do yourself if you are confident enough.

Use hammer and chisel - is it an upstairs bathroom? I will assume seen as you mention plywood that it is and if it was me I would definitely lift existing plywood and replace with marine ply.

What are you doing with walls? Are they tiled or do they have skirting? - this will influence the thickness of the marine ply you use as will the thickness of the tile.

Yea I was looking at taking out the basin and toilet before doing the floor. I am going to change the wall tiles as well so how will this effect the thickness of the ply added. Yea it is an upstairs ensuite. I have tiled wall before but this is my first go at floors so not quite up to speed on the whole process.

• Advertisement

Just be careful with a hammer and chisel you can damage the plaster downstairs. if too violent.

I will keep that in mind, as its not such a big space then I can take a little more time and be somewhat more gentle with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Yea I was looking at taking out the basin and toilet before doing the floor. I am going to change the wall tiles as well so how will this effect the thickness of the ply added. Yea it is an upstairs ensuite. I have tiled wall before but this is my first go at floors so not quite up to speed on the whole process.

If you are changing wall tiles - ply thickness etc is irrelevant. It only comes into play if you are leaving wall as is and there is a difference between height of floor before and after - I know from bitter experience that it can be unsightly!!! Only other recommendation is to do a dry lay out of tiles first to see what they look like - and go easy with that hammer and chisel don't beat lumps out of the floor as Joey said above :)

Advertisement